ADVERTISEMENT

less than a week to go and let the Platek starting debate begin

Like your comparisons.

Berry vs Love- Berry was a really good leader, but Love is the better athlete. A Senior Berry is better IMHO.

Theo vs Leaky- Theo got bashed allot until his Junior year. If Leaky stays healthy I call this even. Theo a better passer, but I believe in Leaky (A healthy Leaky).

Meeks, Hicks vs Bacot, Brooks, Sharpe and Kessler- I am going with the new guys with this one, to much talent to deny.

Justin Jackson- There is nobody we have that can compare right now, but if Love can be special with his scoring, and Leaky can defend at high level we can make up for that.

** The Title team had experience leading us and Berry grew, Love will not be here long enough to see this, but I am confident he will be a better freshmen player than Berry. Pinson got bashed for two years if anyone wants to look back, and then became appreciated, I see the same with Leaky. Meeks and Brooks compare as far as stats. Meeks was just a true college Center.

** This years team will have to find that shooter. I hope RJ can help, like the reports on Walton. It would be nice if Platek could make this happen, but he is who he is!

Based on just talent alone the current team has the advantage but the huge advantage the former team had was that the season before they played in the Natty game, they were made of of a core (other than Tony) of Jr and Sr guys. It is one thing to think a group that relies a lot of the freshmen can do great things this season but I can't really compare them to a team that actually did achieve greatness.

Reactions: superstar57
And we are right to do so. Good thing basketball can't really be reduced to metrics! The human factor plays such a large role and I'm glad this is so! Platek will be a strong contributor all year, and RJ will at least equal him in minutes! Once Ant is healthy, both might see their minutes reduced.

The guy with that worst +/- in UNC basketball history last year and we are again talking about him starting....

If Harris was not injured there would not be any discussion about Platek being a starter. I don't think anyone on this board is advocating that Platek should be a starter throughout the season. It could be 1 or two games, at most.

If he's starting, and he starts bricking threes and getting cooked on defense, Roy can turn to RJ, Kerwin, and probably even Puff off the bench. It's not like last year where injuries shorten us to a 6-7 man rotation. Based on everything Roy has said this offseason, seniority ain't gaining you anything this year.

I'm guessing pretty much every veteran other than Brooks will have a short leash. I mean, we've seen him do hockey subs when we've had great teams.

And the by the way, the way games are getting cancelled, Harris may be heathy by the time UNC plays a game. Duke's first game just got cancelled. Over/Under whether we hear that one of the College of Charleston guys test positive for the first game.

To be honest with ya, I'm more concerned about getting a game in than who will be starting a game with UNC being a 20+ point favorite.

Last edited:
If Harris was not injured there would not be any discussion about Platek being a starter. I don't think anyone on this board is advocating that Platek should be a starter throughout the season. It could be 1 or two games, at most.
Agreed. Predicting he starts initially is not advocating that he start.
If he's starting, and he starts bricking threes and getting cooked on defense, Roy can turn to RJ, Kerwin, and probably even Puff off the bench. It's not like last year where injuries shorten us to a 6-7 man rotation. Based on everything Roy has said this offseason, seniority ain't gaining you anything this year.

I'm guessing pretty much every veteran other than Brooks will have a short leash. I mean, we've seen him do hockey subs when we've had great teams.
I agree again. Roy has options this year that he could only dream of last year.
And the by the way, the way games are getting cancelled, Harris may be heathy by the time UNC plays a game. Duke's first game just got cancelled. Over/Under whether we hear that one of the College of Charleston guys test positive for the first game.

To be honest with ya, I'm more concerned about getting a game in than who will be starting a game with UNC being a 20+ point favorite.
Fingers crossed.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and Steat
I'm probably one of AP's most ardent supporters and I haven't advocated for him to start yet. I have said multiple times that I think he will start and I expect him to start many games this season. BUT: All of my predictions depend on several things. 1. AP fixes his mental yips and starts hitting some shots. 2. AP does not regress on D. 3. RJ is needed more at PG and his personality allows him to be effective off the bench. 4. Ant's health. 5. RJ could prove too good to remain the 6th starter. 6. AP's leadership could be an X-factor.

Also, this is a good problem to have and it really doesn't matter who starts since minutes and end game are far more important!~

There could be a scenario where AP becomes the leader on the floor with a second team filled with freshman. He does understand the offense and defensive schemes and if they roll out RJ, sharpe, kessler brooks...AP could be a quality guy to have out there to ensure proper spacing and getting the youngin's in the right spot. Now that would be a limited run for sure. But it could happen.

6. AP's leadership could be an X-factor.

Also, this is a good problem to have and it really doesn't matter who starts since minutes and end game are far more important!~
Couldn’t agree more. Platek will lead by example. He will help the young players to learn what Roy expects of them and help them to develop good work habits. That is where he will contribute the most.

And yes, it is always good to have options.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Whether we like, or don't like AP starting, or even getting as much as 10 minutes per game, having experienced players who have been in the Carolina system to help bring along the younger players ( of which we have 6 mind you ), is invaluable. I agree that AP was lacking in several areas as a player for us last year. But, everyone should also understand that last years team was plagued with injuries and an overall lack of talent. Overall the confidence of that team was at as low a point as I can recall, though, it was not as talent shy as Doherty's 2002 team.

Today, 11/24/2020, I can guarantee everyone that Roy knows, and has known for some time, who is going to start tomorrow night, even as he has said he doesn't right up until yesterday. If he starts AP, it will be due to the fact that he is not comfortable with the decision making and grasp of the offense and defense by the younger ones, or, he wants to split time for Caleb & RJ until Harris returns. It is not out of the norm for lesser talented but more experienced players to start ahead of their more talented counterparts. For stability and smoother flow of play, do not be surprised if AP starts for a few games while the other youngsters watch and see how Roy wants them to play.

As far as I am concerned, whether AP starts or doesn't, Carolina Basketball is in the air!

Last edited:
Well said @Tarheel75. It’s going to drive the usual characters crazy for a while when Roy is tinkering with his starting lineup. It happens every year. Besides, it isn’t who starts as much as who’s in at crunch time. Looking forward to the game tonight.

I'm pulling out a Miller Lite if Platek hits his first outside shot, whether it as a starter or off the bench.

Davis earned the start and looked good! AP got plenty of run and was an important contributor all game. I saw him hesitate to take open looks and look uncomfortable shooting at times. This indicates he hasn't worked out his mental yips just yet. Tar Heels are on the right track! Hope the young man gets out of his head soon!

I'm pulling out a Miller Lite if Platek hits his first outside shot, whether it as a starter or off the bench.
scream-sxc924206_32902585.jpg

Reactions: Steat and TPFKAPFS
ADVERTISEMENT