ADVERTISEMENT

Is Mr. Floyd's Death Being Used To Change All Of Society?

ChapelHeeled

All-American
Nov 9, 2011
So, the question is, has the death of George Floyd caused a potential societal change on all levels? It seems to at least be potentially at play in many, many situations. My point is that though this may indeed be a watershed moment, it should not necessarily be the beginning of a total societal change, on every level. We had many, many things going in the proper direction. Please know that I simply believe that not all was lost when George Floyd was alive and not all is lost now. It is time for our leaders to now still lead without everything being referred to one's race. I support Black Lives Matter. However, I do not support everything in all of society now being subject to charges of being racist if they do not absolutely change in some fashion. Again, not all was wrong then and not all is wrong now. For me personally I happen to believe in racial inclusion, on all levels. We are doing many things properly as a society, on the whole. Yes we can always do more. Yes we will do more, I do believe. Please have a great day and a great week...

We have been is change for a while. Unfortunately, it creates division. It also goes beyond george Floyd, corona, trump, or any other hot topic. My hope is we can all sit at a table and resolve issues. But its painful. When overly sensitive people take up a cause that has absolutely nothing to do with them, it skews the end result. When people with no experience outside of their immediate world gets involved, it skews the end result.
Black folks know full well about racial inequality. Its a life they have lived forever. But even at its worse, its still better than what it was 100 years ago. It takes time. We have to raise a whole generation to understand this. Black folk needs to continue to denounce the violent tendencies of some of their fringe groups as well. Everyone needs to grasp that racism is in all races. It has to work out a cross the board.

Reactions: bleeduncblue
as long as there are humans, there will be racism and prejudice. as long as there are police officers, there will be police brutality. society is simply more aware of both of those today than they were pre-internet.

the severity of those things has died down with each passing generation and that will continue to be the case.

Reactions: tazki
the severity of those things has died down with each passing generation and that will continue to be the case.

So I agree with this - but every 30 years (a generation) you have some massive racial protest and outrage that coincides with things getting better.

Are we better in the 70s and 80s without the 60s protests that demanded better? Are we better in the 2000's and 2010's without the 90s protests that demanded even better? Will we be better in the 2030s and 2040s because of these current protests?

Impossible to know because they did happen but it's an interesting thought.

In my lifetime i consider these events as “society changers”

Vietnam war
Watergate
Three mile island
9/11
Covid
Floyd Death

all created fundamental shifts in how society in general views certain things. To have two back to back in the same year is a trip.

The notion that George Floyd - a known criminal - is being celebrated and revered shows just how far off the rails we've gone. I'm sorry he was killed by a bad police officer and I hope his family gets the justice they are seeking. But we need to stop immortalizing this guy.

MV5BY2I3ZmUwOTMtNzgyYi00NjNlLTg3ZDEtMjZiZDhlMzRmOGVhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM4MjM0Nzg@._V1_.jpg

The notion that George Floyd - a known criminal - is being celebrated and revered shows just how far off the rails we've gone. I'm sorry he was killed by a bad police officer and I hope his family gets the justice they are seeking. But we need to stop immortalizing this guy.

but he’s a born again christian! (er...WAS) your evangelical friends most certainly are claiming he lives forever! (Immortal). Lol.

Did you see Candace Owens' 18 minute facebook video on this? Not that this makes what she says, correct or incorrect, but she lays out facts re: George Floyd past (and she opposes Floyd's death and is glad Chauvin will get what he deserves)....- and she points out crime stats by race.

81 million views of her video as of this morning. That's a lot of exposure via any sort of media.

Did you see Candace Owens' 18 minute facebook video on this? Not that this makes what she says, correct or incorrect, but she lays out facts re: George Floyd past (and she opposes Floyd's death and is glad Chauvin will get what he deserves)....- and she points out crime stats by race.

81 million views of her video as of this morning. That's a lot of exposure via any sort of media.

She shills for turning point. Lots of Koch brothers money pushing those posts out there.

Candace Owens is an idiot though. Not because I disagree with her politics but because she just genuinely isn’t very intelligent. She’s a useful idiot to the right much like Dave Rubin. She got exposed on Joe Rogan’s podcast when she tried some climate change denial BS and he embarrassed her.

Reactions: SorryNotSorry
In my lifetime i consider these events as “society changers”

Vietnam war
Watergate
Three mile island
9/11
Covid
Floyd Death

all created fundamental shifts in how society in general views certain things. To have two back to back in the same year is a trip.
Here's a society-changer:
intro400.jpg

There is no excuse for the police officer's actions in killing Floyd, nor the inaction of the other officers on the scene. Chauvin obviously used excessive, unnecessary force on a man who was already subdued. He, and the other officers, should and will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. While that hasn't always been the case, I assure you it will going forward.

But let's not kid ourselves. Floyd was a career criminal who was headed down a path to self destruction, it wasn't going to end well. Yet it shouldn't have ended like it did. But I don't think his death was racially motivated, I think he was killed because Chauvin is one of a small minority of policemen that get off on the power trip of exerting their power over others. The power that policemen have is inevitably going to attract a certain number of those sickos.

But you have groups like BLM and Antifa using this unfortunate event to further their political agendas. They wish to divide us along racial lines in order to create unrest and anarchy in our country. One need only visit their sites to see this.

BLM aren't really concerned with the loss of black lives, they're concerned with the miniscule number of blacks that are killed by the police, less than 1% BTW. The other 99% don't matter to them. Do you see them protesting the dozens of black people who are murdered every week in Oakland, Baltimore, Chicago, etc...? No. Why are they silent about these murders? Don't these black lives matter? The reason is that the vast majority of these murders are committed by other black people. So it doesn't fit the agenda that blacks are routinely being targeted for murder by LEO's. It isn't divisive so it isn't news.

According to the Washington Post, a liberal newspaper to say the least, over twice as many unarmed white people than black people were killed by cops in 2019. That certainly doesn't support the false narrative being espoused by BLM, that LEO's are wantonly killing innocent black people. Yes, cops kill innocent people from time to time, but those instances are far from common.

Do we need to monitor LEO's actions very closely? Of course. I think every one should be required to wear a camera at all times. And if an officer has serious violations on his record, they should be available in a national database so that he can't relocate to another force without them being known. They should be held to the highest standard and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law if found guilty of violating citizens' rights.

She shills for turning point. Lots of Koch brothers money pushing those posts out there.

Candace Owens is an idiot though. Not because I disagree with her politics but because she just genuinely isn’t very intelligent. She’s a useful idiot to the right much like Dave Rubin. She got exposed on Joe Rogan’s podcast when she tried some climate change denial BS and he embarrassed her.
Rogan's podcasts are the best!

Owens is a hottie, though! She's young. She might grow and change if the money doesn't get her.

No. Do you define racism as not wanting to celebrate a criminal?

See, I told you you’d end up looking bad again. It’s already started.
America's entire history is paved with glorifying criminals and criminal behavior. A street criminal deserves just as much recognition as the business criminals. Show some respect.

Reactions: SorryNotSorry

BOOOOOOM !! the dude held a pregnant (black) woman at gunpoint while other thugs destroyed her home and robbed her, then he pistol whipped her. he has numerous prison sentences. i believe in 2nd chances ... but not 3rd, 4th, 5th ...

and of course he did not deserve to die, but this idea that he's suddenly a black martyr ... gimme a friggin break.

I have no idea what they think, nor do I give a shit. Happy?

Vote Cletus! Campaign slogan: "Black people: Who gives a shit?"

If you were running for a Mississippi Senate seat in 1870 you'd be a shoe in.

Pin that post everywhere! Old, mostly southern born-and-raised white guys, at that.

i'm a 42 year old white guy, born and raised in the south. my daughter is black .. my brother in law is black ... my nephew is black ... my niece is half black ... my step dad is black. i spend 200 days a year in a 3rd world country that is 99.9% black. i GUARANTEE you i have far more informed opinions and expertise in this area of race relations than your sorry bleeding heart can even begin to have.

but keep on stereotyping ... the action that liberals SAY they hate the most.

Vote Cletus! Campaign slogan: "Black people: Who gives a shit?"

If you were running for a Mississippi Senate seat in 1870 you'd be a shoe in.
No, more like ‘Vote Cletus, I’m not here to take care of your sorry ass’.

Reactions: bluetoe
You wrote that as if to insinuate she needs to “grow and change”. Is that what you meant or just how it came across?
Everyone needs to grow. I don't know, and have no control over, how things "come across" to people. Especially people like you.

But to the world, you’re a worse person for pointing that out than the black man that actually committed those crimes. Think about that.
People aren't denying that he had a criminal past. What they're disgusted with is the state of law enforcement that should NEVER be doing what they are doing. It's become an institutional rot. Of course they were caught doing it to a criminal. That's their job! You and your buddies look like fools because you're choosing to focus on the criminal rather than the crimes of the law enforcement. Law enforcement are not supposed to commit crimes while they claim to be protecting and stopping crimes.

so, in your opinion, in what way does she need to grow. Be specific
I don't know. I don't know her. I can't help that you're one of her biggest fanboys. We all need to grow in whatever ways our lives take us, the paths and choices and decisions we make.

People aren't denying that he had a criminal past. What they're disgusted with is the state of law enforcement that should NEVER be doing what they are doing. It's become an institutional rot. Of course they were caught doing it to a criminal. That's their job! You and your buddies look like fools because you're choosing to focus on the criminal rather than the crimes of the law enforcement. Law enforcement are not supposed to commit crimes while they claim to be protecting and stopping crimes.
I’m disgusted he was out on the streets.

translation: “I didn’t actually do shit and I was caught just making shit up. It’s kind of my M.O. around here.”

translation: “I was again caught just talking to hear myself talk. I tend to do that frequently because i think it makes me look more informed. But I’m the king of talking a lot to say nothing at all.”
That's how it always comes across to you. That's good. There's such balance in nature!

I'm not talking on here. I'm writing on here. You're reading. You're not listening. There's a huge difference between written and spoken.

I’m not focusing on the criminal. I fully acknowledge that he was treated poorly by a bad police officer. As I stated, I hope the family gets justice. But I’m not going to celebrate a criminal and allow for him to be falsely built up as a beacon of light in the black community. But I’m not surprised you’re on board with it. This phony facade you e created here needs to go that direction.

You're not going to allow him to be a beacon of light in the black community? I had no idea you had that type of power to control who is idolized in a community you don't belong to, incredible stuff.

Oh good, you’ve decided to actually poast a thought (albeit a poor one and still with too much sarcasm). What is this poast supposed to even mean. Of course I’m not black and I can’t make anyone idolize or not idolize someone. But I will make sure to promote his criminal activity every time someone tries to celebrate him.
Except that,...NO, I’m not!
Yes, you are. I'm a phony and full of shit, and even I can see that you are doing that.

ADVERTISEMENT