ADVERTISEMENT

Mack on what OT should be

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
Mack says in OT the ball should be placed on the 35 rather than the 25. That starting farther back will make it tougher to score, even FGs, which would mean many fewer multiple OT games.

I agree with Mack. The 2 point conversion rule starting with the 5th OT is crap.

Reactions: ohio tarheels
Said for years that starting on the 25 was ridiculous.... I still say play another quarter and if it’s still tied then it ends in a tie.... But the 2 pt conversions starting in the 5th OT was like watching a pee-wee flag football game trying to beat the time limit set in place to make sure game gets over at a certain time

Mack says in OT the ball should be placed on the 35 rather than the 25. That starting farther back will make it tougher to score, even FGs, which would mean many fewer multiple OT games.

I agree with Mack. The 2 point conversion rule starting with the 5th OT is crap.
I like that idea. Make it a little tougher to score and hopefully it only takes one or two OTs to settle it.

Said for years that starting on the 25 was ridiculous.... I still say play another quarter and if it’s still tied then it ends in a tie.... But the 2 pt conversions starting in the 5th OT was like watching a pee-wee flag football game trying to beat the time limit set in place to make sure game gets over at a certain time
In soccer, they play more game before they get to Penalty Kicks. The NFL plays game.

They may wanna avoid ties because of the ramifications of getting-in, or not-getting-in, the playoffs... I dunno.

I like the idea of moving the ball from the 25 back at least to the 35, maybe the 45. Hate the 2-pt conversion possessions to determine the game.

Hate the 2-pt conversion possessions to determine the game.
That was insane. I dunno who came to that conclusion, but it's ridiculous. Just have an extra quarter and if it's tied, it's tied. 2-point conversions are barely used in the game as it is. And, they decide to use them to determine the winner after 4 overtimes! Crazy!

Reactions: heelfan1961
That was insane. I dunno who came to that conclusion, but it's ridiculous. Just have an extra quarter and if it's tied, it's tied. 2-point conversions are barely used in the game as it is. And, they decide to use them to determine the winner after 4 overtimes! Crazy!
Like you said earlier, too many playoff ramifications to do that. I like giving each team the ball on the 35 or 40 yard line. Just keep doing that till someone wins. It’s only one possession each per OT.

Or if you want to move the ball up to the 15 yard line after the 4th OT, fine. But deciding the game by mandatory 2-pt conversions is insane. Leave it to the NCAA to come up with that.

There's no good reason for a game to end in a tie IMO. Moving back to the 35 would be a good move. Then after 3 OT's if the game is still tied, it could go to 4 to score from the 15 or 20 yard line.

Like you said earlier, too many playoff ramifications to do that. I like giving each team the ball on the 35 or 40 yard line. Just keep doing that till someone wins. It’s only one possession each per OT.

Or if you want to move the ball up to the 15 yard line after the 4th OT, fine. But deciding the game by mandatory 2-pt conversions is insane. Leave it to the NCAA to come up with that.

I like this.

It’s also ridiculous that after 5 you can’t just go for a conversion of your choosing. If you get a stop, when you get the ball back you should have the option to kick the extra point effectively ending the game by 1.

Reactions: Archer2

I agree, but maybe just play an extra 10 minutes of real football! If it's tied, then it's tied, unless it's a championship game or in the playoffs.
The 2pt crap was a joke! When I saw the score I wondered how VT got a safety! I didn't know the new rule!

Reactions: ohio tarheels
I agree, but maybe just play an extra 10 minutes of real football! If it's tied, then it's tied, unless it's a championship game or in the playoffs.
The 2pt crap was a joke! When I saw the score I wondered how VT got a safety! I didn't know the new rule!

The only problem with that is it gives an advantage to whoever gets the ball first. They’re more likely to get an extra possession. I like the guarantee of teams getting the same number of possessions, but starting at the 35 would definitely make things more interesting in my opinion

Bring back the tie.
Playing OT in college football is akin to the DH in baseball.....it does not belong.

It's been said that a tie is like kissing your sister. So if that's your thing, well then...
There really is no logical reason for a tie. Not sure why anyone would want one either. It serves no purpose. I think I automatically win this argument just because of the last two posters who said they wanted a tie. If they want it, then you know it's bad.

There really is no logical reason for a tie. Not sure why anyone would want one either. It serves no purpose. I think I automatically win this argument just because of the last two posters who said they wanted a tie. If they want it, then you know it's bad.
Yeah, wouldn't it be really awesome if the Heels were 3-3-2 right now? Sheesh.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Yeah, wouldn't it be really awesome if the Heels were 3-3-2 right now? Sheesh.
Yeah, I really don't get why a tie would be good. Would 3-3-2 really be better than 3-5? In a way it would be worse, because you'd be left with a what if feeling. At least with a loss you have some closure.

I never understood why they start so close. A field goal is pretty much a given. Start on the 50.

I would put the ball at the 50, work to be done to get a reasonable field goal shot. Do not like the 2pt mandate at all, feels to much like a gimmick, like watching the WFL.

The only problem with that is it gives an advantage to whoever gets the ball first. They’re more likely to get an extra possession. I like the guarantee of teams getting the same number of possessions, but starting at the 35 would definitely make things more interesting in my opinion

Take the clock out of it, and just go a possession for each team, then sudden death! Sooner or later your defense has to make a stop.
I kick to you, force a punt, then I score a FG or TD, you've got once chance to stay alive.

Editing much later! In the above situation I would win, my mistake. But say you score a FG or TD in your first possession, then I tie you and kick off, next score wins!

Last edited:
Take the clock out of it, and just go a possession for each team, then sudden death! Sooner or later your defense has to make a stop.
I kick to you, force a punt, then I score a FG or TD, you've got once chance to stay alive.

Cul de sac rules. I like it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT