ADVERTISEMENT

Late stuff (Pitt game)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and this one was about making corrections and moving forward to a brutal home-stretch.

- I'm gonna start with defense, since that's been the topic of interest. To evaluate our adjustments for this game, I tracked Pitt's 3-balls (before those in garbage-time) vs how we defended, as follows:
make - trap
make - quick-trigger off loose ball
miss - deep
make - deep
make - over-help (Brooks)
make - over-help (Pinson)_
miss - deep guarded
miss - deep guarded
make - deep guarded
miss - over-help (Platek)
miss - trap
make - deep desperation
make - trap
miss - kick-out
*1st half - 8/14 (2/3 over-help, 2/3 trap, 1/1 quick-trigger, 3/6 deep, 0/1 kick-out)
miss - deep guarded
miss - kick-out
miss - misplayed ball-screen (Johnson)
miss - deep
miss - over-help (Robinson)
miss - guarded
make - guarded
miss - guarded
miss - deep guarded
make - kick-out guarded
miss - kick-out guarded
*2nd half (pre-garbage-time) - 2/11 (0/1 over-help, 0/1 screen, 1/3 kick-outs, 1/3 guarded, 0/3 deep)
Bottom line is after a sketchy start in guarding, we definitely cleaned up our 3-pt defense. There were only 4 attempts from over-help and 1 from a misplayed ball-screen. Their 1st-half success could be attributed to a combination of giving them opportunities and just hot shooting. The better news is our 3-ball defense was very solid in the second half. All in all, it was way better than recent games. 10/30 (and even 10/25 before mass subs) is a decent number overall. As for 2-pt defense, we continue to be strong holding them to 13/30.

other stuff
- Speaking of defense, the configuration with Theo running PG did NOT go well at all. After holding them to 10 total points for the first 10:25 of the second half, as soon as JB went out of the game Pitt reeled off 15 points in the next 4:15. They went thru us like sh** thru a goose, attacking almost exclusively from the point. Let's not do that anymore.

- Also, Roy was determined to get the freshman Bigs some time together, and we had a hard time guarding the mismatches, which is understandable. Most importantly though, Luke has GOT to work on high ball-screens. Scouts have found his weakness and we're gonna see more of them.

- Speaking of Luke though, he was visibly angry with himself this week over his Clemson no-show, and he came out smokin' on offense (27 pts and scored from everywhere) for this one. He was also embarrassed about his FT shooting woes, and his focus was apparent, going 5/5 and leaving no doubt on any attempt. #goodsign

- Theo was clearly not 100%. The "cupping" marks on his shoulders were still visible and pain was obviously affecting his finishes. Still, he fought thru, giving a yeoman's effort on the glass (13) and firing some nifty passes for 8 Assists. And I dunno if they counted this one as a dime, but his rebound tip-pass to Luke for a put-back was subtle beauty.

- Good to see Brooks finish some plays, but damn son --- catch the ball cleanly! And Manley's offensive potential showed, as well as his nice FT stroke finally cashing in again, going 4/4.

- Cam was clearly jacked up about facing his former team --- maybe too much so, as he black-holed a few times early. Still, his aggression and energy is positive and he got 14 pts despite being 1/7 from 3, plus he did start moving the ball, contributing 4 Assists.

- Offensive movement in general has been a concern recently, but we definitely moved the ball, finishing with 29 Assists on 36 made FGs! Given that we had no less than 12 Blown Assists in the first half alone, that is even more impressive. We cut that bad number down to 8 in the second half, and the output reflected that, scoring 51 pts before calling off the dogs late.

- It was good to see Kenny firing again. 15 pts is more like what we need from him, and kudos to Roy for calling the first play of the second half for him to get his 3-ball rolling (3/5).

- We hadn't gotten to use it much recently, but when we're moving, our Zone-O is really good. We consistently get open looks, just hafta convert.

- Angry Dog: It astounds me there are some who don't get just how good JB is on both ends of the floor, and he was again. 12 pts, 6 boards and 6 Assists (w/ 6 Blown) with 2 Steals (not 1) 0 TOs, despite inexplicably not getting to the FT line o_O, but it's also fun to watch when the nastiness gets triggered. In the first half after a bogus foul call at mid-court (that also had Roy fuming), Joel absolutely smothered a ball triggering the sequence that led to Garrison's highlight hustle play on the other end. And following Theo's highlight cuff-dunk in the second half, Dog showed he'd had about enough of the elbows and push-offs, skying for a rebound with one of the culprits (trying) to hang on his arm, giving #0 a GTF-off glare as he cleared.

- Finally, dang it was good to hear Wes Durham's Woody-esque voice and inflections as I was charting the replay. Brings back a lotta good memories.

Anyway, the opponent notwithstanding, it was good to be able to make some corrections before the dookies come in Thursday. Need to attack, attack, attack and make em have to defend...

Last edited:
Luke is having a bizarre year. He seems to avg a double double against bad teams while you dont even notice him against the good ones. I’d be curious to see his stats playing against top 30 rpi vs non.

Luke is having a bizarre year. He seems to avg a double double against bad teams while you dont even notice him against the good ones. I’d be curious to see his stats playing against top 30 rpi vs non.

Eta, dook is a must win. I know ppl hate that phrase esp this early. I just have a feeling the team is at a crossroads and the next game sets the course.

...and this one was about making corrections and moving forward to a brutal home-stretch.

- I'm gonna start with defense, since that's been the topic of interest. To evaluate our adjustments for this game, I tracked Pitt's 3-balls (before those in garbage-time) vs how we defended, as follows:
make - trap
miss - deep
make - deep
miss - deep guarded
miss - deep guarded
make - deep guarded
miss - trap
make - deep desperation
make - trap
miss - kick-out
*1st half - 8/14 (2/3 over-help, 2/3 trap, 1/1 quick-trigger, 3/6 deep, 0/1 kick-out)
miss - deep guarded
miss - kick-out
miss - deep
miss - guarded
make - guarded
miss - guarded
miss - deep guarded
make - kick-out guarded
miss - kick-out guarded
*2nd half (pre-garbage-time) - 2/11 (0/1 over-help, 0/1 screen, 1/3 kick-outs, 1/3 guarded, 0/3 deep)
Bottom line is after a sketchy start in guarding, we definitely cleaned up our 3-pt defense. There were only 4 attempts from over-help and 1 from a misplayed ball-screen. Their 1st-half success could be attributed to a combination of giving them opportunities and just hot shooting. The better news is our 3-ball defense was very solid in the second half. All in all, it was way better than recent games. 10/30 (and even 10/25 before mass subs) is a decent number overall. As for 2-pt defense, we continue to be strong holding them to 13/30.

other stuff
- Speaking of defense, the configuration with Theo running PG did NOT go well at all. After holding them to 10 total points for the first 10:25 of the second half, as soon as JB went out of the game Pitt reeled off 15 points in the next 4:15. They went thru us like sh** thru a goose, attacking almost exclusively from the point. Let's not do that anymore.

- Also, Roy was determined to get the freshman Bigs some time together, and we had a hard time guarding the mismatches, which is understandable. Most importantly though, Luke has GOT to work on high ball-screens. Scouts have found his weakness and we're gonna see more of them.

- Speaking of Luke though, he was visibly angry with himself this week over his Clemson no-show, and he came out smokin' on offense (27 pts and scored from everywhere) for this one. He was also embarrassed about his FT shooting woes, and his focus was apparent, going 5/5 and leaving no doubt on any attempt. #goodsign

- Theo was clearly not 100%. The "cupping" marks on his shoulders were still visible and pain was obviously affecting his finishes. Still, he fought thru, giving a yeoman's effort on the glass (13) and firing some nifty passes for 8 Assists. And I dunno if they counted this one as a dime, but his rebound tip-pass to Luke for a put-back was subtle beauty.

- Good to see Brooks finish some plays, but damn son --- catch the ball cleanly! And Manley's offensive potential showed, as well as his nice FT stroke finally cashing in again, going 4/4.

- Cam was clearly jacked up about facing his former team --- maybe too much so, as he black-holed a few times early. Still, his aggression and energy is positive and he got 14 pts despite being 1/7 from 3, plus he did start moving the ball, contributing 4 Assists.

- Offensive movement in general has been a concern recently, but we definitely moved the ball, finishing with 29 Assists on 36 made FGs! Given that we had no less than 12 Blown Assists in the first half alone, that is even more impressive. We cut that bad number down to 8 in the second half, and the output reflected that, scoring 51 pts before calling off the dogs late.

- It was good to see Kenny firing again. 15 pts is more like what we need from him, and kudos to Roy for calling the first play of the second half for him to get his 3-ball rolling (3/5).

- We hadn't gotten to use it much recently, but when we're moving, our Zone-O is really good. We consistently get open looks, just hafta convert.

- Angry Dog: It astounds me there are some who don't get just how good JB is on both ends of the floor, and he was again. 12 pts, 6 boards and 6 Assists (w/ 6 Blown) with 2 Steals (not 1) 0 TOs, despite inexplicably not getting to the FT line o_O, but it's also fun to watch when the nastiness gets triggered. In the first half after a bogus foul call at mid-court (that also had Roy fuming), Joel absolutely smothered a ball triggering the sequence that led to Garrison's highlight hustle play on the other end. And following Theo's highlight cuff-dunk in the second half, Dog showed he'd had about enough of the elbows and push-offs, skying for a rebound with one of the culprits (trying) to hang on his arm, giving #0 a GTF-off glare as he cleared.

- Finally, dang it was good to hear Wes Durham's Woody-esque voice and inflections as I was charting the replay. Brings back a lotta good memories.

Anyway, the opponent notwithstanding, it was good to be able to make some corrections before the dookies come in Thursday. Need to attack, attack, attack and make em have to defend...
When evaluating the threes, what do you mean when you say deep? Are you just saying they shot it from a few feet behind the line?

JB had a good game last night . . anyone know where I can find his current assist-to-turnover ratio . . ?

TIA

Reactions: gteeitup
If you're just going to snipe... oh wait, lemme go ahead and take the "if" out of it. SMDH.

LOL

Snipe . . ? I posted that Berry had a good game last night. Dayum, you are way too sensitive, son.

I've looked for this stat and I can't find it . . I'm not asking you to post the ratio, only where I can find it as I requested.

If, you know where I can find it . . . just provide a link.

SMDH

When evaluating the threes, what do you mean when you say deep? Are you just saying they shot it from a few feet behind the line?
Yes. Substantially behind the arc. The kind you're not going to be able to consistently guard closely, although we did challenge some of those last night.

Reactions: gauchoheel
LOL

Snipe . . ? I posted that Berry had a good game last night. Dayum, you are way too sensitive, son.

I've looked for this stat and I can't find it . . I'm not asking you to post the ratio, only where I can find it as I requested.

SMDH
Being that you're the one who likes to post obvious links to boxscores, I'm sure you can find that. SMDH.

Being that you're the one who likes to post obvious links to boxscores, I'm sure you can find that. SMDH.

You don't have a problem with me posting the box scores do you . . ?

Good game guys. I hope Kenny can keep hitting from outside. We are a totally different team when he is hitting and playing aggressively. Did ya’ll notice Huffman’s face when Theo slammed back that offensive rebound? It was priceless. Huffman also however looked lost when Cam was shooting a free throw and he had his hands on his head. Cam went to give him a high five but Huffman was in a galaxy far far away. Lol. I love the kid but my man needs to focus. Even garbage time Shea, Miller and others were embarrassing to say the very least. I question Cams shot selections at times. He seems to be jacking up shots instead of getting his attempts in the flow of the game. 29 assists is incredible. Great job guys. We are such a young team sprinkled with some very seasoned veterans but like a lot of young teams we do not know who is going to show up. I also have to say some Tar Heel fans have been giving these kids a bad wrap. We are so spoiled but as long as we are winning and have been to back to back Natty Games people love them. When we hit a bump in the road people freak out. There is 99 % of schools that would change with us. Once a Tar Heel, Always a Tar Heel. Family that is what it is all about in our Chapel Hill. Great game guys!

WRT to Joel getting no FTs despite getting HAMMERED on at least one of his drives it occurred to me - Not only does Berry get NO respect from the refs, he gets ACTIVE DISRESPECT from them. It is near criminal they way they look the other way on 90+% of the contact he takes. Heck, he got a forearm shiver shove off at half court from a Pitt ballhandler and STUPID zebra whistled Joel for the foul. I can only posit that the refs dislike Joel for some reason, and added to their ongoing disrespect of UNC due to 7 years a bad (mostly false) press JB gets NO LOVE from the striped donkeys.

WRT to Joel getting no FTs despite getting HAMMERED on at least one of his drives it occurred to me - Not only does Berry get NO respect from the refs, he gets ACTIVE DISRESPECT from them. It is near criminal they way they look the other way on 90+% of the contact he takes. Heck, he got a forearm shiver shove off at half court from a Pitt ballhandler and STUPID zebra whistled Joel for the foul. I can only posit that the refs dislike Joel for some reason, and added to their ongoing disrespect of UNC due to 7 years a bad (mostly false) press JB gets NO LOVE from the striped donkeys.
You are so right. Joel isn’t just getting fouled but he is getting assaulted. Do these damn refs think Joel is throwing himself to the ground or falling? Then as you stated they call ticky tac fouls 30 feet from the basket while Joel is getting abused. So the other team keeps hammering away at him because as we all know it’s not a foul until they blow the whistle. I am afraid he is going to get hurt or better yet he is going to hurt someone else. He has shown tremendous poise for what he is enduring.

You gotta give credit to Theo on being Theo yesterday and contributing in a big way, even as he wasn't 100%. He was able to affect the game on the glass by grabbing 13 big ones (you could see how he has made a big effort to contribute on the boards in the last few games) and having 8 assists too, we are now 11-1 when Theo has 5 or more assists. How crazy is that he almost had and very well could've had a double/double on rebounds and assists, only Theo!

I still am going to stick by my point that Theo has the ability to be the X-factor of this team of this team, he only scored 2 points yesterday, but still found a way to have a big impact on the game is just a natural ability that a player has and one that is so valuable to our team.

We will need a big effort from him on Thursday on both ends of the floor, as his versatility will really be key for us. Defensively, battling on the glass, switching off of different men and really stepping up his on ball defense. Offensively, really working to get into the lane and attacking the rim, get to the line young fella. Also, breaking down the D and constantly keeping the ball moving. Our ball movement was very good yesterday and in turn we got a lot more high percentage shots, we need that again Thursday. With his experience and personality he has to make it his job to get our guys to play with great energy and intensity as we take down dookie.

Last edited:
You are so right. Joel isn’t just getting fouled but he is getting assaulted. Do these damn refs think Joel is throwing himself to the ground or falling? Then as you stated they call ticky tac fouls 30 feet from the basket while Joel is getting abused. So the other team keeps hammering away at him because as we all know it’s not a foul until they blow the whistle. I am afraid he is going to get hurt or better yet he is going to hurt someone else. He has shown tremendous poise for what he is enduring.
I realize some of it is because he doesn't head-whip and all that dookie crap but you really have to wonder sometimes. I watch Guards from elsewhere get nudged on drives and live at the line.

I realize some of it is because he doesn't head-whip and all that dookie crap but you really have to wonder sometimes. I watch Guards from elsewhere get nudged on drives and live at the line.
It is mind boggling that he gets no respect from the refs. I am surprised Roy has not gone after them for some of the hits Joel has endured. I know he is respectful to officials other than the devil down the road. But it would be nice to see him get on a refs back for Joel’s well being

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
It is mind boggling that he gets no respect from the refs. I am surprised Roy has not gone after them for some of the hits Joel has endured. I know he is respectful to officials other than the devil down the road. But it would be nice to see him get on a refs back for Joel’s well being
Roy has actually done that a few times recently, and he sure as heck didn't like that elbow JB took right in front of the bench and then got called for the foul. I wish he'd go further and maybe send some film to the league office. Dean had no qualms about doing that and every once in a while it actually did some good. This isn't isolated stuff we're talking about. Joel is getting pounded on with regularity and him not getting to the line is affecting game outcomes, especially when we're talking about a 90% FT shooter.

Roy has actually done that a few times recently, and he sure as heck didn't like that elbow JB took right in front of the bench and then got called for the foul. I wish he'd go further and maybe send some film to the league office. Dean had no qualms about doing that and every once in a while it actually did some good. This isn't isolated stuff we're talking about. Joel is getting pounded on with regularity and him not getting to the line is affecting game outcomes, especially when we're talking about a 90% FT shooter.
I just have nightmares of our guys getting taken out. Kenny Smith (that cost us a great chance at a title) we never were the same when he came back. Kendall (Butter) Marshall one of my All Time favorite Heels ever, he gets taken out by Creighton and I know we would have beaten kensucky if we played them again for the title. Tyler Zeller as well. I know the 77 team was banged up badly and cost us against Marquette. I know I am not telling anyone anything new but I would hate to see that happen to Joel when all this time he is getting pounded and the refs aren’t protecting his well being. I can’t imagine the way Joel has to be feeling. The kid is a pure stud.

make - trap
miss - deep
make - deep
miss - deep guarded
miss - deep guarded
make - deep guarded
miss - trap
make - deep desperation
make - trap
miss - kick-out
miss - deep guarded
miss - kick-out
miss - deep
miss - guarded
make - guarded
miss - guarded
miss - deep guarded
make - kick-out guarded
miss - kick-out guarded

other stuff

Addendum I forgot to include in the OP:
- We had 11 true Fast Break pts, but we did notch 28 off the Secondary, including 18 in the second half when things were clicking better. That last number is very important to our prospects moving forward. I'll take 18 Secondary Break points in any half.

Personally I don't like individual assist stats... especially with a team like UNC this year.
This group is at it's best when everyone is passing more.
ie:
As a team the Heels had 29 assists to 11 turnovers vs Pitt.
Against Clemson they were 14/11, State 14/11 and VT 17/13

Reactions: j-doolsheels

make - trap
miss - deep
make - deep
miss - deep guarded
miss - deep guarded
make - deep guarded
miss - trap
make - deep desperation
make - trap
miss - kick-out
miss - deep guarded
miss - kick-out
miss - deep
miss - guarded
make - guarded
miss - guarded
miss - deep guarded
make - kick-out guarded
miss - kick-out guarded

other stuff

I like the break-down of the 3 attempts but I was left with an impression there was more over help than you've accounted for.

Theo got caught with his pants down a few times in the first half... bailed out by missed shots, but still far from his man.

The worst is when the weak-side defending wing drifts down to the key leaving their man alone at the arc. both Theo and Kenny were guilty of this multiple times but by that time Pitt were missing. I don't know if you'd exactly call it over helping, but they're certainly too far away from their defensive assignment - almost in "no-mans land"

I like the break-down of the 3 attempts but I was left with an impression there was more over help than you've accounted for.

Theo got caught with his pants down a few times in the first half... bailed out by missed shots, but still far from his man.

The worst is when the weak-side defending wing drifts down to the key leaving their man alone at the arc. both Theo and Kenny were guilty of this multiple times but by that time Pitt were missing. I don't know if you'd exactly call it over helping, but they're certainly too far away from their defensive assignment - almost in "no-mans land"
You hafta be careful with that. As fans we (unrealistically) expect every 3 attempt to be guarded and if it's even somewhat open then it must be some sort of breakdown. Often that's just not the case. As long as our guys can close out and challenge they are playing the 22 scheme correctly. With one exception our only over-helps were in the first half.

The worst issues vs Clemson came when guys 2 passes away were getting caught cheating to the ball and getting bunched in the paint and burned by skip passes. We weren't getting that this time. Sometimes it's a fine line on getting caught in a no-man's land scenario but if a backside defender is too close to a guy outside the arc then he's rendered himself useless in a deny/help scheme. Sure, we could play a conservative close-gap scheme like UVA but I can tell ya that ain't gonna happen as long as Roy Williams is coach. Our game is built on forcing tempo --- on BOTH ends --- an there's an inherent risk-reward there. Fact is we defended the 3 pretty danged well in the second half Saturday.

LOL

SMDH

Current A:TO is 1.71:1

Luke has GOT to work on high ball-screens. Scouts have found his weakness and we're gonna see more of them.
As usual, many thanks for your analysis. For those of us who are not as savvy about the terminology, could you explain this one in more detail?

What exactly is going on in this scenario and what should Luke be doing better?

@BillyL per Fox Sports his assist to turnover is at 1.71 for the season.
At a glance, Seventh, Theo and Andrew look like they have the best A:TOs on this team.

Which isn't worth much since 7th isn't playing and Andrew isn't a starter.

Judging by the numbers and Gary's analyses we are a pretty good assist team - good assist numbers and high percentage of scores coming off assists. But we don't take good care of the ball - lots of TOs, mediocre A:TO, and too many blown assists.

I think Gary's comments about blown assists are interesting. What can we do to lower that number? Are there 1 or 2 things in particular?

Our bigs rarely catch the ball clean on dribble drive passes. Think about how many times a bounce bass or chest pass is bobbled, or lost completely this year. It’s been bad and the freshman bigs are the worst culprits but Luke isn’t much better at times.

Our bigs rarely catch the ball clean on dribble drive passes. Think about how many times a bounce bass or chest pass is bobbled, or lost completely this year. It’s been bad and the freshman bigs are the worst culprits but Luke isn’t much better at times.
I remember that it took Zeller until his senior year to get good at that. And then he was great at it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT