I have questions about our OL last yr

blazers

Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2001
Ezeudu 3rd round

Mckethan 5th round

Tucker free agent deal w Steelers

TE Walston got a free agent deal

OL coach Searels goes to UGA, the nat champs.

I think partly this shows just how bad our centers were last yr, but something else is rotten. WTF

Play calling seems part of the culprit for all the sacks, not sure what is left to point fingers at...

Ezeudu got drafted so high after losing about 20 pounds. One of the main knocks on Searels that goes well back before he was at VT is 'the fatter the guy, the more Searels is likely to love him.'

Indeed. Searels OLs always have been filled with very large players, and they always have issues with mobility and footwork, many times seeming to be on different pages. Perhaps Searels cannot coach such things. Perhaps Searels just loves fat. But whatever it is, the fact is that for 3 consecutive ACC Coastal teams, Searels was a dud as OL coach, and before that he had fans of schools who also were more than happy when he left.

I’m a NYG fan. With our lack of draft success, I wouldn’t put to much stock in Ezeudu or McKethan being picked where they were. I hope I’m wrong and they won’t be busts.

I just know that I'm very happy with Bick. You could see the improvement in the spring game. They looked more technically sound and there wasn't a single false start, even when the walk ons were in the game. That alone is a huge difference. I'm pretty sure I saw them pick up a twist too, which everybody did to UNC last season becuase they couldn't stop it.

AJ's article on the home page:

"In addition, the Tar Heels ranked No. 121 in tackles for loss allowed at 7.23 per contest."

So the crazy-high sack numbers maybe aren't exacerbated by Sam holding onto the ball too long. I knew we weren't getting much push, but I didn't realize the TFL was so horrific.

Reactions: Archer2
I just know that I'm very happy with Bick. You could see the improvement in the spring game. They looked more technically sound and there wasn't a single false start, even when the walk ons were in the game. That alone is a huge difference. I'm pretty sure I saw them pick up a twist too, which everybody did to UNC last season becuase they couldn't stop it.
And on running plays they seem to be firing off with an attitude that says 'best get out of our way.' They seem ready and happy to be aggressive.

A Searels OL tends to be too chubby, too slow of foot, too complacent.

AJ's article on the home page:

"In addition, the Tar Heels ranked No. 121 in tackles for loss allowed at 7.23 per contest."

So the crazy-high sack numbers maybe aren't exacerbated by Sam holding onto the ball too long. I knew we weren't getting much push, but I didn't realize the TFL was so horrific.
In other words, those who attacked me for pointing out the obvious about Searels are, shall we say, not well informed.

I don't think anyone here attacked you for that. Maybe on another site, but everyone here knew that Searels was an issue.
It was a 'Mack is sacred' thing. Searels is a fine exhibit of Mack's problem of feeling that his choices for assistants are far above being questioned. Those who see Mack as the Savior tend to agree with Mack on his BFF assistants. I hated the Searels choice before it was officially announced. I said here exactly what would happen, that did happen, based on knowing well what Searels did at VT and Miami, and knowing the complaints about Searels from his Texas days, which matched what I knew of him at VT and Miami.

And I have known about Mack's ego regarding his BFF assistants back to his UNC 1.0 days. If Mack were quicker to replace run of the mill BFF assistants (whether they met at coaching clinics or the assistant played for him and/or the school), he would have won more games over the years. That stubbornness may be his biggest weakness.

The program has been very fortunate in that Chizik wanted to be here again, and that he had the clout to demand that Warren come with him as his deputy. And we are about equally fortunate that Searels is gone. Mack was not forced to fire a BFF assistant, but he lost one, and the replacement of Mack's BFF is not any part of Mack's close circle. That is a very good sign.

If anyone else on the D staff leaves for any reason, the replacement needs to be chosen by Chizik and Warren. What they did their first time at UNC the first season was nearly unbelievable. They work together very well.

Within a couple of years, more people will be wondering when Mack will step aside and if Chizik wants one more shot at HC. If Chizik does become HC, here or elsewhere, the odds are huge that Warren will be his DC and Associate HC.

Reactions: heelfan1961
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT