ADVERTISEMENT

Job openings

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
Blake Anderson left Arkansas State for Utah State.

Arkansas State hired Butch Jones, who was fired by Tennessee while being 7 games above .500 for the Vols, including 3-0 in bowls.

Illinois fired Lovie Smith, who was 17-39 with the Illini.

Auburn fired Gus Malzahn, who was 68-35 with the Tigers.

Thanks @WoadBlue. I don't foresee Mack making too many changes after a very good year, especially if we can beat a very good team in a bowl game. I would be walking on clouds

I know you're not a big Searles fan, but we're putting up record numbers with a revamped OL. Longo is who worries me a little, but he was spot on in that game. If you can run it down their throat, run it down their throat. He mixed in the perfect amount of pass.

sumlin all of a sudden has become a zero.
That is surprising. I thought that the weaknesses he had at A&M would not matter as much in the Pac. But he has hit rock bottom. Rich Rodriguez had 5 winning teams in 6 seasons at Arizona and was fired. Sumlin inherits a team used to winning, and drives it into the ground.

Herm Edwards is in many ways an opposite type coach to Sumlin. If Arizona makes a bad hire, AZ St will own the Wildcats for a long time.

If I'm AZ AD, I'm calling Malzahn.

Reactions: gteeitup
That is surprising. I thought that the weaknesses he had at A&M would not matter as much in the Pac. But he has hit rock bottom. Rich Rodriguez had 5 winning teams in 6 seasons at Arizona and was fired. Sumlin inherits a team used to winning, and drives it into the ground.

Herm Edwards is in many ways an opposite type coach to Sumlin. If Arizona makes a bad hire, AZ St will own the Wildcats for a long time.

If I'm AZ AD, I'm calling Malzahn.

malzahn’s wife is nuclear...she’s not for every setting, just sayin.

Reactions: midline
Very true. And if I remember correctly his wife was a huge reason that he wasn't considered more seriously at UNC years ago. Supposedly she is a very devout Christian. I don't have an issue there because I live Jesus as much as anybody. But apparently there was some video of her at some church conference where she was just way over the top.

Vanderbilt hires alum Clark Lea, the ND DC who stuffed the UNC run game that made Miami look like a weaker 1AA team.

It's a risky move for Lea. He is now at the top of the game as a DC, and he is only 38. The Vandy program is in very bad shape: no depth and totally demoralized. If Lea fails to revive it, he could be stuck with a DC job he doesn't care for. But if he wins at Vandy, he should be set for all kinds of job offers.

Reactions: Archer2
Vanderbilt hires alum Clark Lea, the ND DC who stuffed the UNC run game that made Miami look like a weaker 1AA team.

It's a risky move for Lea. He is now at the top of the game as a DC, and he is only 38. The Vandy program is in very bad shape: no depth and totally demoralized. If Lea fails to revive it, he could be stuck with a DC job he doesn't care for. But if he wins at Vandy, he should be set for all kinds of job offers.

Don't understand this hire. Supposedly, folks at Vandy are smart. Then why do you hire what you just fired? Defensive coach with superior talent who won't have that talent advantage at Vandy. These supposed geniuses that have all the answers in administrations that make these hires don't have any more of a clue than anybody off the street.

Don't understand this hire. Supposedly, folks at Vandy are smart. Then why do you hire what you just fired? Defensive coach with superior talent who won't have that talent advantage at Vandy. These supposed geniuses that have all the answers in administrations that make these hires don't have any more of a clue than anybody off the street.
What were the other realistic options though? It's Vandy. That isn't exactly a hot spot that's going to attract big name coaches.

What were the other realistic options though? It's Vandy. That isn't exactly a hot spot that's going to attract big name coaches.

Got to do something different at Vandy. Maybe bring in the guy from Army to run the triple option. Tough to prepare for in a week. Shortens the game. Mason was a good coach. I figure the guy from ND is as well. But just like when Mason left Stanford for Vandy, all those supposed genius defensive schemes don't work as well when you don't have talent. So basically, Vandy hired what they just fired.

I think they hope an alum will be the difference. Mason came from Stanford and did not know SEC football up close. But I'm with you: I'd have focused on somebody who has HC experience showing he can win with less talent than his opponents, preferably a guy from the offense side.

My brother the Vandy guy is disappointed. He wanted Coastal's Jamey Chadwell.

True. It takes a Dave Clawson type to win consistently at places like that. And Clawson seems very happy at Wake.

That became a rumor last week. He is from IL, played at Iowa, and did very well at Wisconsin. He might be a guy who can win in only 1 league or region.

I agree that Bielema is better a fit in the Big 10. I think Wisconsin is a better program than Illinois, but I still think he can have success there.

Orgeron is rebuilding the entire LSU staff. The report is that Ensminger is retiring, and that means a new OC. LSU boosters will prefer someone who is proven to produce a top passing game and has SEC experience.

It appears that Auburn is going to sign Boise State's Bryan Harsin as HC. Omitting this partial season, as BSU HC Harsin has 5 teams with double digit wins and 1 team with only 9 wins. But he has 0 SEC experience. He does have 2 years as Texas co-OC and 1 year as Arkansas St HC, but the rest of the career is out west.

If Saban keeps winning, can Harsin last as long at Auburn as Malzahn did?

It would be a good move. He's a better DC than a head coach, and as you said, he's been there before. Plus, he's a good recruiter.
If Orgeron doesn't get at least 1 Big Name for a coordinator, LSU boosters are going to have knives out.

I'm a little surprised Fedora is gone after one season. Normally new assistants get a little more time. Was their offense bad? I didn't really watch a lot of Baylor games this year.

The risk is all Vanderbilt's.
Lea will walk away with millions whether he is successful or not. If he fails, everyone will just say that nobody can win at Vanderbilt without cheating, they won't blame Lea, and he will walk away with millions.

I'm a little surprised Fedora is gone after one season. Normally new assistants get a little more time. Was their offense bad? I didn't really watch a lot of Baylor games this year.
Larry had little incentive to work, much less put the time in to be successful.

yes, it was bad.
yes it was.

The Passing Game Coordinator was also fired. He came from LSU with Aranda and was not ready. He and Fedora also had very different visions, and Fedora sees 'his' offense religiously: it is his. So there was major clash that meant nothing was done consistently with clear goals and everybody on the same page.

Fedora strongly prefers a spread with lots of QB running and the QB as the star, the QB as the playmaker. WR coach Munoz was expected by Baylor boosters to be implementing an offense like the one Joe Brady ran at LSU, in which the QB gets the ball to playmakers primarily by passing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT