ADVERTISEMENT

Longo?

sctarheel30

Hall of Famer
Feb 4, 2004
some have questioned him so I pose a question is it his play calling ability or the lack of playmakers or the oline concerns? Maybe something else?

The o-line doesn’t help. Probably enough to justify giving him another year to put it together. But the play calls have been terrible in some big moments.

Reactions: SorryNotSorry
I liked the play calling tonight. He schemed for the opponent and didn’t put Sam in to many bad situations.
The 2-point conversion call would have made sense if Marquise Williams were QB, because he often lacked passing touch and often tried to force passes, and he was 235 pounds of RB style power carrying the ball.

But with Howell, that was an awful call.

Should have taken more shots downfield to Dyami. The CB on him was struggling to cover him.

Don't throw a short pass on 2nd and 1. Either run the ball and try to pick up the first down, or take a shot downfield. If they stop the run on 2nd down then it makes more sense to throw a short pass for the first down.

Probably got a little too aggressive going for it on 4th down at midfield when the defense was outstanding all day long. Pin them deep and let the defense keep doing their thing. But that's on Mack not Longo.

The 2-point conversion call made no sense. If you want Sam to move laterally then give him an option to pass in case they have the numbers to cover the goal line.

There were several occasions where we were having success running the ball on first down, then went away from the run and the drive stalled out.

Ill say this. We are much better than anybody expected in year 1 on both sides. I also acknowledge that our O line play is awful at times. That being said, what a F’n stupid 2 point conversion call trying to run the option with a below average runner at QB against one of the best defenses against the run in the country...Makes a ton of sense (not)

Really a very bad call on that 2 point play. Howell is not an effective option QB, yet he is put in a position to have to make THE play of the game that is not playing at all to his strength

Reactions: JimmyinVA
The 2-point conversion call would have made sense if Marquise Williams were QB, because he often lacked passing touch and often tried to force passes, and he was 235 pounds of RB style power carrying the ball.

But with Howell, that was an awful call.
Yeah just about every decision to have Howell run the ball was an awful call. Not saying he’s not a good option to run, but he wasn’t a good option to run today.

There were some questionable calls for sure but I think he needs another year. He will be fine. Now for the oline situation not sure Searels is the man because we have some highly rated prospects on the bench with lesser recruited guys playing. I know things can’t be based on stars and hype out of high school but all of them can’t be a bust. I trust the staff to figure it out though.

It was a great game. The future is bright. Even if had worked, I would say the 2 point play was bad. Clemson has great lateral quickness, and Howell is not an option quarterback

Reactions: Littlejon
There were some questionable calls for sure but I think he needs another year. He will be fine. Now for the oline situation not sure Searels is the man because we have some highly rated prospects on the bench with lesser recruited guys playing. I know things can’t be based on stars and hype out of high school but all of them can’t be a bust. I trust the staff to figure it out though.
I imagine they’re wanting to RS most of the freshmen. Otherwise, I’d imagine the guys practicing the best are playing the most.

I love it when the arm chair, after the fact coaches, with the perfect 20/20 hindsight get on here to blast every little play call. On the two point conversation. Is the option Howells strength? No. But he can run it. And in their defensive deployment, Clemson guessed right (as they played it I think they flared looking for a screen but worked just as well for option). Sometimes you guess right. Sometimes wrong. For one, UNC is playing with a very young O line. A true freshman at QB. Against some of the highest rated defensive players coming out of high school in the country. UNC is still very much a work in progress. If you would have told me we could score 20 before the game, I would have taken it. And folks look at it like you have two evenly matched teams on the field. And that wasnt the case. Clemsons defensive talent far outweighs UNCs offensive talent. They had to peck, and poke, for everything they got. Had the #1 team in the country on the ropes with a chance to win. And that is more than anyone could have hoped for. Coaches earned their money, and then some, yesterday.

Ill say this. We are much better than anybody expected in year 1 on both sides. I also acknowledge that our O line play is awful at times. That being said, what a F’n stupid 2 point conversion call trying to run the option with a below average runner at QB against one of the best defenses against the run in the country...Makes a ton of sense (not)
Statistically, our offense isn’t as good this year. I’m not very high on Longo while over the moon about Bateman.

Reactions: CrazyHeel
I think we need a couple of seasons to judge Longo. I’m sure once talent and depth are elevated we’ll see more.

Reactions: CrazyHeel
I think we need a couple of seasons to judge Longo. I’m sure once talent and depth are elevated we’ll see more.
I’m pretty confident Mack will make a decision sooner than that. We should be ultra talented on offense next year. If we struggle, he will go.

I’m pretty confident Mack will make a decision sooner than that. We should be ultra talented on offense next year. If we struggle, he will go.

So that would be two years...this year and next. We agree on an appropriate timeline if a change were to be needed

So that would be two years...this year and next. We agree on an appropriate timeline if a change were to be needed
My bad. I read it as a few years for some reason. I really want Longo to work out because switching up OCs is always tough on QBs.

Didn't Longo have a rep for struggling in the red zone in the past?
Ole Miss' red zone percentage was #6 nationally in 2017 and #23 nationally in 2018. Their red zone touchdown percentage was bad, though: only 56% (#92 nationally) in 2017 and only 50% (#121 nationally) in 2018. There are roughly 130 FBS teams each year.

Longo's numbers at UNC are strangely similar. The Heels' red zone percentage is 100% which is tied for #1 nationally. But their red zone touchdown percentage is only 59% (#81 nationally).

It's like his offense is the inverse of a bend-but-don't-break defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: TarHeelMark
Obviously that two point play wasn't a good play because it did't work. Running lateral against Clemson with their speed down there that close is tough sledding. I was against the two point conversion in the first place. Our guys worked so hard to get that last TD, and I hated for the game to be decided by ONE play, do or die. On the other hand, I understand the logic to go for the lead. I have no argument with the decision Mack made. If I were the coach, we would have kicked the extra point.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Rutgers has fired HC Chris Ash. Longo is a native of NJ who played at Rowan U for John Bunting. His NJ ties are deep. Rutgers is not a destination job for anyone not from NJ who wants to be in NJ (and that is a small list of coaches with P5 experience at the coordinator level or 1AA HC experience).

Will Longo pursue the job through his agent (I don't know who that is)? Would Rutgers be interested in him because he has been OC for 2 P5 teams in different conferences?

Rutgers has fired HC Chris Ash. Longo is a native of NJ who played at Rowan U for John Bunting. His NJ ties are deep. Rutgers is not a destination job for anyone not from NJ who wants to be in NJ (and that is a small list of coaches with P5 experience at the coordinator level or 1AA HC experience).

Will Longo pursue the job through his agent (I don't know who that is)? Would Rutgers be interested in him because he has been OC for 2 P5 teams in different conferences?
That's interesting....maybe he will bolt to Rutgers. It would certainly disrupt things at UNC. Although he has made some kind of weird calls in these tight games, I wouldn't want him to go now.

I love it when the arm chair, after the fact coaches, with the perfect 20/20 hindsight get on here to blast every little play call. On the two point conversation. Is the option Howells strength? No. But he can run it. And in their defensive deployment, Clemson guessed right (as they played it I think they flared looking for a screen but worked just as well for option). Sometimes you guess right. Sometimes wrong. For one, UNC is playing with a very young O line. A true freshman at QB. Against some of the highest rated defensive players coming out of high school in the country. UNC is still very much a work in progress. If you would have told me we could score 20 before the game, I would have taken it. And folks look at it like you have two evenly matched teams on the field. And that wasnt the case. Clemsons defensive talent far outweighs UNCs offensive talent. They had to peck, and poke, for everything they got. Had the #1 team in the country on the ropes with a chance to win. And that is more than anyone could have hoped for. Coaches earned their money, and then some, yesterday.

This

I’m ok with Longo. Our o-line is not our strong point and he is breaking in a true freshman qb. Now I will say the 2pt call was terrible but every OC makes some bad calls from time to time. I do wish he would go ahead and take the training wheels off Sam and take some more shots downfield where we have been considerably successful. I say give him some time and another year.

I want to see how we look by the end of the year. I'm betting our offense will start looking a lot better over the second half of the season.

Also, let's give Longo (and Mack) some credit for not trying to run the offense at full tempo all game long and potentially putting our tired D back on the field too quickly. We've all seen how badly that can backfire.

Reactions: Archer2
The biggest criticism of the playcalling the past few years was that our OC’s just didn’t seem to learn from mistakes. I’m interested to see if Longo makes adjustments and improves as the season goes on.

Reactions: Archer2
That's interesting....maybe he will bolt to Rutgers. It would certainly disrupt things at UNC. Although he has made some kind of weird calls in these tight games, I wouldn't want him to go now.

Hopefully he stays. I seem to think with the increase in talent he will do good.

ADVERTISEMENT