ADVERTISEMENT

Justin McKoy is now a Tarheel

I rather have platek another year.
This cat is a 3 star recruit that turned us down 2 yrs ago i think.
I dont think 3 star recruits will help us.

He didnt produce much at Virginia but that was probably due to the players in front of him.

Nonetheless, welcome to Chapel Hill. I'm sure he will be much better than Platek (no offense to Platek).

Reactions: ChapelHeeled

One three star for another. We know what platek can do so let’s give him a shot then we can blast him lol

3 stars at times grow up to be 4 stars and if not are valuable role players for a good team. I’m confident that “this cat” will be contributing down the road that will make your message look foolish.

I hope the young man can come in and get his degree. I just don't think he will get any playing time at UNC.

He will not only get minutes, he may just start at the 3.
I don't see that happening. He doesn't seem quick enough to guard 3s to me. Bacot-Kessler-McCoy would be an extremely slow front court laterally. If we don't get Kessler back I think he could start at the 4 though, and/or be the third big off the bench. He's 6-8, 225, so same height and only 15 lbs lighter than Luke Maye. With his frame it looks like he could put on more weight too. Can shoot so would be getting us away from two non-shooting bigs if he starts at the four. I love that he's a strong rebounder, has some agility, and can stretch the floor more than Brooks.

I don't see that happening. He doesn't seem quick enough to guard 3s to me. Bacot-Kessler-McCoy would be an extremely slow front court laterally. If we don't get Kessler back I think he could start at the 4 though, and/or be the third big off the bench. He's 6-8, 225, so same height and only 15 lbs lighter than Luke Maye. With his frame it looks like he could put on more weight too. Can shoot so would be getting us away from two non-shooting bigs if he starts at the four. I love that he's a strong rebounder, has some agility, and can stretch the floor more than Brooks.
Of course, that’s if Bacot and Kessler return. I think he could get considerable minutes at PF if needed. Glad to add another big.

McKoy is a great 3/4 type player! He’s strong enough to play down low and can guard on the wing..he can shoot the 3 some, put the ball on the floor and is athletic enough to do other things around the basket! Gonna be a great player for us! He avg almost 4 pts and 4 rebounds again playing 11 min behind some very good players...let him play 20 to 25 minutes in our system and he could be a 12 and 8 type player! As long as he plays hard and smart he will be good! Brooks at the 4 played neither hard or smart a lot of times last year and we need that this year...especially from that 3/4 stretch position

Reactions: bobcrane14
Just have to wait and see if he's a fit at the 3. I watched him play this year and he has enough quicks to guard opposing 3's. He has good form on his shots. If he can produce on offense, he stands a very good chance to start unless another such as Puff or the frosh really show out to Hubert and staff.

Honestly did not really love the guy out of high school for our needs at the time, now is seasoned a couple years at UVa so you know he understands about playing hard. I do think he is the type of player Hubert likes, a guy that will be around for all his eligibility (this past season would have been his soph season so it being a freeby due to covid, I think he has 3 more seasons he can play). I would consider him now a foundational type of player, one of those guys that you get for all of their eligibility that gives you a ton of experience down the road, guys that get better each season they play. 6'8" and nearly 220lbs, can play inside if needed or step out, and in state kid as well.

Just have to wait and see if he's a fit at the 3. I watched him play this year and he has enough quicks to guard opposing 3's. He has good form on his shots. If he can produce on offense, he stands a very good chance to start unless another such as Puff or the frosh really show out to Hubert and staff.
I am very interested in seeing how HUBERT uses leaky next season, a bit surprised actually that Leaky's name didn't find it's way in to the portal. I can easy see him losing not only his starting role but his minutes should take a big dip, unless he surprises everyone and learns to shoot the ball consistently during this off season.

Last edited:
I am very interested in seeing how Roy uses leaky next season, a bit surprised actually that Leaky's name didn't find it's way in to the portal. I can easy see him losing not only his starting role but his minutes should take a big dip, unless he surprises everyone and learns to shoot the ball consistently during this off season.
I’m with you Dave, I’m sort of waiting for Leaky to put his name in when you consider
the other moves we are making.

P.S. Roy isn’t going to use Leaky at all next season, Hubert will. I still slip there also, I’m sure it will take a few for us to get used to.

I’m with you Dave, I’m sort of waiting for Leaky to put his name in when you consider

P.S. Roy isn’t going to use Leaky at all next season, Hubert will. I still slip there also, I’m sure it will take a few for us to get used to.
You right, thanks for the catch, easy mistake for us to make for a while!~ LOL

Fans may not understand it (me included) but this kid had offers from every high major with room for him. As shocking as this sounds, those staff’s know more than we do and I doubt they are all wrong on him.
Agreed, he’s a 3 year player who will improve a lot in our system, a foundational guy. I like his strength and think he may wind up at the four spot.
Honestly did not really love the guy out of high school for our needs at the time, now is seasoned a couple years at UVa so you know he understands about playing hard. I do think he is the type of player Hubert likes, a guy that will be around for all his eligibility (this past season would have been his soph season so it being a freeby due to covid, I think he has 3 more seasons he can play). I would consider him now a foundational type of player, one of those guys that you get for all of their eligibility that gives you a ton of experience down the road, guys that get better each season they play. 6'8" and nearly 220lbs, can play inside if needed or step out, and in state kid as well.
Yep, no brainer Dave. We know Bennet teaches discipline and defense. He can shoot as well?

Sounds like a win-win in a year where we’ll probably have multiple schollies available unless we kill the transfer portal.
Ummm,... you in denial Dave?
That made me laugh. Thank you.

McKoy is a great 3/4 type player! He’s strong enough to play down low and can guard on the wing..he can shoot the 3 some, put the ball on the floor and is athletic enough to do other things around the basket! Gonna be a great player for us! He avg almost 4 pts and 4 rebounds again playing 11 min behind some very good players...let him play 20 to 25 minutes in our system and he could be a 12 and 8 type player! As long as he plays hard and smart he will be good! Brooks at the 4 played neither hard or smart a lot of times last year and we need that this year...especially from that 3/4 stretch position
4pts and 4 rebounds? i hear there are over 1500 transfers in the portal...couldn’t we have waited for someone better? no offense, i dont know the kid, so the staff must be very high on him.

I like the idea of using Tony Bennett to train up our recruits for us.

I wonder how Bennett feels about that.

I also wonder why he decided to leave UVa. Unless maybe Hauser is sticking around for another year. In which case he'd probably be stuck in place for another year, so moving on could make sense.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Assuming Hubert doesn't make big changes from Roy's system, how long will it take Justin to adjust? It's unusual for guys at his rating level to catch on in their first year - whether as freshmen or as transfers - but it does sometimes happen.

If he catches on quickly, and Hubert ends up with a normal front court (fingers crossed for Bacot and Kessler), Justin could push Leaky for a starting position. One of them would presumably start at SF and both could back up at PF.

Without at least 2 good bigs, either Leaky or Justin will be needed to start at PF. Leaky is more experienced and taller, but Justin is more muscled.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS

Just a side note regarding Leaky. It has been communicated to him that his productive consistency HAS to improve. If not, he will spend a lot more time sitting with Hubert and his staff and a LOT less on the court. He has to improve on both sides of the ball.
Today's announcement ( i.e. ) McCoy should be seen as certain confirmation of the direction that Hubert is going. Starting positions will be earned not given due to favoritisms. That's refreshing in that it reminds me of who Hubert played for.

Just a side note regarding Leaky. It has been communicated to him that his productive consistency HAS to improve. If not, he will spend a lot more time sitting with Hubert and his staff and a LOT less on the court. He has to improve on both sides of the ball.
Today's announcement ( i.e. ) McCoy should be seen as certain confirmation of the direction that Hubert is going. Starting positions will be earned not given due to favoritisms. That's refreshing in that it reminds me of who Hubert played for.
I sure hope you’re right. The extended playing time just because you’re an older player was just difficult to watch.

Fans may not understand it (me included) but this kid had offers from every high major with room for him. As shocking as this sounds, those staff’s know more than we do and I doubt they are all wrong on him.
He was expected to start at power forward for UVA next year. That should tell you something. I don't expect him to make an All-ACC team right now but we just got an experienced contributor for free.

4pts and 4 rebounds? i hear there are over 1500 transfers in the portal...couldn’t we have waited for someone better? no offense, i dont know the kid, so the staff must be very high on him.
He's a defensive big that can rebound and shoot. It's a pretty valuable skillset. He didn't get many minutes because they had Hauser/Huff, and he's not a huge scorer, but even stretching the floor as a big adds a lot of value.

I like the idea of using Tony Bennett to train up our recruits for us.

I wonder how Bennett feels about that.

I also wonder why he decided to leave UVa. Unless maybe Hauser is sticking around for another year. In which case he'd probably be stuck in place for another year, so moving on could make sense.
Slow paced offense, mover-blocker sets for bigs (aka set screens), and who knows what else goes on behind the scenes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT