ADVERTISEMENT

If we do have a commit flip

Or Boaz. Why is everyone discounting this guy from being a legitimate QB prospect? Granted, he plays for a 1A school, but his numbers are off the charts. It seems we're recruiting him as a tight end, but he loves playing QB and has shown a penchant for doing so. I am definitely not excluding him from the QB rotation, especially since Chase has been injured his whole UNC career. I don't care how talented Chase is, if he can't stay healthy, he's of very little use to us.

Reactions: Littlejon
You answered your own question.
Look at his numbers at QB this year, his first full year as a starter. They are off the charts. He wants to compete for the QB position, and he deserves to. He has over 3,000 yards, over 50 TD's, has completed about 75% of his pass attempts, and has single digit interceptions.

If he doesn't measure up at QB when he arrives, then by all means move him elsewhere, but those numbers warrant a shot at QB. Do you disagree?

BTW, Ruder has been injured his entire UNC career, so who knows what we will or will not get from him. At this juncture, I'm not confident in his ability to stay healthy. And he has very little actual game experience. Veeeeeery little.

Or Boaz. Why is everyone discounting this guy from being a legitimate QB prospect? Granted, he plays for a 1A school, but his numbers are off the charts. It seems we're recruiting him as a tight end, but he loves playing QB and has shown a penchant for doing so. I am definitely not excluding him from the QB rotation, especially since Chase has been injured his whole UNC career. I don't care how talented Chase is, if he can't stay healthy, he's of very little use to us.

Who is Chase?

Reactions: tarheel0910
Boaz has a great touch on the long ball. He is also tall and can see over D1 linemen. Great vision.

Reactions: Archer2
Look at his numbers at QB this year, his first full year as a starter. They are off the charts. He wants to compete for the QB position, and he deserves to. He has over 3,000 yards, over 50 TD's, has completed about 75% of his pass attempts, and has single digit interceptions.

If he doesn't measure up at QB when he arrives, then by all means move him elsewhere, but those numbers warrant a shot at QB. Do you disagree?

BTW, Ruder has been injured his entire UNC career, so who knows what we will or will not get from him. At this juncture, I'm not confident in his ability to stay healthy. And he has very little actual game experience. Veeeeeery little.
Well, give Mack a call and tell him that he's wrong.

Mack and company will find out where he should play I trust that. A little different in 1A football in high school and college football.

Haven’t seen Boaz play personally, but when he played my alma mater (Reidsville, who is playing for their 21st state title) the word from everyone was the kid was legit. We had no answer for him and the kids, many of whom I know and who my wife teaches, said the guy had their respect. Jimmy Teague (Reidsville coach) is a NC HOF coach and has sent kids to UNC (2 currently on the team), so he knows a thing or two about football players. Word is he was very impressed with Boaz, as was the DC, who teaches in the room next to my wife.

Oh, and I understand Mack was at Reidsville Friday night for their win to send them back to the 2AA state championship game this weekend. Not 100% sure he was or who he was there to see, but if he was, I’m pretty sure I know who it was.

Bottom line is smaller schools can and do produce D1 talent. Again, Reidsville is going for #21 (won it last year), which is by far more than anyone else in NC, so they don’t do this year in and year out with scrubs.

if Mack can get Boaz to sign, I hope he gives him a shot at QB and, if it doesn’t work out, put him on the field somewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: matt 1976
Well, give Mack a call and tell him that he's wrong.
I understand Mack has told Boaz that he is still open to the possibility of him playing QB. With those numbers, do you disagree that he should get a shot at QB, especially with Jace's injury issues? What harm is there in that?

Haven’t seen Boaz play personally, but when he played my alma mater (Reidsville, who is playing for their 21st state title) the word from everyone was the kids was legit. We had no answer for him and the kids, many of whom I know and who my wife teaches, said the guy had their respect. Jimmy Teague (Reidsville coach) is a NC HOF coach and has sent kids to UNC (2 currently on the team), so he knows a thing or two about football players. Word is he was very impressed with Boaz, as was the DC, who teaches in the room next to my wife.

Oh, and I understand Mack was at Reidsville Friday night for their win to send them back to the 2AA state championship game this weekend. Not 100% sure he was or who he was there to see, but if he was, I’m pretty sure I know who it was.

Bottom line is smaller schools can and do produce D1 talent. Again, Reidsville is going for #21 (won it last year), which is by far more than anyone else in NC, so they don’t d this year in and year out with scrubs.

if Mack can get Boaz to sign, I hope he gives him a shot at QB and, if it doesn’t work out, put him in the field somewhere.
I agree.

Last edited:
I understand Mack has told Boaz that he is still open to the possibility of him playing QB. With those numbers, do you disagree that he should get a shot at QB, especially with Jace's injury issues? What harm is there in that?
If Mack says he shouldn't get a shot, then I will disagree with you. Numbers don't always tell the whole story.

My hardcore Razorback friend has sent me an article in which Criswell reacts to the hiring of Sam Pittman: "North Carolina quarterback commitment Jacolby Criswell, 6-1, 218 pounds of Morrilton chose the Tar Heels over numerous scholarship offers from schools including Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, North Carolina State and Georgia.

Criswell, the 2019 Gatorade Arkansas Player of the Year, is an ESPN 4-star prospect and the No.11 dual-threat quarterback in the nation. He's looking forward to hearing from Pittman.

"He's a great recruiter," said Criswell, who talked to Pittman during the recruiting process at Georgia. "He'll check some boxes that Arkansas does not have checked right now. From what I hear, he was a good coach at Arkansas when he was there. Looking forward to having a conversation with him."

If Mack says he shouldn't get a shot, then I will disagree with you. Numbers don't always tell the whole story.
"Boaz said he was recruited as an athlete — with possibilities of playing tight end, outside linebacker or quarterback. He attended Brown’s Showtime Camp, where he committed to North Carolina, and played in all three positions at the recruiting exposure event in Chapel Hill.

His desire to play quarterback hasn’t fallen on deaf ears, either. Those conversations took place when North Carolina’s Jace Ruder, the backup quarterback to true freshman Sam Howell, suffered a leg injury in the first half of the Tar Heels’ 34-31 loss to Appalachian State on Sept. 21. Boaz said he spoke with Brown, along with Lonnie Galloway, the team’s wide receivers coach, and Tim Brewster, the assistant head coach in charge of tight ends, about his chances as a quarterback.

“They told me that if I was on campus right now, I’d be the second-team quarterback,” Boaz said. “But, with that being said, ‘Also when you get down here, we’re going to reassess everything and put you where you need to go to help the team the best.’”

Sounds like the staff is open to giving him a shot. So I guess I don't have to "give Mack a call and tell him he's wrong".

"Boaz said he was recruited as an athlete — with possibilities of playing tight end, outside linebacker or quarterback. He attended Brown’s Showtime Camp, where he committed to North Carolina, and played in all three positions at the recruiting exposure event in Chapel Hill.

His desire to play quarterback hasn’t fallen on deaf ears, either. Those conversations took place when North Carolina’s Jace Ruder, the backup quarterback to true freshman Sam Howell, suffered a leg injury in the first half of the Tar Heels’ 34-31 loss to Appalachian State on Sept. 21. Boaz said he spoke with Brown, along with Lonnie Galloway, the team’s wide receivers coach, and Tim Brewster, the assistant head coach in charge of tight ends, about his chances as a quarterback.

“They told me that if I was on campus right now, I’d be the second-team quarterback,” Boaz said. “But, with that being said, ‘Also when you get down here, we’re going to reassess everything and put you where you need to go to help the team the best.’”

Sounds like the staff is open to giving him a shot. So I guess I don't have to "give Mack a call and tell him he's wrong".
I know I commented on that quote back then. I noted that the staff evidently saw Boaz the HS SR as a better QB right then than either of the 2 walk on freshmen we have this year.

With Fortin gone and Ruder injured after minimal snaps both years, even if Criswell enrolls, Boaz will get a shot to practice at QB.

And if you think in terms of a change of pace back up QB possibly helping, a 6-8 QB is a real change of pace. Ds can't practice against that height.

Fingers crossed but we seem to be in good shape with keeping both. We shall see though you never know with these young men.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT