ADVERTISEMENT

How Would You Rank Our Players TODAY - How Good Are They NOW?

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
Some here are wedded to national rankings out of HS, some of us are disdainful of them. Wherever you stand, we all pretty much recognize that those rankings tend to get less and less useful the longer the kid is in college. We get to see him against actual collegiate competition, and some kids may develop a lot more (or less) than expected.

Here's a list of our 2021-22 squad (so far) with their ratings out of high school. If you were ranking them today - mainly as collegiate players, not so much as future pros - whose ratings would you adjust, and by how much (in ballpark terms)?

PlayerClassHS RankHS StarsYour Rank NowYour Stars Now
Caleb LoveSO14*****
Armando BacotJR27*****
RJ DavisSO50****
Dontrez StylesFR61****
D'Marco DunnFR64****
Puff JohnsonSO69****
Leaky BlackSR71****
Anthony HarrisrsSO72****
Brady ManeksSR117****
Kerwin WaltonSO133****
Justin McKoyJR229***

I included the extra columns on the theory that it would be possible to just reply to my OP and fill in whatever rankings or stars you want to adjust. I haven't tried that yet, so I hope it works.

Obviously you don't have to do it that way even if it does work.

Last edited:
Love = 5
Some here are wedded to national rankings out of HS, some of us are disdainful of them. Wherever you stand, we all pretty much recognize that those rankings tend to get less and less useful the longer the kid is in college. We get to see him against actual collegiate competition, and some kids may develop a lot more (or less) than expected.

Here's a list of our 2021-22 squad (so far) with their ratings out of high school. If you were ranking them today - mainly as collegiate players, not so much as future pros - whose ratings would you adjust, and by how much (in ballpark terms)?

Caleb LoveSO14*****5
Armando BacotJR27*****5
RJ DavisSO50****5
Dontrez StylesFR61****5
D'Marco DunnFR64****4
Puff JohnsonSO69****4
Leaky BlackSR71****4
Anthony HarrisrsSO72****4
Brady ManeksSR117****5
Kerwin WaltonSO133****4
Justin McKoyJR229***4

Caleb LoveSO14*****324
Armando BacotJR27*****145
RJ DavisSO50****414
Dontrez StylesFR61****
D'Marco DunnFR64****
Puff JohnsonSO69****1303 or 4
Leaky BlackSR71****
Anthony HarrisrsSO72****
Brady ManeksSR117****394
Kerwin WaltonSO133****484
Justin McKoyJR229***1104
My early thoughts.

My guesses on Brady and Justin are just that, guesses, based on highlight videos for Manek (which probably make him look better than he really is) and just the brief minutes McKoy played against us (not great, but promising).

I am assuming natural progression this off-season since it will approach normal. I'm also assuming our transfers benefited from their college experience. Optimism is my default! I have felt all along that this team could be really good with a few breaks!

(shhh, but I wanted to give Leaky a bump but I'll keep that as a wish for now!)

Here are the correct ratings. 100 or better is starting level for a sweet 16 team. 80 is the minimum to be considered for a UNC scholarship team . 120 or better is a starter for a Final 4 Team:

HARRIS 142
BACOT 136
WALTON 114
MANEK 102
McKOY. 97
LOVE 92
STYLES 91
JOHNSON 86
DUNN 85
DAVIS 83
BLACK. 72

Here are the correct ratings. 100 or better is starting level for a sweet 16 team. 80 is the minimum to be considered for a UNC scholarship team . 120 or better is a starter for a Final 4 Team:

HARRIS 142
BACOT 136
WALTON 114
MANEK 102
McKOY. 97
LOVE 92
STYLES 91
JOHNSON 86
DUNN 85
DAVIS 83
BLACK. 72
Bold calls.

I like Harris, but I'm not ready to think he's the best guy on the team.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Harris way too high. Love, Davis, and Black way too low. Puff hasn't been able to play enough to even rate and you feel our starting backcourt barely rates being on the team while another starter isn't an ACC level recruit??? I have no issues with the middle though!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT