ADVERTISEMENT

Kickers

Yes, Freeman Jones who red shirted this year. He was one of the best kickers coming out of high school and should be a big improvement to what we saw this year.

Whatever happened to that all American UNC signed a couple of years back. Snyder, Miller or something like that. We lose our punter, which is bad. Kick off guy is great, but we need a FG kicker some kind of bad.

I agree. Freeman has been said to be the real deal. In Rivals he was a 3* which I have heard relates to a 5* w kicking?? Not sure. Also Corbin Daly is a helluva punter they say that was going to Texas before decommitting and signing with the Heels as a preferred walk on.

This post was edited on 1/8 6:05 PM by berry30

What did happen to Miller Snyder?? I saw a tape of Freeman Jones booming 50 yard fg's although it wasn't game situations.

i heard steve logan say that kickers were a crapshoot. college game is a full second faster than high school and some kickers never adjust.
given our obvious need i have to believe that freeman may not have been ready as a freshman.

Originally posted by BalboaUNC:

I believe Miller took a medical hardship if I remember correctly.
Think you're correct on that.

The Freeman Jones thing confuses me. Why redshirt him when we struggled so much in the kicking game? Our season long FG was 30 friggin yards. We were in five close games where a field goal conversion could've made a significant difference strategically. What's surprising is that we somehow managed to win four of the five 1-possession games:

San Diego State 31-27 (W) --- missed 41 yard attempt
Notre Dame 43-50 (L) --- missed 32 yard attempt
Georgia Tech 48-43 (W) --- no FG attempts
Virginia 28-27 (W) --- missed 39 yards attempt, missed 43 yard attempt
Pittsburgh 40-35 (W) --- no FG attempts

That's to say nothing of all the times we went for it on 4th down because we couldn't trust the kicking game. The 4th down TD pass to Mack Hollins in the GT game was huge...we probably would have lost the game if Hollins hadn't caught that.

Anyway, in a year where we needed to outscore the other team it was frustrating for me personally to not have a reliable kicker when we got in field goal range. Based on the above, you could say it all worked out reasonably well, but that's stressful living LOL.

Maybe Freeman walked on the first year like Daly did? If that's the case he couldn't play this year or he would have cost us a scholarship spot. I know Daly had to red shirt his first year since he took an official visit or he would have been counted towards our scholarship numbers this year. Daly will go on scholarship the next 4 years and maybe that is what Freeman is doing too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT