ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville is bowl eligible

Xlance

Sophomore
Sep 29, 2014
With two games on their schedule Louisville has become bowl eligible. The previous coach reportedly left the cupboard bare, but good coaching could have the Cardinals finishing at 8-4 and in second place in the Atlantic division.

Not yet, but I’m afraid he may become one and we will have missed our chance to hire him.
While I would've been perfectly fine with UNC hiring him, I would've also been concerned that he would become a hot commodity for an SEC team to take away from us after 4 or 5 years of success. With Mack, we know that won't be an issue. Of course, we have to make the right decision - this time - when Mack is ready to step down.

While I would've been perfectly fine with UNC hiring him, I would've also been concerned that he would become a hot commodity for an SEC team to take away from us after 4 or 5 years of success. With Mack, we know that won't be an issue. Of course, we have to make the right decision - this time - when Mack is ready to step down.
That's a problem you want to have though. It's a good thing if a bigger program poaches your coach. Means you've probably had a couple of stellar seasons. It also means you're set up for future success (making the assumption that said coach has improved recruiting) as long as you have a competent AD that makes a good hire to replace the poached coach.

We did not have a competent AD when Mack left.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
He's a NC boy, I have a feeling he would have been content to stay in his home state, especially if he'd turned UNC into the program it has the potential to be, one that can consistently play in the ACCCG. Perhaps we can lure him back when Mack leaves.

That's a problem you want to have though. It's a good thing if a bigger program poaches your coach. Means you've probably had a couple of stellar seasons. It also means you're set up for future success (making the assumption that said coach has improved recruiting) as long as you have a competent AD that makes a good hire to replace the poached coach.

We did not have a competent AD when Mack left.
I agree with your post, especially the part in bold type. I was lukewarm about the hiring of Mack. As most know, I was touting Satterfield and Norvell hard. I think both are becoming very good coaches. But I can't fault anything Mack has done, with the possible exception of hiring Longo as OC. But he has reestablished our recruiting ties with NC high school coaches, something that was of paramount importance to building a sound program at UNC. Perhaps Satterfield would have been able to do the same thing, being from this state, but that's water under the proverbial bridge. I'm hoping Mack can restore the program back to sound footing before he retires, and I think he's well on his way to accomplishing that.

Then, will the HC gig at UNC be attractive enough to entice a really good coach to take the position, and will we cough up the requisite money to do so.

He's a NC boy, I have a feeling he would have been content to stay in his home state, especially if he'd turned UNC into the program it has the potential to be, one that can consistently play in the ACCCG. Perhaps we can lure him back when Mack leaves.

I agree with your post, especially the part in bold type. I was lukewarm about the hiring of Mack. As most know, I was touting Satterfield and Norvell hard. I think both are becoming very good coaches. But I can't fault anything Mack has done, with the possible exception of hiring Longo as OC. But he has reestablished our recruiting ties with NC high school coaches, something that was of paramount importance to building a sound program at UNC. Perhaps Satterfield would have been able to do the same thing, being from this state, but that's water under the proverbial bridge. I'm hoping Mack can restore the program back to sound footing before he retires, and I think he's well on his way to accomplishing that.

Then, will the HC gig at UNC be attractive enough to entice a really good coach to take the position, and will we cough up the requisite money to do so.

What leads you to believe the AD we have now is competent?
He hired Larry and then gave him an extension that left us with a $12 Million buy out.

I believe that Satterfield will be the next HC of UNC, once Mack says that he's done. It would be a great situation for Mack to keep this train heading in the direction that it is going and make us a top 15-20 program year in and year out. Satterfield will have a chance to prove himself as a consistent winner and if he does, then he will get to come back home to NC to take over his dream job.

I believe that Satterfield will be the next HC of UNC, once Mack says that he's done. It would be a great situation for Mack to keep this train heading in the direction that it is going and make us a top 15-20 program year in and year out. Satterfield will have a chance to prove himself as a consistent winner and if he does, then he will get to come back home to NC to take over his dream job.
If it worked out that way, it would be great to have a proven, (and still young) coach come to Chapel Hill, win, and stay.

This is what I'm hoping for at this point. It could become reality in 3-4 more years.

If it worked out that way, it would be great to have a proven, (and still young) coach come to Chapel Hill, win, and stay.
A-freakin'-men.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Not yet, but I’m afraid he may become one and we will have missed our chance to hire him.
He is still learning, and like you I think he could become a truly elite coach. If he is not at UNC but is in the ACC, I prefer him to not play UNC annually.

His cupboard wasn't bare offensively. Has one of the better RBs in acc, best left tackle in acc, very good wrs. He's done great things w those players and the young qbs.

what makes y'all think he's a carolina fan?
n orange co is a rural co with a lot of state fans.

state will be hiring a new football coach before we are.
i'm not seeing the rainbows you guys are.

what makes y'all think he's a carolina fan?
n orange co is a rural co with a lot of state fans.

state will be hiring a new football coach before we are.
i'm not seeing the rainbows you guys are.
I doubt that growing up a fan of either would make much difference now in terms of a job. Neither school offered him out of HS, which is the reason he played for App St. And until this year, his football focus has been all about App.

I certainly hope he does not go to Moo, or anybody else we play annually. I think he could be a big winner in the ACC.

Nothing has happened in the last three decades to suggest that anyone, short of Jesus, can turn moo into a consistent winner in basketball or football. There is this though...

That tweet is fake news: it forgot to assert that John Swofford caused all of Moo's misery with his endless cheating for UNC and against all things related to muck.

UL's mistake was bringing that POS petrino back. They got what they deserved with that guy. Now, however they have righted the ship with Satterfield.
He had to have just decided he was going to make the Cards so bad in 2018 that they would have to fire him, allowing him to walk away with a nice fortune.

Satterfield gets my vote for national coach of the year. Louisville won again today. Seventh win of the season

Probably gonna have to replace Mack in that same time frame anyway

What makes you think he would make a move within the conference other than to get away from Clemson’s side?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT