ADVERTISEMENT

Idea for Playoff Expansion

MWHeels

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2008
While I like the four team format that exists now, I know expansion is pretty much a lock to happen at some point.

Here's my idea.

6 total teams

- Each Power 5 Champion gets automatic bid
- 1 wildcard from any conference
- Top to seeds get first round byes
- 3 and 4 seeds get first round home (campus) games
- Semifinals and Championship game at neutral site like it is now

Why this format?
- Keeps the regular season relevant.
- Rewards all conference champions
- Basically forces Notre Dame to either become full ACC member or join another conference which is long past due
- Rankings still matter for byes / home field advantages

I doubt this will ever happen, but it would be fun to watch.

Top 8 teams in final poll after conference championship weekend.
exactly. keep it simple. the playoffs were started so potentially great teams wouldn't be denied a chance because of subjective polls. eight teams seems like the right compromise. teams ranked 5 thru 8 would include some one-loss teams, some impressive undefeated teams who didn't have a strong schedule, and even an occasional two-loss team with a strong sched and losses to other highly ranked teams. a 9th ranked team might be a worthy also, but it's far less likely, and you have to draw a line.

Reactions: Archer2
The best 8 sounds right to me as well. As much as I'd like to say let all the conference champs in, there's not enough at-large slots available (like there is in basketball) to accommodate the potential fluke upset champs, and the better team that got upset.

exactly. keep it simple. the playoffs were started so potentially great teams wouldn't be denied a chance because of subjective polls. eight teams seems like the right compromise. teams ranked 5 thru 8 would include some one-loss teams, some impressive undefeated teams who didn't have a strong schedule, and even an occasional two-loss team with a strong sched and losses to other highly ranked teams. a 9th ranked team might be a worthy also, but it's far less likely, and you have to draw a line.
I agree completely.

First, let's call it what it really is, an invitational. Once we get that out of the way, in order to make it a true playoff, all 10 conference champs need to participate. Of course there will be %^&*$ing and moaning so, add 6 at large teams.The only issue would be how to select the at large teams. I like the idea of random selection but I am sure seeding the teams would be more popular. Unfortunately, bias would creep into the process (already have with the 6 at large). Once the teams are in place, use the month of Dec to play the first 3 rounds and play the championship game the 2nd weekend in Jan.

The P5, the Major Conferences, are not going to be for expansion of the playoffs unless their champs get auto bids.

They also are not going to grant auto bids to the champs of any other league.

And they are not going to turn it over to the NCAA to run.

Most of the P5 ADs and HCs would oppose anybody getting a bye, but they also might prefer byes to going to 8. I think all that is the reason that MWHeels came up with his plan.

Reactions: heelfan1961
How does a 5+3 work?
Oops, I meant 3+5.

Divisions go away but the conference schedule remains at 8 games. Every team in the conference has 3 permanent conference rivals they play every year. The other 5 conference opponents rotate every other year. This ensures that every four-year player gets to play every team in the conference, home and away, at least once in their career.

Here's what it might look like if UNC went to a 3+5 format next season. Let's assume our permanent rivals are dook, Moo, and Virginia. I'll alphabetize the rotating games for simplicity. I'll also add home and away designations to illustrate how this creates parity in scheduling.

2020:
3 Rivalry Games: dook (A), Moo (H), Virginia (A)
5 Rotating Games: Boston College (H), Clemson (A), Georgia Tech (H), Florida State (A), Louisville (H)

2021:
3 Rivalry Games: dook (H), Moo (A), Virginia (H)
5 Rotating Games: Miami (A), Pittsburgh (H), Syracuse (A), Virginia Tech (H), Wake Forest (A)

2022:
3 Rivalry Games: dook (A), Moo (H), Virginia (H)
5 Rotating Games: Boston College (A), Clemson (H), Georgia Tech (A), Florida State (H), Louisville (A)

2023:
3 Rivalry Games: dook (H), Moo (A), Virginia (A)
5 Rotating Games: Miami (H), Pittsburgh (A), Syracuse (H), Virginia Tech (A), Wake Forest (H)

The 5 rotating games flip home and away every other year. The 3 rivalry games are slightly wonky because 1 of them has to play 2 consecutive years at home and 2 consecutive years away to make the schedules work out to 4 home and 4 away games every season. I used Virginia in this example. But that's how you end up playing every team in the conference, both home and away, in a four-year period.

Another benefit of 3+5 is that you could have the best two teams appear in the conference championship game every year. Take 2016 as an example. Clemson was 7-1 and faced 6-2 Virginia Tech in the ACCG even though Louisville also finished 7-1. Under the 3+5 format, Clemson would've played Louisville instead.

More on 3+5 pods.

Last edited:
The final polls, while somewhat biased, are fairly accurate. Just take the top eight teams and play it off from there. It's not rocket science.

5 conf champs. 3 at large

I like this. Most will disagree, but I think the highest ranked "group of 5" team should either get in, or form their own playoff. It's not fair to the players at App. State, Troy, UCF, Memphis, and many others to have no chance to compete for a championship beyond their conference!
Would one of these teams win? Could they have a worse showing than Ohio State and Michigan State a few years back, or Oklahoma this year? Look at last year's championship game, not very competetive!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT