ADVERTISEMENT

I do not see GoHeels as a business rival of THI

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
so I am going to provide this link to what I think is an important article.

Over the years, I've gotten the impression that very few UNC fans truly understand how much old fashioned hard work was required to make Tar Heel football relevant once again. The admin reaction against former military service men playing football, and to GI Bill students in general, combined with hiring 'the most professional' college basketball coach in the country, which lead to an undefeated National Champ, followed by the death of alum (and National Champ coach at Maryland) Jim Tatum, ruined UNC football, including reducing its once large and very passionate fan base to one akin to that of Wake Forest: very small and very quiet, OK with losing year after year as long as it wasn't too embarrassing.

Mack has said that he will coach until he no longer has fun coaching. Fun and hard work aint the same thing, not close. Mack's message to players is that it is about fun. Those UNC weak sauce boys before Dooley usually had fun. They weren't haunted by losses. They lost no sleep over being bad. They clearly were not close to ready to work hard enough to win. So they quit when they had a real coach who demanded more than having fun. Dooley was all hard work, all the time, to master fundamentals and acquire the mettle to win at the end, on the raid, and against foes with larger stadiums and more highly recruited players.

Dooley took over UNC football at its worst stretch ever. Dooley never had the most overall talent in the ACC, but he won 3 ACC championships and left UNC an opponent to be feared: nobody had fun playing against Dooley's teams.

And it didn't end when UNC allowed him to walk. He, not Beamer, built the foundation of VT football. He took over a Loser, and closed his time there with 7 consecutive winning teams, the last one finishing 10-2-1. Then he kicked life in Wake before retiring.

Reactions: bluetoe

a-man-can-dream-though-sigh.gif

• Haha
Reactions: tarheel0910
so I am going to provide this link to what I think is an important article.

Over the years, I've gotten the impression that very few UNC fans truly understand how much old fashioned hard work was required to make Tar Heel football relevant once again. The admin reaction against former military service men playing football, and to GI Bill students in general, combined with hiring 'the most professional' college basketball coach in the country, which lead to an undefeated National Champ, followed by the death of alum (and National Champ coach at Maryland) Jim Tatum, ruined UNC football, including reducing its once large and very passionate fan base to one akin to that of Wake Forest: very small and very quiet, OK with losing year after year as long as it wasn't too embarrassing.

Mack has said that he will coach until he no longer has fun coaching. Fun and hard work aint the same thing, not close. Mack's message to players is that it is about fun. Those UNC weak sauce boys before Dooley usually had fun. They weren't haunted by losses. They lost no sleep over being bad. They clearly were not close to ready to work hard enough to win. So they quit when they had a real coach who demanded more than having fun. Dooley was all hard work, all the time, to master fundamentals and acquire the mettle to win at the end, on the raid, and against foes with larger stadiums and more highly recruited players.

Dooley took over UNC football at its worst stretch ever. Dooley never had the most overall talent in the ACC, but he won 3 ACC championships and left UNC an opponent to be feared: nobody had fun playing against Dooley's teams.

And it didn't end when UNC allowed him to walk. He, not Beamer, built the foundation of VT football. He took over a Loser, and closed his time there with 7 consecutive winning teams, the last one finishing 10-2-1. Then he kicked life in Wake before retiring.
good post, great article.

Dooley made me proud to be a Tar Heel fan. Football has become more of a finesse athletic game, but the slobberknocking and toughness is still what makes football tick. He is why I always pine for a kick-ass defense. Those who didn't witness Dooley's boys play really missed what football can be.

I remember listening to the '77 Liberty bowl against Nebraska, as tough a team as you ever want to tangle with. It seemed like every set of downs, they were carting a Nebraska player off the field. We ended up losing but they knew they were lucky to escape.

You're right about VaT also. Beamer is overrated. He only had success when he started recruiting hoodlums.

Reactions: Archer2
I loved Dooley football.
He left a lot of talent for Crum (who was a great game coach) to work with.

His '77 team only gave up 81 points all year. Dooley lost two games that year on muffed punts (same punt receiver).
I firmly believe that if it had not been for an announcer during the Liberty Bowl (against Nebraska) saying; that the Carolina defensive player had been taught to "spear" an opponent, that Dooley would not have left Carolina, and finished his career in Chapel Hill That negative national "press" sunk Dooley's tenure at Carolina.

Reactions: bluetoe
I loved Dooley football.
He left a lot of talent for Crum (who was a great game coach) to work with.

His '77 team only gave up 81 points all year. Dooley lost two games that year on muffed punts (same punt receiver).
I firmly believe that if it had not been for an announcer during the Liberty Bowl (against Nebraska) saying; that the Carolina defensive player had been taught to "spear" an opponent, that Dooley would not have left Carolina, and finished his career in Chapel Hill That negative national "press" sunk Dooley's tenure at Carolina.
hmmm. I've either just forgotten about this or was never aware which isn't likely. Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting anything. It's just that there are actually several other explanations for Dooley leaving that, to be honest, make more sense to me.

I did not like Crum at first, but when he was gone I came to appreciate how good a coach he was with the x's and the o's, like you said. Recruiting did him in.

hmmm. I've either just forgotten about this or was never aware which isn't likely. Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting anything. It's just that there are actually several other explanations for Dooley leaving that, to be honest, make more sense to me.

I did not like Crum at first, but when he was gone I came to appreciate how good a coach he was with the x's and the o's, like you said. Recruiting did him in.
The full Crum teams were not bereft oft lent. That is. mack Brown wild tale to cover theft that Mack started at UNC 1-10 and 1-10. Mack screamed everywhere that things were so bad under. him because Crum left him absolutely no talent. Lies, lies, and more lawyer-like lies by Mack.

Crum's final UNC team was 5-6, with 3 losses to Top Ten teams. Mack faced easier schedules and lost more with Crum's talent.

yes, Crum was not recruiting as well his final couple years in Chapel Hill, but that was not the main cause of the down turn in wins. The main cause was that Crum was a typical stubborn midwesterner who refused to study the changes in CFB since 1980, which means he was still trying to dow everything exactly as he had in 1980. And other teams has changed, on both sides of the ball.

To this day I still wonder what Carolina football would have been had Jim Tatum lived.

The full Crum teams were not bereft oft lent. That is. mack Brown wild tale to cover theft that Mack started at UNC 1-10 and 1-10. Mack screamed everywhere that things were so bad under. him because Crum left him absolutely no talent. Lies, lies, and more lawyer-like lies by Mack.

Crum's final UNC team was 5-6, with 3 losses to Top Ten teams. Mack faced easier schedules and lost more with Crum's talent.

yes, Crum was not recruiting as well his final couple years in Chapel Hill, but that was not the main cause of the down turn in wins. The main cause was that Crum was a typical stubborn midwesterner who refused to study the changes in CFB since 1980, which means he was still trying to dow everything exactly as he had in 1980. And other teams has changed, on both sides of the ball.
I'm not getting into Mack in a discussion about Crum, but I still believe it was more the recruiting that doomed Crum. Feel free to describe the changes that Crum wasn't keeping up with. I have an open mind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT