ADVERTISEMENT

LIV Golf opinions; comparison to PGA

KeeLo

Freshman
Feb 26, 2002
NW NC
Not a huge golf fan, but enjoy seeing great command of the club and the zone players can get into.

My opinion is LIV golf is much more enjoyable (as a TV viewer). I like how the leaderboard is always in view, the stat breakdowns, and think that the team play is an interesting aspect. Feels more laid back with music playing on the course, players wearing shorts, etc. I think the TV screen's real estate is managed quite well with all of the extra info. PGA's presentation comes across to me as empty, boring, and slow; elite golfers (as you expect), but the presentation to the TV viewer is lacking IMO.

What are your thoughts?

Reactions: gteeitup
like it, but i stopped comparing it to the pga tour when i watched a couple of events…its just an alternative and if the players are allowed to play in majors and the ryder cup, fine by me.

something underrated to me are the event sites for liv…it’s refreshing quite honestly.

Reactions: ohio tarheels
I like anything they can do to relate to me and a few buddies playing a round, except with a much higher skill level. Maybe have a few beer carts making the rounds with comely young ladies occasionally adding to the scenery, har har. And I think I get @gteeitup when he comments about the sites. A change of scenery is welcome and also, TBH I want them playing courses that have not been made immaculate, and all gussied up for our viewing pleasure.

The team play doesn't interest me much except maybe it gives a player an added incentive to play his best.

I was at Greenbrier yesterday and the experience live is amazing. Hospitality was unmatched. Not as crowded as a PGA event and that was awesome. I never felt like people were all up on me. The access to the players was startling. My son and I talked to Bryson, Phil, Cam Smith, Louie, Ian Poulter and several others. We followed Tringale for a couple of holes and had conversation with him while he was playing. The constant music makes it feel more relaxed and doesn't seem to bother the players. I saw several of them vibing out to it. Not as long of a day because of the shotgun start. Loud and wild at times but not like I had been told. I was expecting a Happy Gilmore type atmosphere and it wasn't that. Team aspect is kind of cool. I liked it but there wasn't a whole lot of focus on it. It seemed to be an afterthought. Weird to see the OP likes the TV product. I hate the TV product. But again, being there in person was an incredible experience. To @gteeitup 's point, the Greenbrier is an amazing place so that had something to do with our experience yesterday. Will go again for sure.

Last edited:
What are the crowds like on Sunday? I've only caught glimpses of tournaments on TV and the crowds seemed pretty light. It could have been the first round, but even if it was, it seemed light.

What are the crowds like on Sunday? I've only caught glimpses of tournaments on TV and the crowds seemed pretty light. It could have been the first round, but even if it was, it seemed light.

It was a light crowd, which made it way better for those that were there. Only a few times did we struggle to get in good position around a green or tee box. On several occasions, a tee shot found the rough right near us. And the few of us that just happened to be in that area when the shot went awry stood 6 feet from Phil or Cam Smith or Rahm or Gooch. My son and I chatted it up with Cameron Tringale during his round.

The thing is, it was a super cheap event to attend. I bought tickets on Saturday night for the Sunday round for $44 through the LIV site. Even the upgraded tickets that had hospitality tent privileges were only about $150. Hard to believe more people wouldn’t attend at that price.

I've been a PGA Professional since 2002. have been to dozens of majors, the Ryder and Presidents Cup and many "regular" Tour events (including The Greenbrier Classic when the PGAT was there). i have no problem with the concept of LIV and i think competition (free market) in all industries is important and necessary. i personally do not like the format or atmosphere, it's just not my style. and i depise the fact that you get paid regardless of what you shoot. one of the best things about professional golf, compared to other pro sports, is that it is a meritocracy: you have to earn your living.

you dont have to study the stats too hard to see how LIV has negatively affected the playing ability of many top tier players ... but their bank accounts are certainly doing well.

LIV can financially survive forever due to the Saudi money, but their TV numbers are horrendous.

Reactions: bluetoe
I've been a PGA Professional since 2002. have been to dozens of majors, the Ryder and Presidents Cup and many "regular" Tour events (including The Greenbrier Classic when the PGAT was there). i have no problem with the concept of LIV and i think competition (free market) in all industries is important and necessary. i personally do not like the format or atmosphere, it's just not my style. and i depise the fact that you get paid regardless of what you shoot. one of the best things about professional golf, compared to other pro sports, is that it is a meritocracy: you have to earn your living.

you dont have to study the stats too hard to see how LIV has negatively affected the playing ability of many top tier players ... but their bank accounts are certainly doing well.

LIV can financially survive forever due to the Saudi money, but their TV numbers are horrendous.

Personally, I really enjoyed less fanfare. That was the most enjoyable thing about this past weekend. The only thing that would have made it better would have been if I was the only guy out there and they were performing just for me. Oh, and a cart.

As for their play, that makes no difference to me. So what Rahm was a slightly better golfer when he was on the PGA? He still plays at a level and hits shots at which I marvel. So the winner shot 69 instead of 66. That’s really insignificant to me.

The player accessibility is the key to LIV. That’s their calling card. The relaxed nature of it provides that. The guys seem to take it less serious than the PGA events I’ve been to.

Agree on the TV product. It’s garbage.

Last edited:
Personally, I really enjoyed less fanfare. That was the most enjoyable thing about this past weekend. The only thing that would have made it better would have been if I was the only guy out there and they were performing just for me. Oh, and a cart.

As for their play, that makes no difference to me. So what Rahm was a slightly better golfer when he was on the PGA? He still plays at a level and hits shots at which I marvel. So the winner shot 69 instead of 66. That’s really insignificant to me.

The player accessibility is the key to LIV. That’s their calling card. The relaxed nature of it provides that. The guys seem to take it less serious than the PGA events I’ve been to.

what struck me on the few tournaments I've attended is that the pro golfers are not just better but on a different plane altogether. And it all looks so natural and effortless. It's a cool thing to witness in person because that doesn't come across so much on TV.

what struck me on the few tournaments I've attended is that the pro golfers are not just better but on a different plane altogether. And it all looks so natural and effortless. It's a cool thing to witness in person because that doesn't come across so much on TV.
I think this is a bit of a universal reaction. Ever attend an NBA or NFL game? They are all so fast, big, strong, skilled, etc. I've even made this pitch to people who poo poo NASCAR imploring them to attend just one race. Yes, everyone gets the joke about it being all left turns, but I can't explain in words the amazement of watching these drivers basically take a car the same shape/size as what we all drove to the track and driving at almost 200 mph six inches from each other. The feel of the wind they create going by, the vibration in your chest, the smells, it's not communicated on tv. It doesn't make one a fan, but it does gain new appreciation for the talent. I liken it to visiting the Grand Canyon versus seeing a picture of it on your phone.

Talent at the highest levels is amazing, golfers being no exception.

Personally, I really enjoyed less fanfare.
Never been to LIV, but have been to some stuff around me as well as Augusta. I'd suggest trying to check out some practice rounds next time a tourney is near you. Don't get me wrong, the players are deathly serious and some are in the zone all the time. On the other hand, some are crazy interactive and will even engage in telling you what they are trying to do and why they are hitting multiple shots from certain locations. Phil was great one year in telling us things when following him around in prep for The Masters. Plus, it was great seeing all the older former winners who almost all interacted since they knew they were there to enjoy the experience and possibly make the cut.

Reactions: gunslingerdick

So when are you reaching out to Andrew about hosting the first THI Invitational, lol?

I think this is a bit of a universal reaction. Ever attend an NBA or NFL game? They are all so fast, big, strong, skilled, etc. I've even made this pitch to people who poo poo NASCAR imploring them to attend just one race. Yes, everyone gets the joke about it being all left turns, but I can't explain in words the amazement of watching these drivers basically take a car the same shape/size as what we all drove to the track and driving at almost 200 mph six inches from each other. The feel of the wind they create going by, the vibration in your chest, the smells, it's not communicated on tv. It doesn't make one a fan, but it does gain new appreciation for the talent. I liken it to visiting the Grand Canyon versus seeing a picture of it on your phone.

Talent at the highest levels is amazing, golfers being no exception.
I've done all the things you mention and I agree, Throw in some drag racing. My brother and I used to go to Rockingham at a time when you could stand right there at the starting line. It was crazy, the insane power and noise would go right through you.

• Love
Reactions: pooponduke

I wonder if smaller galleries means fewer people using the courage of being in a crowd to shout out idiocy....while a more relaxed atmosphere encourages the act. Either way I despise it.. What say you? Was there more of that or less of that?

I wonder if smaller galleries means fewer people using the courage of being in a crowd to shout out idiocy....while a more relaxed atmosphere encourages the act. Either way I despise it.. What say you? Was there more of that or less of that?

I heard not one single “GET IN THE HOLE!”, “MASHED POTATOES”, or “BABA BOOEY” the whole day. I was worried it was gonna be corny like that but it wasn’t. Tee boxes were fairly restrained. Outside of the music coming through the speakers, that is.

Reactions: bluetoe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT