ADVERTISEMENT

Mack brown in town

heelmanwilm

Hall of Famer
May 26, 2005
Wilmington NC
looks like hes going into the Hall of Fame and they had some sort of special gathering for him here with some former players. Saw some highlights from his days here. All that home grown nfl talent. God did we screw the pooch on him. I’ve always believed if we had ponied up the cash he would’ve spent his career here and UNC football would’ve been a significant player on the national scene for decades. It was a defining moment in UNC football. We never recovered. But thanks mack for making us relevant for at least a few years.

Was money really the only issue though? Texas was an established brand. Even if we ponied up the cash, there was always a chance that he still leaves for the more prestigious program.

Was money really the only issue though? Texas was an established brand. Even if we ponied up the cash, there was always a chance that he still leaves for the more prestigious program.
It's never the only issue, but good luck trying to convince some UNC football fans of that. There are some out there who think the school is purposefully holding down football.

If i remember correctly texas made an offer and unc wouldnt match it. Mack loved it here and has said many times he wanted to stay and supposedly he would have if unc stepped up. When it was apparent he was gonna take the texas job unc then matched it but it was too late. Mack wouldnt go back on his word to texas the way that fpos beamer did to us.

If i remember correctly texas made an offer and unc wouldnt match it. Mack loved it here and has said many times he wanted to stay and supposedly he would have if unc stepped up. When it was apparent he was gonna take the texas job unc then matched it but it was too late. Mack wouldnt go back on his word to texas the way that fpos beamer did to us.

I've always heard that, but I try to take that stuff with a grain of salt. None of us were there when they were negotiating. Lots of times, coaches or schools will leak a story around that kind of situation for PR purposes. MB claiming he wanted to stay at Carolina, but they wouldn't pay him, is a great way to not look like he cut and ran to a bigger football program.

I'm not saying that's what happened. But if it what happened, then it definitely worked.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
I've always heard that, but I try to take that stuff with a grain of salt. None of us were there when they were negotiating. Lots of times, coaches or schools will leak a story around that kind of situation for PR purposes. MB claiming he wanted to stay at Carolina, but they wouldn't pay him, is a great way to not look like he cut and ran to a bigger football program.

I'm not saying that's what happened. But if it what happened, then it definitely worked.
A number of years ago, I cut and pasted from Mack's autobiography about that time. If I recall correctly, he said that Baddour told him he might get a raise to equal what Texas offered, but that it would take time (meaning Baddour was not authorized to guarantee it) and that if what Mack wanted was for football to be king, he couldn't get that in Chapel Hill.

Doubt that without eclilsing the Texas offer by a decent bit that Mack would have stayed. He had gotten UNC as good as they had ever been. And even when they thought they were finally on an even playing field with FSU they couldn't beat them. Always good to leave when on top of the game at a school before the fan base gets restless with where the program is. All the fans always want that one more win. Plus folks know you can win a national championship at Texas, which he did. Not so sure he felt that could be accomplished at UNC.

I like to imagine Michael Crabtree as an agent of karmic justice.

Doubt that without eclilsing the Texas offer by a decent bit that Mack would have stayed. He had gotten UNC as good as they had ever been. And even when they thought they were finally on an even playing field with FSU they couldn't beat them. Always good to leave when on top of the game at a school before the fan base gets restless with where the program is. All the fans always want that one more win. Plus folks know you can win a national championship at Texas, which he did. Not so sure he felt that could be accomplished at UNC.
2 more top notch recruits on each side of the ball, and Mack would have have us about even with FSU. Even with FSU then a real ability to play for the National Championship.

It could have been done.

2 more top notch recruits on each side of the ball, and Mack would have have us about even with FSU. Even with FSU then a real ability to play for the National Championship.

It could have been done.

OK. Then you have to give FSU two more on each side of the ball. The smart guys know when it is best to jump to the next oppportunity. Jimmy Johnson always did the same thing.

I agree with midline here. I think deep down Mack thought he could not lead UNC past Florida State and I don't blame him for that one bit. I think he felt in that regard he gad taken us as far as he could go.

I also heard but can't confirm that Mack was a little but hurt that in that time, the fall of 1997, that newly promoted to head basketball coach Bill Guthridge, was set to make more money than him.

For those reasons aline plus the fact he would get more money at Texas with a chance to win a national title the decision was a total no Brainerd for him. I don't begrudge him one iota for making the move.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT