ADVERTISEMENT

Manley update?

Indy_Heel

Sophomore
Nov 14, 2004
I haven't paid attention to CBB lately switched to NFL stuff, has Manley signed with anyone yet? I couldn't find anything. Is there a chance he still returns or is he definitely gone?

Reactions: crgold
I feel he is gone because if not, we would have heard something! I really don't think he will ever be healthy enough to play a full game, especially at our pace! I hope I am wrong!

Is Sharpe 100 percent off the table at this point? I know he is in the low 30's range of draft boards

I feel he is gone because if not, we would have heard something! I really don't think he will ever be healthy enough to play a full game, especially at our pace! I hope I am wrong!
But could he give us a couple of 3-minute bursts each half?

That could be enough for Armando to stay fresh in most games.

I've always assumed Sterling wants to play more than token minutes. He needs to find a school where the competition doesn't overtax his legs. Who knows, maybe he could work his way into playing for pay some day if he gets to ease into full games in a less harshly competitive environment.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I believe he could give us a few minutes at a time and be quite effective. I also think he wants more than that and who could blame him! I pray he finds the place that will allow him to fulfill those hoop dreams!

I believe he could give us a few minutes at a time and be quite effective. I also think he wants more than that and who could blame him! I pray he finds the place that will allow him to fulfill those hoop dreams!
100% agree. If he is healthy enough to do so, that is the best decision for him. The other angle is that if the reality is his knees will never hold up to any real minutes, one would think UNC would likely remain the best place for him (familiarity with the staff, school, program, etc.). So he must be feeling pretty confident about his health.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Like Kessler, I have a hard time understanding the Manley dynamic.

He wants to play more, but unlikely can handle starter minutes. Hmmmm, if only there were only a quality program who had an incumbent starter who needed a back up center.

Physically, he can either play or he can't. Maybe he can't get cleared and that's why he hasn't signed anywhere yet but it's not like he's going to go somewhere that plays on a smaller court or is part of a new, "Half-court League"! I get we run more than most but if he can't run at our pace for five minutes, he probably can't play 25 minutes of UVA style either.

I'd LOVE to have Manley do his grad year at UNC and finally realize some payoff for all the hard work and loyalty (from both he and UNC).

I agree with everything you just said however, peeps sometimes make decisions with our hearts and not our minds! In his heart he may think of himself as the guy we saw flashes of. The guy who could be a really good and versatile Big! Just because a doctor or trainer said you can't handle more minutes doesn't mean you agree with your heart! I still believe I could play ball internally even though everytime I jump a single time my back and knees hurt! My wife had to sell my goal behind my back to keep me out of the doctor's office, lol!

Reactions: TheGLOV
Is Sharpe 100 percent off the table at this point? I know he is in the low 30's range of draft boards
Regards to Sharpe, another pertinent question is, did he decide to finish the semester to be eligible for the fall if he decided to back out, or drop out after the season ended to focus on the draft?

As for Manley, "I want him back here at Carolina. He's a Tar Heel, he's always a Tar Heel."

No reason to listen to me or Travis2262. If Coach Davis analyzes Sharpe's draft potential, and determines that returning to UNC is the best option, I suspect that Sharpe would consider a sophomore year

If I’m Manley, I would feel obligated to return and help the team/staff that stood by me for four years when most staffs wouldn’t have. With all but one of our C/PF’s leaving, he had the perfect opportunity to pay the school back for their huge investment in time and money(scholarship as well as very expensive surgeries). If he could have merely replicated his ‘18 season of 10 MPG, 5.4 PPG, and 3.6 RPG, that would have been invaluable to our team next year. So his decision is disappointing.

Perhaps he truly believes he can play starter minutes(a delusion I believe), or he realizes he’s not up to playing at the ACC level. Regardless, I wish him well.

Last edited:
I can see where everything just said by Archer could be 100% true. I'm trying to assume the best intentions and just go with everyone involved decided this was in the kid's best interest! I think the kid has been through more in his short life than many will ever suffer and if he believes he can get closer to his dreams I'm behind him and I'm sure the program is too!

I hope someone in his ear is keeping it 100% truthful and not just telling him what he wants to hear!

Reactions: Archer2
If I’m Manley, I would feel obligated to return and help the team/staff that stood by me for four years when most staffs wouldn’t have. With all but one of our C/PF’s leaving, he had the perfect opportunity to pay the school back for their huge investment in time and money(scholarship as well as very expensive surgeries). If he could have merely replicated his ‘18 season of 10 MPG, 5.4 PPG, and 3.6 RPG, that would have been invaluable to our team next year. So his decision is disappointing.

Perhaps he truly believes he can play starter minutes(a delusion I believe), or he realizes he’s not up to playing at the ACC level. Regardless, I wish him well.
Not sure why he should feel obligated after four years. He committed for four years and that's what he gave us. He got his degree and now he wants to go somewhere he can get a few extra minutes.

Different strokes for different folks. I would feel an obligation to do so.
In this situation, I agree. Manley contributed very little on the court and UNC stuck by him. I know many coaches and programs who would not have done it and would have taken his scholarship to use for someone else.

I don't see Manley as an candidate for the Jerimiah Francis award. UNC honored Francis's scholarship offer, let him rehab his injuries and the kid transfers once he healed. Manley at least did his entire 4 years and, I don't feel, like he owes Carolina anything. I just don't see what he believes he is going to get elsewhere that he can't get here.

Folks, we are an injury to Mando, foul trouble, or extended rest periods away from being very small. If you were Hamilton at FSU, or any other coach with multiple quality bigs, what would your game plan against UNC be? Mine would be to UNC, UNC! Pound it inside until our one true center gets in foul trouble, own the boards and go to town!

I'm in the camp that Coach needs to be going HARD after a serviceable big to partner with Bacot. I also would be very surprised if any of those ramblings were new ideas to the coaching staff, just message board fodder.

Go Heels!!!

I strongly believe that UNC's medical staff does not believe his continuing to play to be in his best interest where as the kid feels he can still play some. When he played those few seconds end of this season, while nice to see him score and get a block, I saw a kid dragging a leg, be very surprised it it could hold up for any kind of meaningful minutes. I think he would still have 2 seasons of eligibility remaining. I would hate to see the kid need a knee replacement before turning 30yrs old...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT