ADVERTISEMENT

Mack and Bronco

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
are opposites in the way they approach building a program. Mack became tagged as Mr. February when at Texas because he could win the recruiting wars every year and fail to win the Big XII. For Mack, everything begins with recruiting, and also is secondarily about recruiting, and then starts to become about arranging all that talent.

Mendenhall is a Blue Collar coach. He knows that to win, he must develop both unheralded players and very good individual game plans, because he is not going to out-recruit anybody capable of being in the Top 25.

Bronco leads the head to head 2-0.

You might grumble that that is not a fair stat because Mack has yet to assemble an entire team of his talent, but the fact is that this year UNC definitely has more talent than UVA. UNC lost not because of lack of talent, but because of coaching. The OL is an erratic mess with absolutely no player development. Special Teams are plain bad much of the time. Both the DL and LBs are largely undeveloped. DBs have tons of recruiting stars and P5 offers, but even with all that talent, the DBs manage their fair share of head scratchers and brain farts. Longo remains the Red Zone failure he was at Ole Miss, and he seems to think that TEs are great to pass to once a game.

Mack's philosophy with this staff cannot equal Clemson. Mack's philosophy with this staff has lost to a bad FSU team and a bad UVA team: poorly coached teams usually make more mistakes on the road.

I think Mack needs to make staff changes for next season. He doesn't need better recruiters, but he does need position coaches who are better at developing player talents and their ability to play smart football.

Reactions: Xlance
Among other things, I was really disappointed with the dumb penalties and the play that ended the first half. And WOW, just WOW, at the fake punt. I really thought UVA‘s best option to win the game was to try the fake, since we had been scoring at will against their D. I thought the staff would recognize that, but once we lined our D up for the punt, I knew we were in trouble. 😕

We knew what we were getting with Mack when he was hired.
You could imagine that Mack would have a hard time assembling a good coaching staff since he had been out of the game for so long. If Mack is planning on staying for two to four more years, he will need to upgrade his staff so that the coaching will match the level of his recruits.

Due to the being on national tv, there’s no hiding the fact that in at least 3/4 of our games this year, the camera has caught Mack chewing Longo’s ass out. There’s something there......and it’s likely the same stuff we bitch about on the game thread in regards to just god awful play calls at times in key situations.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Due to the being on national tv, there’s no hiding the fact that in at least 3/4 of our games this year, the camera has caught Mack chewing Longo’s ass out. There’s something there......and it’s likely the same stuff we bitch about on the game thread in regards to just god awful play calls at times in key situations.

Yep. Sometimes you call a decent play and the defense just has your number. But sometimes our idiot OC will throw a slant on 3rd and 1 in the red zone when Javonte or Carter has drug the defense all the way down the field.

Reactions: chickenhunter
are opposites in the way they approach building a program. Mack became tagged as Mr. February when at Texas because he could win the recruiting wars every year and fail to win the Big XII. For Mack, everything begins with recruiting, and also is secondarily about recruiting, and then starts to become about arranging all that talent.

Mendenhall is a Blue Collar coach. He knows that to win, he must develop both unheralded players and very good individual game plans, because he is not going to out-recruit anybody capable of being in the Top 25.

Bronco leads the head to head 2-0.

You might grumble that that is not a fair stat because Mack has yet to assemble an entire team of his talent, but the fact is that this year UNC definitely has more talent than UVA. UNC lost not because of lack of talent, but because of coaching. The OL is an erratic mess with absolutely no player development. Special Teams are plain bad much of the time. Both the DL and LBs are largely undeveloped. DBs have tons of recruiting stars and P5 offers, but even with all that talent, the DBs manage their fair share of head scratchers and brain farts. Longo remains the Red Zone failure he was at Ole Miss, and he seems to think that TEs are great to pass to once a game.

Mack's philosophy with this staff cannot equal Clemson. Mack's philosophy with this staff has lost to a bad FSU team and a bad UVA team: poorly coached teams usually make more mistakes on the road.

I think Mack needs to make staff changes for next season. He doesn't need better recruiters, but he does need position coaches who are better at developing player talents and their ability to play smart football.
I hear you, but your buried the lede:
- With his approach and philosophy, Bronco's ceiling is winning the Coastal
- With his approach and philosophy, Mack's ceiling is a playoff appearance and then who knows.

Notice I said CEILING. I am thoroughly dissatisfied with our performance in most games this season and Mack has to fix it, but overall, his ceiling is way higher than Bronco's.

longo makes me scratch my head at times, needs to improve in the red zone and improve the O line but overall i'm happy with the direction of the offense. bateman doesn't have the players to do much yet so i'm not sure how to judge him. i think he needs to play the young guys more and build depth and without depth it's hard to pull a guy when he's not playing well or does something dumb. i do see some recurring issues on D that should have been cleaned up already. maybe some changes in the position coaches?

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
I hear you, but your buried the lede:
- With his approach and philosophy, Bronco's ceiling is winning the Coastal
- With his approach and philosophy, Mack's ceiling is a playoff appearance and then who knows.

Notice I said CEILING. I am thoroughly dissatisfied with our performance in most games this season and Mack has to fix it, but overall, his ceiling is way higher than Bronco's.

I'd put money on Mack winning a title here if he was ten years younger. Our issue right now is that we need to OVER achieve to accelerate the process of bringing in top level talent.

The coaching hire after Mack is crucial. He's laying a foundation, so even if he doesn't get us to the promised land then he will be setting up the next guy to have the best possible chance to get there.

I definitely agree UNC has more talent but compare UNC and UVa depth charts. Hoos only start a few that are not juniors or older, especially on the lines. They were in the ACC title game last season. You can argue the coaching and talent but the experience level is also a factor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT