ADVERTISEMENT

Manek to UNC

Grad transfers don't help the program. A year from now we will be in exactly the same place we are right now.

Watched the first 30 seconds of his highlights and if he’s even half as effective on the pick and pop as he was in those clips, he’s a huge pick up for us.

A needed type of player. we absolutely need guys with his skillset. Shooting makes everyone better. He should immediately make Caleb, RJ better.

I would’ve loved to see what Sharp and Manek could do on the floor together. Sharp’s unique playmaking ability with Manek’s skill.

Roster is still short a guy who can create offense for himself and others, while having the ability to knock down a perimeter shot. But this is an important pickup.

Now we get to see how Hubert uses him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sk1310
Read the article and noted that it said he doesn’t play much defense. It was written by an Oklahoma writer so may just be sour grapes.

Reactions: bobcrane14
He doesn't get to the foul line. Only 23 of 30 last year. When I watched last year, Manek was usually about 27 feet from the basket on offense.

Which is exactly what we need, really. Too much stuffing the paint with no spacing whatsoever. A legit stretch four will do wonders for the offense.

Grad transfers don't help the program. A year from now we will be in exactly the same place we are right now.
He helps a ton next year. We have no one to start at the 4, and UNC shouldn't intentionally take rebuilding years. What would be a better use of the scholarship? It opens up in 12 months and can be used again.

With Portal Free Agency there will be 500-750 players hitting the portal each year.

Different beast now folks. No need to panic.

There is really no need to bring in high school projects anymore.

10351914.png

Yeah we should just sign no one of experience and hold open tryouts for walkons. I'm sure there are players right under our noses who can step in and play at a major program whom no one has ever heard of.

🙄

Bishop will be a tough sell, with Kansas and Texas, but he would bring the opposite skill set. 6'7 (long wing span), extremely athletic 3/4 mainly 4, who slashes, rolls to the hoop, catches oops, works well with space in the paint, runs the floor, blocks shots, passes well inside out for 3's, does not shoot it from outside much.

I am guessing Hubert is selling the concept that the spacing concept with shooters available at the 3-line and penetrating guards like Cam/RJ with space for them and the bigs now provided. Manek and Bishop both thrived in that concept, I am guessing he is selling this type of offensive action.

Yeah we should just sign no one of experience and hold open tryouts for walkons. I'm sure there are players right under our noses who can step in and play at a major program whom no one has ever heard of.

🙄

The point the Owl was making is getting players for one year will have to be done every year. A 3 or 4 year player out of high school brings more stability to the program. At no point did he mention walk ons or having tryouts.

The point the Owl was making is getting players for one year will have to be done every year. A 3 or 4 year player out of high school brings more stability to the program. At no point did he mention walk ons or having tryouts.
Yeah, I got it... but my point is someone experienced for one season is better than someone borderline for a few or no one at all. Evolve... it's not 1982 anymore. 4 year players are the rarity, rules and culture have changed.

Reactions: keysersosay#1
Bishop will be a tough sell, with Kansas and Texas, but he would bring the opposite skill set. 6'7 (long wing span), extremely athletic 3/4 mainly 4, who slashes, rolls to the hoop, catches oops, works well with space in the paint, runs the floor, blocks shots, passes well inside out for 3's, does not shoot it from outside much.

I am guessing Hubert is selling the concept that the spacing concept with shooters available at the 3-line and penetrating guards like Cam/RJ with space for them and the bigs now provided. Manek and Bishop both thrived in that concept, I am guessing he is selling this type of offensive action.
Committed to Texas yesterday as someone pointed out

I also see Virginia got Franklin from Indiana. He can shoot it, and will fit in well with Bennant.

Does a 3-4yr guy bring you that stability today? Looking at our roster, I don't Jeremiah, Huffman, don't see Manley, no Walker Miller, I don't even see Brooks on it? All non-5star guys, all 4yr players, all played for us, all have remaining eligibility, none of them are on our roster today? So, about that stability thing?

There will end up around 1500 guys in the portal by the time all are in and very few coming to college were considered anything but guys that would play 3-4yrs in the college game. That is still true but they will not be playing all that time with their original college team so that stability you speak of, not real stable now is it?

I think the best plan now is to for sure get some guys that will stay with your program multi-seasons but you have to mix in some of the best talents available thru both recruiting as well as the portal. You are likely to lose more of those multi year guys because they want PT to and the timing of those decisions forces you to go to the portal and get replacement parts. That is going to force coaches to lessen the learning curve for incoming players, both freshmen that you recruited in as well as transfers from the portal.

That is why I do really like Hubert putting his premium on kids working hard, on showing up as he puts it, "UNC will show up". Perfection in execution is every coaches goal but that takes time to learn, makes you suffer way to much when your team is lacking experience and know what, even on experienced teams that great execution does not always show up. But hustle, hard work, effort are things that can show up for every game and can be sustained from opening tip to final buzzer.

UNC didn't miss on Aidoo. He didn't qualify academically at UNC. In this day and age, you don't embarrass a kid, you quietly step away and let him go to a school that will take him. Classy move by Hubert. Another thing he learned from Roy.
Agree 100%, you must not have seen the original post where I said "we would already have another premier Big if he had passed admissions." He then asked who I was referring to and I answered - I never said "missed."

Does a 3-4yr guy bring you that stability today? Looking at our roster, I don't Jeremiah, Huffman, don't see Manley, no Walker Miller, I don't even see Brooks on it? All non-5star guys, all 4yr players, all played for us, all have remaining eligibility, none of them are on our roster today? So, about that stability thing?

There will end up around 1500 guys in the portal by the time all are in and very few coming to college were considered anything but guys that would play 3-4yrs in the college game. That is still true but they will not be playing all that time with their original college team so that stability you speak of, not real stable now is it?

I think the best plan now is to for sure get some guys that will stay with your program multi-seasons but you have to mix in some of the best talents available thru both recruiting as well as the portal. You are likely to lose more of those multi year guys because they want PT to and the timing of those decisions forces you to go to the portal and get replacement parts. That is going to force coaches to lessen the learning curve for incoming players, both freshmen that you recruited in as well as transfers from the portal.

That is why I do really like Hubert putting his premium on kids working hard, on showing up as he puts it, "UNC will show up". Perfection in execution is every coaches goal but that takes time to learn, makes you suffer way to much when your team is lacking experience and know what, even on experienced teams that great execution does not always show up. But hustle, hard work, effort are things that can show up for every game and can be sustained from opening tip to final buzzer.
Agree Dave, and I will add this: With portal free agency, you may see 500-750 players hit the Transfer Portal "each" year. Each player can transfer one time without sitting out a year. An argument can be made that bringing a player off the portal after his freshman year will bring more stability to a program because that player cannot transfer again unless he sits out a year. Just as important, you saw how that player performed against college competition.

It's a different landscape now and the coaches that figure out how to work the system the best will be the most successful.

Last edited:
Agree 100%, you must not have seen the original post where I said "we would already have another premier Big if he had passed admissions." He then asked who I was referring to and I answered - I never said "missed."
Sorry, my bad. I apologize.

In the near term, we're in a transitional period. Hubert needs to put his stamp on how he's going to run the program. It'll probably take a few years to really see how transfers, G-League, potential age limit changes affect the landscape going forward. During that transitional period, it's kind of important we don't suck and lose ground. So this is probably the most efficient way for Hubert to build a roster while recruiting his core group.

I'm not as afraid of the transfer bug destroying UNC going forward. Character will probably matter more going forward. Some dudes are built to compete and stay until they win their competition. Some dudes want a little more assurances going in. But, if the transfer bug is this way for the rest of eternity, then we have to adjust to that.

I also don't get the "grad transfers don't help the program" thing. These are dudes with the smallest amount of downside. If they do have NBA aspirations that meant more than their college career, they would've gone already. I would think these are the guys that are all in because they know this is it for them, potentially ever playing basketball at a competitive level again.

We just added a pretty good player. Pretty good players are assets to programs, even for one year.

Agree Dave, and I will add this: With portal free agency, you may see 500-750 players hit the Transfer Portal "each" year. Each player can transfer one time without sitting out a year. An argument can be made that bringing a player off the portal after his freshman year will bring more stability to a program because that player cannot transfer again unless he sits out a year. Just as important, you saw how that player performed against college competition.

It's a different landscape now and the coaches that figure out how to work the system the best will be the most successful.
This is a great point Steat. Those kids looking to transfer after one season in college will be looked at like Gold if they show some potential in year one.

Reactions: Steat
Read the article and noted that it said he doesn’t play much defense. It was written by an Oklahoma writer so may just be sour grapes.
Watched a lot of OU bball, and this is true. Not really his fault he basically played the 5 and did not like banging with bigs on D, it wore him out and he often came across as whining and soft. He won't have to do that here, so I think his overall game will be much better. Great get!

I see that Oklahoma replaced Manek with Tanner Groves. Very similar player if you just look at stats. A bit taller and only takes about a quarter of his shots from beyond the arc, but hits at about the same rate as Manek's 37%.

I was hoping we might get Tanner as our backup for both front line spots.

Tanner's brother also transferred to OK, so maybe they were looking for a package deal? Both started and had TS% above 60. Of course that's playing in a weak conference. But Tanner was strong against serious teams, too.

OK also just snagged Jordan Goldwire from Duke. I didn't realize Goldwire was on the ACC All-Defensive team or that he topped the ACC in assist-to-TO ratio. Pretty darn impressive, considering where he started.

In all fairness, he wasn’t much of an assist guy. His career A:TO ratio was 1.8:.7. I guess that does equate to about a 2.6:1 ratio though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT