ADVERTISEMENT

I do not like the idea of a Mack 2.0

I don’t like either of those scenarios. I’ve been firmly against Satterfield but would prefer him over Mack with Chizik. And where is this Kingsburry chatter coming from?

I don’t like either of those scenarios. I’ve been firmly against Satterfield but would prefer him over Mack with Chizik. And where is this Kingsburry chatter coming from?

Somebody in the media tweeted that Mack could get the job and bring Chizik and Kingsburg. That would be a damn good staff, but probably too good to be true.

Mack looks pretty young for his age but it could be all the studio makeup

Somebody in the media tweeted that Mack could get the job and bring Chizik and Kingsburg. That would be a damn good staff, but probably too good to be true.

Mack looks pretty young for his age but it could be all the studio makeup
Mack has he ties to Chizik, who through his dad has old ties to UNC football greatness. Mack has know Kingsbury since he was a player at Texas Tech. Mack knows Kingsbury's father, a TX HS coach, quite well.

That staff is possible based on the connections that exist.

Mack has he ties to Chizik, who through his dad has old ties to UNC football greatness. Mack has know Kingsbury since he was a player at Texas Tech. Mack knows Kingsbury's father, a TX HS coach, quite well.

That staff is possible based on the connections that exist.

Chizik served on Mack's staff at Texas 2005-2006 (AHC/co-DC/lb).

I don't know. Love the idea if Mack were a few years younger. But afraid that the day he started the argument on the recruiting trail would be that folks know Mack is a short timer, and then they hand it off to the guy that got fired at Auburn. This is exactly what happened to the program at South Carolina when recruits found out that Spurrier had a short shelf life. Program still hasn't recovered. And just how hungry is Mack at this point? I could get on board with it with the right assistants. This scenario probably hinges with what some well heeled boosters who long for the good ole days, and how much they campaign with their wallets

Last edited:
Reactions: Archer2
Satterfield. We have absolutely nothing to lose, and everything to gain. And this is from a guy who has been waiting for a UNC resurgence in football for 40 years. We can't do any worse. Let's take a chance on a great young coach and see what he can do.

Last edited:
Reactions: gcrow
Satterfield. We have absolutely nothing to lose, and everything to gain.
Don't overstate it. There is always something to lose. Even the most ideal hire can go bad.

That said, over the past week or two I've become convinced that unless there is the Bob Stoops or Mike Leach miracle, or the Matt Campbell unlikelihood, Satterfield is the best bet.

I wouldn’t be mad if we got Satterfield. My mindset right now is that whoever gets the job deserves a fair shake. Aside from bonehead game management, I’m going to try not to be too critical for the first year.

With Satterfield as HC, I think we would average 34 PPG next year. He would realize the potential of our Young QB's and take us to the next level immediately. We would also begin to tackle efficiently, something we haven't done for years.

This guy is a believer in fundamentals, something we haven't practiced for several years.

With Satterfield as HC, I think we would average 34 PPG next year. He would realize the potential of our Young QB's and take us to the next level immediately. We would also begin to tackle efficiently, something we haven't done for years.

This guy is a believer in fundamentals, something we haven't practiced for several years.

If we score that well then we can win the coastal. If we hire him then I hope you are right and I will be in his corner from day 1. I do like the way he coaches

App St impressed the hell out of me in that game vs. PSU. They weren’t in awe or overwhelmed by the moment. The Mountaineers went toe-to-toe with the Lions, and they played without fear.

App St impressed the hell out of me in that game vs. PSU. They weren’t in awe or overwhelmed by the moment. The Mountaineers went toe-to-toe with the Lions, and they played without fear.
I truly believe we have a diamond in the rough right before our very eyes. I pray we give him the chance. I'm an old man. I have been praying for an ACC title for a loooooong time. Our program is at it's lowest point in many years. This old man would love to see us competing for the ACCT on a regular basis, and I believe Satterfield could have us there within 3-4 years.

but if Mack were to secure Chizik as DC and Kliff Kingsbury as OC, then I would be happy with Mack as HC.
Kirk Bohls says that trio is a possibility

Bohls is Mr Insider for Longhorns sports. And that means knowing everything about all college sports in TX.

Perhaps we will roll the dice and hire Satterfield, and he will be another Fed. At that point, I will sadly eat crow and admit that I was wrong.

But I still say we should go for the gold and hire him.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Perhaps we will roll the dice and hire Satterfield, and he will be another Fed. At that point, I will sadly eat crow and admit that I was wrong.

As someone not familiar with him (but familiar with the general success of App State), can you explain why you're so high on him?

Reactions: franklin street
I've heard Satterfield's wife is Happy in Boone and doesn't want to leave, but if you wave enough $$$ in front of them that could change.
Exactly. I think he might be interested for the right money. He can be picky since he’s got a good thing going at App. But this one is in his home state, great school, facilities, winnable division, etc.

I think (hope) the ceiling is the roof for Satterfield. I’d sure hate to see him go somewhere else.

app st o stats, kinda boring to me.
do they have a game after dec 1?
  • Passing Yards
    187th
    198.9 PYPG
  • Rushing Yards
    32nd
    242.5 RYPG
  • Total Yards Per Game
    72nd
    441.4 YPG

Reactions: skubby12002
Let's take a chance on a great young coach and see what he can do.[/QUOTE]

We've done that already with Fedora.

Let's take a chance on a great young coach and see what he can do.

We've done that already with Fedora.[/QUOTE]
No we haven’t. Fed was never a “great young coach”. Satterfield is head and shoulders above Fed. But let’s go with some older, safer, mediocre coach. I won’t be a bit surprised if that happens. We’ll screw the pooch somehow.

Could 2 old timers recruit? Would 17 year old kids think they are old and washed up and not relatable to them. Chizik wasnt lining up 4 stars while he was here. Mack hasn't seen a football field in 6 years. There might be a reason no one else has hired him. No, no, and no.....

Where do we find that Woad?
TOS - an article about Holcomb's journey as a walk on. His dad tells how after he spent time with Chizik, he told him he would walk through walls for Chizik.

Chizik inspires players, especially on D. He is a wonderful leader as a DC. And assistants feel the same about him. If Chizik returns and he wants Papuchis to stay, I will not be surprised in Papuchis accepts the 'demotion' because he would be working with Chizik again, as well as for Mack.

Could 2 old timers recruit? Would 17 year old kids think they are old and washed up and not relatable to them. Chizik wasnt lining up 4 stars while he was here. Mack hasn't seen a football field in 6 years. There might be a reason no one else has hired him. No, no, and no.....
Make Thigpen the RC. He is top notch recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT