ADVERTISEMENT

How successful will UNC be this season?

POLL: How successful will UNC be this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't always relate the direct tournament succes/ failure with how I judge a season.
2022 was not an enjoyable season until the last month of the season.
2019 was a terrific season to follow but had a bad ending.
Different people relate success/failure in their own ways.

I don't always relate the direct tournament succes/ failure with how I judge a season.
Great post, and I agree with what you said. Based off what I saw the other night, I do feel this is going to be a fun team. One of the funniest season I can remember as a fan was the 05-06 team (Tyler H's freshman year) They beat duke on senior night, got a three seed in the tourney, but ended up getting bounced in the second round. I still felt that was a successful year, despite the early tournament exit.

Great post, and I agree with what you said. Based off what I saw the other night, I do feel this is going to be a fun team. One of the funniest season I can remember as a fan was the 05-06 team (Tyler H's freshman year) They beat duke on senior night, got a three seed in the tourney, but ended up getting bounced in the second round. I still felt that was a successful year, despite the early tournament exit.
Yes, very fun season. Exceeded expectations all year in 06

I acknowledge that you can't anticipate the vagaries of young minds or predict how things will play out, but it certainly feels like this team is the start of something special! Versatile, skilled, and playing with joy will help increase our potential for success. I see big things soon and I really hope it is this year!

I acknowledge that you can't anticipate the vagaries of young minds or predict how things will play out, but it certainly feels like this team is the start of something special! Versatile, skilled, and playing with joy will help increase our potential for success. I see big things soon and I really hope it is this year!
Idk, I’ll gladly admit if I’m wrong, but I feel this may be a special group as well. It’s been known for a while to be successful in college basketball you’ve gotta somehow get old. I feel this team has plenty of experience, and guys who work hard, and seem to be committed to doing what it takes to win. I’m excited!

I don't take anything away from the preseason really. Every team says they're deeper, stronger, more athletic, faster, and can shoot it better than last year. Then the games count in November. Now, relative to what we were last year, we better be all of those things! lol.

My expectations for this year is a good and entertaining team. I think our offense will be better than our defense. If there's a comp, maybe something in between the 2017-18/2018-19 Luke Maye/Cam Johnson teams. It will be harder for us to get a 1 or 2 seed because the ACC might be weaker. We may need a BIG TIME regular season for that. But those 2 teams ran into some athletically gifted teams in March and we didn't match up too well with them. And those are the teams I can see us struggling with. We probably have more upside than those teams. I think depending on Bacot's production has a higher ceiling than depending on Luke Maye's production.

Another comparison. Something like those good Mike Brey Notre Dame teams in the 2010's. Really efficient offensively. Multiple dudes who could dribble it some, pass it some, shoot it some. We have more upside because of Bacot, but stylistically, that's the type of team I'm expecting.

I don't know what "special" means. Everyone has their own definition of success. It's a big year for Hubert though. We'll have to see some progress. I read a profile on Caleb Love recently and some of the coaching criticism of Hubert didn't come away great. Of course it wouldn't because it's a profile on Caleb Love. However, we need to see some evidence that Hubert knows what he's doing. No excuses now. It's his team.

I'm also interested whether you can turn winning free agency into winning on the court. It typically doesn't workout in team sports like NFL and NBA. We'll see if it works in college.

I get what you're saying and somewhat agree but there are some qualifiers. Here's the list of things I look for every year to determine if the year was successful.

1 - did we win the national championship?
2 - did we make the Final Four?
3 - Did we win the ACC reg season championship?
4 - Did we win the ACC tournament championship?
5 - Did we sweep duke?
6 - Did we beat duke?

If the answer to all those questions is "no", that is not a successful season to me.

I get what you're saying and somewhat agree but there are some qualifiers. Here's the list of things I look for every year to determine if the year was successful.

1 - did we win the national championship?
2 - did we make the Final Four?
3 - Did we win the ACC reg season championship?
4 - Did we win the ACC tournament championship?
5 - Did we sweep duke?
6 - Did we beat duke?

If the answer to all those questions is "no", that is not a successful season to me.
Very nice! I think that sums it up.

2 of 1,5,6 and I am thrilled!
At least #6 or I am disappointed!
7. Beat the stink out of the Wolp Fack!
8. puke, Kentuck, Kansas, nor Cretin win the Natty! (I'm petty)

Reactions: vikandpirate4christ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT