ADVERTISEMENT

lots of Thig rumors on the other site

blazers

Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2001
a poster or two are pretty confident thigpen is going to be the tenth assistant. Anybody hearing similar? I'd heard a grad student or Dre Bly were potential options at one point too.

Someone like Thigpen (recruiter-wise) would be awesome.

a poster or two are pretty confident thigpen is going to be the tenth assistant. Anybody hearing similar? I'd heard a grad student or Dre Bly were potential options at one point too.

Someone like Thigpen (recruiter-wise) would be awesome.
As far as I know thigpen really burned that bridge gonna have to build a new one if he is coming back

ive read same expect announcement Jan 6th .. hope its true he could really help recruiting /coaching !!!

He's one of the best recruiters in the SEC. We would be a force to be reckoned with if we could start landing that kind of talent of the defensive side of the ball

Reactions: Heels Noir
Reports today that Thigpen has agreed to a deal with UNC. It would be a great hire if true.

Reactions: Heels Noir
Big time hire. If he can bring SEC level defensive talent to UNC then we could have a bright future ahead.

As far as I know thigpen really burned that bridge gonna have to build a new one if he is coming back
That bridge-burning was widely discussed. And such burnt bridges are very hard to rebuild, But who knows?

Thigpen is not a top-notch DC type (reportedly the source of his irritation - he felt he deserved such a position). But he is an excellent recruiter, and he can be a sound position coach. He could help the program. But only if he were to want to be back in Chapel Hill. If he were to take the job only to have a P5 job for 2018, then he might do it half-heartedly and be on the market next year.

That bridge-burning was widely discussed. And such burnt bridges are very hard to rebuild, But who knows?

Thigpen is not a top-notch DC type (reportedly the source of his irritation - he felt he deserved such a position). But he is an excellent recruiter, and he can be a sound position coach. He could help the program. But only if he were to want to be back in Chapel Hill. If he were to take the job only to have a P5 job for 2018, then he might do it half-heartedly and be on the market next year.
what would be wrong with that...then the rumor could start again

Recruiting could use a boost, especially someone with SEC defensive ties that understands what type of kids you need on D. Hoping the rumor is true but I would also love to have Dre.

Recruiting could use a boost, especially someone with SEC defensive ties that understands what type of kids you need on D. Hoping the rumor is true but I would also love to have Dre.
Bly needs to work his way up. If he is a 1AA DB coach who produces, he'll get a P5 DB coach job.

As for UNC needing a coach on D with SEC experience and proven skill as a recruiter - absolutely.

I get you woad. Thig is the better choice for us - I just remember watching Dre ballhawk everybody, something we haven't seen since then really.

what would be wrong with that...then the rumor could start again
Tommy may have burned bridges with the former staff i.e. Butch Davis when he questioned some of the former staff's recruiting techniques!

What kind of recruiting jump should be reasonable to expect?

What kind of recruiting jump should be reasonable to expect?
Not to be negative, but we've had a few guys come thru that are renowned recruiters to barely move the needle. Wasn't Larry Porter supposed to be an amazing recruiter? Maybe he helped seal the deal on some guys, but I don't remember his name being associated with recruiting here.

I have sat in Tommy's office on multiple occasions when he was in Chapel Hill. The man can sell ice to Eskimos. Tommy has made me committ over a dozen times, only to be reminded that I don't have any eligibility left!

Tommy may have burned bridges with the former staff i.e. Butch Davis when he questioned some of the former staff's recruiting techniques!
i heard that one problem was that our recruiters would have a kid close to signing and j blake would try and step in and claim the credit.
anyone else hear that rumor?

Reactions: matt 1976
That is not a rumor. Tommy also went to Butch and questioned some of the things Blake was doing to get kids to sign with Carolina.

Thig recruited many kids from my high school and never once did anything out of line. Every school in the country would contact my kids during dead periods and give them give thing almost anything. Tommy never did these things.

Not to be negative, but we've had a few guys come thru that are renowned recruiters to barely move the needle. Wasn't Larry Porter supposed to be an amazing recruiter? Maybe he helped seal the deal on some guys, but I don't remember his name being associated with recruiting here.
At LSU, yes. But what RB coach can't recruit to LSU? The number of heavily recruited 5, 4, and high 3* RBs that live within a 3 hour drive of Baton Rouge is amazing. LSU is always going to get at least its fair share of those top RB recruits.

Thigpen is, I think, a much better recruiter than Porter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT