ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s give Platek some credit

King Coach

Sophomore
Silver Member
Jan 23, 2021
Give the man some credit he’s got a great attitude and is a great teammate. Even as his playing time has gone down with the emergence of Ant and Harris, his attitude has been terrific. I noticed him last night cheering on teammates from the bench. No matter how you feel about his basketball skills, he is a plus in the locker room.

You guys said it, he's got a ton of heart and hustle...coach on the floor...great locker room kid...huge IQ and great with fundamentals...he's super scrappy.

You guys may not realize it but he's also sneaky athletic.

Give the man some credit he’s got a great attitude and is a great teammate. Even as his playing time has gone down with the emergence of Ant and Harris, his attitude has been terrific. I noticed him last night cheering on teammates from the bench. No matter how you feel about his basketball skills, he is a plus in the locker room.

I have zero against AP, but I also never expected much from him. Because of talent leaving early Platek has become a convenient escape goat for our struggles. Jalek Felton was suppose to be the man in AP's class,

I have zero against AP, but I also never expected much from him. Because of talent leaving early Platek has become a convenient escape goat for our struggles. Jalek Felton was suppose to be the man in AP's class,

He's not a scapegoat. Merely a consequence of some poor recruiting years. Roy had to take what he could get.

You guys said it, he's got a ton of heart and hustle...coach on the floor...great locker room kid...huge IQ and great with fundamentals...he's super scrappy.

You guys may not realize it but he's also sneaky athletic.
Just can't help yourself, can you? Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

He's not a scapegoat. Merely a consequence of some poor recruiting years. Roy had to take what he could get.

Poor recruiting, but every recruiting class since AP has been there has produced a first round pick.

I called him an escape goat because 5 star Felton was always thought of as a multiyear guy in college and he would be who we leaned on. Coby was a guy who I atleast thought would stay leaves after one year, and Anthony last year. Although these where PG they also where suppose to score. I called him the escape goat because we need Platek to be something he was never suppose to be in a guy who gets buckets. I enjoy his hustle, and I am not like in previous years when I see him in the game I would get mad, so that is saying something.

Reactions: tmatheny
Poor recruiting, but every recruiting class since AP has been there has produced a first round pick.

I called him an escape goat because 5 star Felton was always thought of as a multiyear guy in college and he would be who we leaned on. Coby was a guy who I atleast thought would stay leaves after one year, and Anthony last year. Although these where PG they also where suppose to score. I called him the escape goat because we need Platek to be something he was never suppose to be in a guy who gets buckets. I enjoy his hustle, and I am not like in previous years when I see him in the game I would get mad, so that is saying something.

There was a 2-3 year dry spell for sure.

By the way I'm not hating on AP. He tries his best and that's all we can ask for. The issue with me has always been people overhyping him, and making fun of said people is quite entertaining.

The one negative I have with AP is his streaky shooting. He was a very good shooter in HS and by all reports in practice.

The positives are much more than the sarcastic BS above:
  • He's been asked to fill a role that not even he would have expected.... not just this year but his whole college career (largely due to the Felton mess). At times he's been over his head but we can't blame him for that, he's still worked his arse off on every play.
  • He impacts the floor in many subtle ways, as much as his athleticism allows.
  • He gets critical and timely rebounds, critical and timely assists, steals and buckets (game winner vs Miami)
  • The term "coach on the floor" is cliche, so lets not say he coaches, but he did provide a steady, senior influence early this season when both Love and Davis were running around like headless chickens and Garrison was busy pouting and throwing up bricks.
  • He seems happy enough to play 1 minute or 31 minutes and as the OP said, he cheers wildly from the bench.
So yeah, I too wish he would hit his spot-up 3's at a higher percentage, but he's on the team, living a dream we'd all give our left nut for (sorry to the women on the board) and he's representing with all he has. It's a lot more than some who were recruited in the same class have done.

Reactions: Green C14 and shun1
Had he not improved he would have been though of as a complete bust, but since he did improve that's off the table..

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Platek getting 5 to 8 min a game is exactly the role he needs! He comes in hustles, knocks down an open shot etc...there’s a reason Roy is playing him in this role! He’s a great team player, locker room guy, and teammate but to succeed we need Lots of Davis, Love, Walton, Harris, and Black! I’m one that thinks Love and Davis together some is a good thing! They are 2 of our players that can create and get to the basket! They are starting to get it while playing together..eventually in the next couple weeks they could be very good together!

By the way I mentioned at the beginning of the year that even Walton should be getting more minutes than Platek and that he would be a better choice as a starter! Some ppl laughed at it, it’s not so crazy now!

Reactions: Heelicious
He is plenty athletic. He’s always in the right spot. He’s reputed to be a good shooter, but he is not. He does look scared. My wife asked me to turn the channel when he was at the foul line late against Duke last year because he looked so nervous

If you stop and think about it..... you can’t blame the man for jumping on a UNC scholarship offer. He knew he wasn’t the typical UNC talent but he had the guts to accept the challenge and work his way into some playing time. How many can say I hit the winning basket in a Carolina game? He works hard and represents the UNC brand very well so give the man a break....and don’t dislike him because some hype his contributions....that’s on them not Platek.

I'm curious, and I know the surrounding cast was different. But how would you compare him to Wes Miller. Somewhat athletically at a disadvantage but could give you the 3s at some timely points and I remember him hitting a game winner at FSU. I know he's known as a coach now, but they seem somewhat similar

Not similar at all. Wes Miller stretched the defense. He believed that his long 3s were going in and the opposition believed that they were going in

Reactions: Heelicious
I'm curious, and I know the surrounding cast was different. But how would you compare him to Wes Miller. Somewhat athletically at a disadvantage but could give you the 3s at some timely points and I remember him hitting a game winner at FSU. I know he's known as a coach now, but they seem somewhat similar

The Wes Miller comparison is interesting. I tend to think he may be more like Bobby Frasor. But then other times when I see him make a move inside I see a little Eric Montross. When he hits a 3 though, it definitely feels Dante Calabria like. But then he'll make a move and I'll think he sorta reminds me of half of Marcus Paige.

The Wes Miller comparison is interesting. I tend to think he may be more like Bobby Frasor. But then other times when I see him make a move inside I see a little Eric Montross. When he hits a 3 though, it definitely feels Dante Calabria like. But then he'll make a move and I'll think he sorta reminds me of half of Marcus Paige.
Just can't help yourself, can you? Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

AP is the teammate every player/coach wishes he had! The dude does everything asked of him and hustles his arse off. Nitpicking because of his facial expressions is a little silly but par for the course lately! This team would be dead last without his steadying influence on our youngsters this year and he deserves a ton of credit!

Congrats Fam! You made the most of your abilities and are a perfect representative of the Tar Heel Family!

Just a thought from a curious observer. I agree he's a sticking point with this board. I find myself reacting to him much like I used to with Quentin Thomas where I thought no no no when he had the ball until he did something positive with it. I for one am just glad at least once a week I can watch a guy with the Carolina blue play a basketball game. Frustrating sometimes but man, it's nice to have something to look forward to during this dark year plus

AP is the teammate every player/coach wishes he had! The dude does everything asked of him and hustles his arse off. Nitpicking because of his facial expressions is a little silly but par for the course lately! This team would be dead last without his steadying influence on our youngsters this year and he deserves a ton of credit!

Congrats Fam! You made the most of your abilities and are a perfect representative of the Tar Heel Family!
Yep. Unfortunately this (unnecessary) thread has quickly devolved into predictable collective ignorance.

Just a thought from a curious observer. I agree he's a sticking point with this board. I find myself reacting to him much like I used to with Quentin Thomas where I thought no no no when he had the ball until he did something positive with it. I for one am just glad at least once a week I can watch a guy with the Carolina blue play a basketball game. Frustrating sometimes but man, it's nice to have something to look forward to during this dark year plus
I agree.....it’s just something about watching a UNC game. And I especially root for those seniors.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Thanks for doing this. We all should be lucky enough to get our accolades while we are still doing what we love!
I have and will respond to every AP thread because someone has to protect the Family from the infidels who ride the bandwagon yet have absolutely no idea what Family really means!

someone has to protect the Family from the infidels

tenor.gif

It is so refreshing to see Platek getting some credit this season as a senior unlike ALL last season and early this year when many wanted to blame him for ALL of the problems and losses the team went thru completely forgetting about all of the injuries and the severe lack of experienced upper classmen that the team had.

Thanks for doing this. We all should be lucky enough to get our accolades while we are still doing what we love!
I have and will respond to every AP thread because someone has to protect the Family from the infidels who ride the bandwagon yet have absolutely no idea what Family really means!
I remember seeing The Bandwagon Infidels back in the 90's touring with Hootie and the Blowfish. Fun show.

I have and will respond to every AP thread because someone has to protect the Family from the cowards who hide behind a keyboard yet couldn't beat AP in a game played to 5 even if he gave them 4 points.
FIFY my man.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT