ADVERTISEMENT

Mack on ESPN last night

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
I've been busy and haven't said anything about it. Mack was on Sports Center last night before the airing of the Texas-SC National Championship game. Mack made certain that he talked up UNC as well as talked about that game and Texas team.

More interesting is that Mack tweeted throughout the replay about the game, and then after the game he added: "'We did it. We were National Champions. We did it at Texas and we can do it at Carolina. We were a Top 5 program here before and we’re headed there now. It’s going to happen.'"

Mack is predicting publicly that UNC can win it all.

Back to the Torbush hiring, a few of us have always said that with the right coach, UNC can win the National Championship; we truly knew that Bobby Bowden was correct in saying that UNC was a sleeping giant. I have felt at least since Bunting's 3rd year that if you scratch the right spots and deeply enough, you will find that almost all those who defend the lackluster UNC football coaches as they flounder in ineptitude do so because deep down they either do not want UNC football to be a true power (UNC basketball-only fans and more than a few basketball-first fans) or they do not truly believe that UNC football can be a National power.

Those fans are OK with sustained mediocrity. They prefer not to have 3 consecutive losing teams, or to get rolled by Moo or Dook, but they are fine with teams that win 6 to 8 games. And give that crowd one seemingly good season against weak competition, and they will cream their jeans for at least a half decade of low mediocrity.

The right coach at UNC can win the ACC and the National Championship. Mack knows that if he lands the 2021 class he wants, that UNC can be in the National title hunt no later than 2022.

Mack needs to win it all at UNC before Bowden dies so the old man can say that he saw it all back in the 1990s, and that he is doubly proud it was an FSU alum who brought the football National Championship to Chapel Hill.

More interesting is that Mack tweeted throughout the replay about the game, and then after the game he added: "'We did it. We were National Champions. We did it at Texas and we can do it at Carolina. We were a Top 5 program here before and we’re headed there now. It’s going to happen.'"

I wouldn’t expect anything less from him.

...if you scratch the right spots and deeply enough, you will find that almost all those who defend the lackluster UNC football coaches as they flounder in ineptitude do so because deep down they either do not want UNC football to be a true power (UNC basketball-only fans and more than a few basketball-first fans) or they do not truly believe that UNC football can be a National power.
Poppycock!

Those fans are OK with sustained mediocrity. They prefer not to have 3 consecutive losing teams, or to get rolled by Moo or Dook, but they are fine with teams that win 6 to 8 games. And give that crowd one seemingly good season against weak competition, and they will cream their jeans for at least a half decade of low mediocrity.
Still more Poppycock. I know many, many UNC fans and not a one of them is happy with a mediocre football program. To a person, they think we can be much better. They just haven’t seen much progress towards those ends.
The right coach at UNC can win the ACC and the National Championship. Mack knows that if he lands the 2021 class he wants, that UNC can be in the National title hunt no later than 2022.
Or perhaps by 2023.

Last edited:
I've been busy and haven't said anything about it. Mack was on Sports Center last night before the airing of the Texas-SC National Championship game. Mack made certain that he talked up UNC as well as talked about that game and Texas team.

Back to the Torbush hiring, a few of us have always said that with the right coach, UNC can win the National Championship; we truly knew that Bobby Bowden was correct in saying that UNC was a sleeping giant. I have felt at least since Bunting's 3rd year that if you scratch the right spots and deeply enough, you will find that almost all those who defend the lackluster UNC football coaches as they flounder in ineptitude do so because deep down they either do not want UNC football to be a true power (UNC basketball-only fans and more than a few basketball-first fans) or they do not truly believe that UNC football can be a National power.

Mack needs to win it all at UNC before Bowden dies so the old man can say that he saw it all back in the 1990s, and that he is doubly proud it was an FSU alum who brought the football National Championship to Chapel Hill.
great post, and you can include me in the relative few who have always believed, and accordingly preached, that we could have a football natty here in Chapel Hill. I said as much on the Main Board some time around when Fedora got canned but before Mack was re-hired, and the few who bothered to respond tried to laugh me down. I can't wait until we are in serious contention, so I can call those dillweeds out.

great post, and you can include me in the relative few who have always believed, and accordingly preached, that we could have a football natty here in Chapel Hill. I said as much on the Main Board some time around when Fedora got canned but before Mack was re-hired, and the few who bothered to respond tried to laugh me down. I can't wait until we are in serious contention, so I can call those dillweeds out.

tumblr_inline_o3zdopagXC1t56jou_500.gif

Reactions: bluetoe
SMILE

!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT