ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Leonard rumor

blazers

Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2001
A friend of a friend's buddy was eavesdropping and overheard a guy saying his wife's friend has a source in the AD who said that Gene is going to be replaced with Jim Leonard and he'll have a large, long buyout clause which financially make him the likely person to take over when Mack steps aside.

Big name, but it still feels like kicking the can down the road unless S&C and everything else is rebooted.

He's on some lists for the Packers DC job. I'm thinking that would probably be higher on the coaching food chain.

As a Green Bay fan, I can say we would’ve loved to have him a few years ago but he turned it down. Would be a great hire, hoping he’s either in Chapel Hill or Green Bay in 2024.
I'm wondering where all this is coming from. This isn't the first time I've heard something about him coming here. Is this just some social media stuff or are we talking real smoke. I would think if it were going to happen, it would happen pretty soon.

I'm wondering where all this is coming from. This isn't the first time I've heard something about him coming here. Is this just some social media stuff or are we talking real smoke. I would think if it were going to happen, it would happen pretty soon.
I don't think there is any smoke to him wanting to come here as I think he ends up in the NFL with a pretty good franchise that is set up for him. If he stays in college, it's going to be for a higher profile school, IMO. To be the HC here? I'd say he'd have some interest, but coming here as a DC? I doubt it.

I don't think there is any smoke to him wanting to come here as I think he ends up in the NFL with a pretty good franchise that is set up for him. If he stays in college, it's going to be for a higher profile school, IMO. To be the HC here? I'd say he'd have some interest, but coming here as a DC? I doubt it.
That would be what I would think too. I've just heard it being mentioned in a couple different places, so who knows

You'd think he'd certainly have interesting regarding HC - heck Wiscy didn't even give him the keys. But DC, yeah, you'd think it would take a ton of money.

There's tons of scuttlebutt and smoke that Mack isn't retiring, but that defensive staff changes are coming. Source could range from odd wording from Gene in a pre-bowl presser to "insiders" who say the D will have an upgrade soon.

It will be hard to get excited about anything other than Mack stepping down.

There's tons of scuttlebutt and smoke that Mack isn't retiring, but that defensive staff changes are coming. Source could range from odd wording from Gene in a pre-bowl presser to "insiders" who say the D will have an upgrade soon.

It will be hard to get excited about anything other than Mack stepping down.
Yea, I've heard at least half a dozen folks say defensive changes are coming. Gene/Cross, both or one of the other. Hopefully ST coach as well.

Reactions: heelpharm
A friend of a friend's buddy was eavesdropping and overheard a guy saying his wife's friend has a source in the AD who said that Gene is going to be replaced with Jim Leonard and he'll have a large, long buyout clause which financially make him the likely person to take over when Mack steps aside.

Big name, but it still feels like kicking the can down the road unless S&C and everything else is rebooted.
I will take that even if Mack demands 2 more years as HC.

The 3 guys who have never been full time HCs who would be very high on my list for replacement of Mack (along with a couple HCs) are Tommy Rees, Glenn Schumann, and Jim Leonhard. I think the odds are huge that all 3 will be very successful HCs before long. Schumann is all SEC, and so likely could never get hired by UNC. But guys from ND and Wisconsin could get hired by UNC.

He could easily come back and get a HC gig. He doesn't need to be UNC DC to get that job
Could easily? How many colleges hire an NFL coordinator as HC? NFL coordinator jobs are the step your take if you want to be NFL HC.

I will take that even if Mack demands 2 more years as HC.
Not me. I think Mack has an 8 win ceiling no matter who the coordinators are. Bateman and Chizik aren't the reason our DL is pillow soft, so I don't think Glenn S or Jim Leonhard or anyone else could fix that.

How many UNC DC get a head coaching job?
A top one brought in now would be sitting very pretty to replace Mack, unless Mack has so screwed up everything that even a top DC still in his prime cannot right the ship.

Not me. I think Mack has an 8 win ceiling no matter who the coordinators are. Bateman and Chizik aren't the reason our DL is pillow soft, so I don't think Glenn S or Jim Leonhard or anyone else could fix that.
That is my feeling too as long as Mack remains. But now is the time to make thew top young DC hire by telling him that if he gets the D turned around, the HC job is after 2 years. If Mack will not step down, he will be fired.

Do I feel confident that is what they will do? Not at all. But is what they should do.

Reactions: Archer2
That is my feeling too as long as Mack remains. But now is the time to make thew top young DC hire by telling him that if he gets the D turned around, the HC job is after 2 years. If Mack will not step down, he will be fired.

Do I feel confident that is what they will do? Not at all. But is what they should do.

Mack should have been hired for2 years he got us back on the right rack in 2 year then we should have shown him the door and made a good hire.

My fear is they hire someone that does a great job and then they get stolen away by a bigger name. We all know it's going to happen.

My fear is they hire someone that does a great job
Confused Spaced Out GIF by Sticos Oppslag

Mack should have been hired for2 years he got us back on the right rack in 2 year then we should have shown him the door and made a good hire.

My fear is they hire someone that does a great job and then they get stolen away by a bigger name. We all know it's going to happen.
But if you hire fearing losing a top young prospect aft he wins, then you always make certain you get mediocrity.

One good thing about Leonhard in that regard is that his dream job, Wisconsin, has already broken his heart. Even if Fickell were to start to lose enough that he gets fired, Leonhard may well want nothing to do with the job. Wisconsin keeps AD staff for decades. And the boosters remain the same. The same people who took Fickell over him would be the ones trying to get him back. That rarely goes over smoothly.

In terms of school type, Leonhard is going to prefer a UNC to an Auburn or Syracuse. He would find the Research Triangle perfect for living in many ways.

With all this talk about the "big donors" hiring Mack, I wonder if their pockets are deep enough to shell out for a top-notch DC or HC who may not be a golden-throated, silver-tongue orator like Mack is. Or do they even care that much about the program?

With all this talk about the "big donors" hiring Mack, I wonder if their pockets are deep enough to shell out for a top-notch DC or HC who may not be a golden-throated, silver-tongue orator like Mack is. Or do they even care that much about the program?
More of the big key donors truly care now than was true when Dean Smith was basketball coach. Or when Bunting kept being given more time. More finally see that unless your football is very healthy, your athletics program is always easy to assault at last by assaulting your conference. So it is possible that now we have boosters demanding that everybody face facts, starting with Mack's age, and adding to that that mack has done exactly at UNC what got him fired at Texas. And then they demand we arrange now for the replacement of Mack so the program can take a step or two forward.

My fear is they hire someone that does a great job and then they get stolen away by a bigger name.
Same happened at Duke. Which would you prefer as a dookie, a crappy 2023 under a mediocre coach who will give you more mediocre results in 2024 and beyond, or a great 2023 in which you are flirting with the top-25 (great for Duke standards) even though you aren't sure what you'll have in 2024?

Reactions: Archer2
So I guess the Jim Leonard rumor was just that a rumor
It may be that group of boosters wanted to bring that off - touring on Leonhard as HC in waiting after a year - giving Mack one more year and no more. But Mack would never agree to that. Mack's ego is massive. He could pass a lie detector test today saying he is the best HC in the ACC.

So while Collins in with Cross replaced could be a nice step up, it also could mean little. I think that unless we see real important in depth at LB that Collins will be hampered, and I think it ought to be claer that Thig is not the guy to get that done. But Mack will hang on to yet another former player who worships him as long as he can.

And Mack will keep aging, every month. Mack will hang on and on, and we will lose opportunity to hire young up and coming guys like Leonhard and Schumann.

• Sad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT