ADVERTISEMENT

I hope our Bigs were watching Moses Wright tonight...

Sharpe could get there if he stays another year and works hard in the off-season.

I think Roy's best chance at an NCAA title before he retires will be next season provided the following happens:

Sharpe returns
Platek leaves
Brooks leaves
Love leaves
Roy brings in a speedy starting point guard that can push the fast break and plays at least 25-minutes a game.

Kennedy Chandler is the type of point guard that Roy needs to bring in. Roy is not going to win another title without getting double digit fast break points in most games. A speedy point guard will solve this problem and UNC averages in the 80's each game.

I don't know where in the heck Roy finds a player like Chandler, but I doubt he can win it with Love at the point. Just like Cole Anthony, Love will be a better NBA player.

My thoughts. Don't expect folks to agree.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Sharpe could get there if he stays another year and works hard in the off-season.

I think Roy's best chance at an NCAA title before he retires will be next season provided the following happens:

Sharpe returns
Platek leaves
Brooks leaves
Love leaves
Roy brings in a speedy starting point guard that can push the fast break and plays at least 25-minutes a game.

Kennedy Chandler is the type of point guard that Roy needs to bring in. Roy is not going to win another title without getting double digit fast break points in most games. A speedy point guard will solve this problem and UNC averages in the 80's each game.

I don't know where in the heck Roy finds a player like Chandler, but I doubt he can win it with Love at the point. Just like Cole Anthony, Love will be a better NBA player.

You missed two IMO:

Black leaves
Someone other than Kerwin learns to shoot

Reactions: TheGLOV
...vs dook.

Not just that he had 29 and 14, but when he got the ball in traffic around the basket, he didn't f*** around --- he flushed it.

Wright is a senior to be sure, but without the natural talent of any of our Bigs (other than maybe Garrison). Finish like ya mean it, fellas!
I love his footwork. He came in the league undersized and underhyped.
Great find by Josh

Wish our bigs (and our whole roster, honestly) would play with the effort and heart Wright does. We would be much better off.
I sometimes think the words "effort and heart" are synonyms for confidence and success. If you don't have the latter two, the first two are hard to observe.

Sharpe returns
Platek leaves
Brooks leaves
Love leaves

I agree with most but think he can win with Caleb IF Caleb can put his ego aside and learn to run the point. Caleb has off the chart athleticism but so does every guy in the nba. If he wants to have an nba career instead of bouncing around as the "plus one" thrown into trades he has to show that he can run the team. That means knowing how to set up teammates, when to use that athleticism, etc. I think a sophomore Love (with a different attitude) would be better than another freshman pg. Aside from obvious chemistry issues every flaw on this team is fixable BUT only through the players buying in and putting in the work. A normal summer with the returning Heels would do wonders at helping these guys learn how to play Carolina basketball.

I watched Hunter Dickinson a bit in the Ill/Mich game, it was WWF good. Forget our refs like, hmm, Ayers & TV Ted et al, but dang those guys played a very rough game and very few foul calls.

Leaky needs to be gone as well if he wants to have a chance at a title this year. I think I would like to see a BIG line up with Kessler, Bacot and Sharpe on the floor at the same time. A triangle offense where we just over power the defense. Kessler on the wing throwing in good entry passes and then a cut to the basket. Kerwin on the other wing waiting on the help def to sag so he can shoot. I believe he hit a wall last 2 games. Hopefully he can pull that out.

But none of that is gonna happen. So next year we are looking at a non shooting, attitude having team that outrebounds the competition by 20 but still loses to the guys that can shoot. Dook game should scare everyone. We should win because of our size but ... we need to DUNK it. I think I would put 40lb packs on the bigs and make them do dunking drills.

But none of that is gonna happen. So next year we are looking at a non shooting, attitude having team that outrebounds the competition by 20 but still loses to the guys that can shoot. Dook game should scare everyone. We should win because of our size but ... we need to DUNK it. I think I would put 40lb packs on the bigs and make them do dunking drills.

Maybe I am optimistic (or just not completely jaded) but I think next year could be a nice outside shooting team IF certain guys are willing to put in the work. Davis, Harris and even Walton need to be on Ray Ray's summer shooting program. Felton was 37% 3 point shooter for his career but connected on 44% his last year. That was not due to anything else but dedication and practice in the offseason. On the most successful teams I played on in various sports the common denominator was that the best guys on the team were the hardest workers in practice.

Reactions: Heelicious
I watched Hunter Dickinson a bit in the Ill/Mich game, it was WWF good. Forget our refs like, hmm, Ayers & TV Ted et al, but dang those guys played a very rough game and very few foul calls.
Yepper. I laugh because even B10 fans I know will openly admit how rough the refs allow things to get. The unspoken reason they ran Teddy outta the B10 rotation was that he'll at least blow the whistle.

Wish our bigs (and our whole roster, honestly) would play with the effort and heart Wright does. We would be much better off.
Wrights performance last night reminded me of how Hansbrough played in every game when he proudly wore a Carolina Jersey. Tyler took no prisoners and gave more punishment than he took. His grit and determination could not be and has not been matched since he last laced up his Michael Jordan’s in Detroit during the championship game against Michigan State.

...vs dook.

Not just that he had 29 and 14, but when he got the ball in traffic around the basket, he didn't f*** around --- he flushed it.

Wright is a senior to be sure, but without the natural talent of any of our Bigs (other than maybe Garrison). Finish like ya mean it, fellas!

I well remember that he was a thorn in our side in our loss to GT at the first of this season. Subsequently, he has become a thorn in the rest of the ACC Teams sides.
And... he is from Raleigh, and was under recruited and under valued to my thinking. Sometimes, you just miss on players.

Reactions: gary-7
I think the ability of teams to collapse and clog up the interior really hurts our young bigs. With some room to operate they would be more fluid.

The comment to play all 3 bigs seems like craziness to me. The defensive matchups would be awful, and pack line dees would only increase. We are the only roster running that many old school bigs out there already. I would lean to focusing on spreading the dee with more legit threats on the perimeter and letting 1 of our bigs get room to work down there.

Wrights performance last night reminded me of how Hansbrough played in every game when he proudly wore a Carolina Jersey. Tyler took no prisoners and gave more punishment than he took. His grit and determination could not be and has not been matched since he last laced up his Michael Jordan’s in Detroit during the championship game against Michigan State.
There were also multiple perimeter ballers with him on that team. That team was murder to defend.

Reactions: UNCPJH81
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT