ADVERTISEMENT

Marquette at UNC—-Wednesday 24 February 2021

I mean if you want to parse words to that extent to make the loss seem better than it was have at it. Regardless if it’s a “quad 3 “ or “quad 4” loss it’s really hurts.
Totally agree, very hurtful loss. HUGE difference in the quad for tournament chances though. Sub .500 absolutely no impact at all (other then helping to get their quad rating). Quad is everything as it pertains to selection Sunday.

Bad loss, so goes life as a bubble team, which we are every bit of.

I don't see where Sharpe is gone. He plays an obsolete position in the NBA and is relatively undersized for it. He is very good. But, I don't see how he is gone. He wouldn't be a lottery pick. Caleb Love is still the only one who is likely a lock to leave.
Wow. I know you likely are right, and that NBA (which I hate, may as well not exist as far as I am concerned) drafts on potential.....but there are only like 30 NBA teams, right? I think there have to be at least 60 (maybe 90) guards available to come out that I would rank / select over Caleb Love. Seriously, tell me one part of his game - just one out of maybe ten - that are NBA worthy. Is a turnover machine. Can't shoot. Can't defend. Not particularly big. Doesn't drive and finish well. Doesn't focus to shoot FTs well.

Seriously - I can't see one thing with him right now, if I'm an NBA exec, that makes me say "wow - this guy is a lock NBA contributor because of X Y and Z."

Maybe he will go, maybe he needs the $ or the ego bump. I believe he will be sorely mistaken. I'd be surprised if he is in top two rounds on any draft board at this years end. And I'm guessing Roy would totally give him good advice - to stay.

Reactions: strummingram
It's just his athleticism. The NBA always relatively says that fixing a shot is the easiest thing to do (to make it at least average) but that you cant fix genetics.

It's ironic that Caleb Love falling for a pump fake and jumping over a dude accidentally is likely a play that will help him get drafted despite it's negative result.

See... I think Love will go as long as he is a borderline 1st round pick or possibly even a guaranteed 2nd round pick. I get that feel from him. Day'Ron could go just because it's basically impossible to raise his stock at his position, but I don't see him as a lock to go. I don't get the same feel from Sharpe as I do Love.

Reactions: dtodd4475
Wow. I know you likely are right, and that NBA (which I hate, may as well not exist as far as I am concerned) drafts on potential.....but there are only like 30 NBA teams, right? I think there have to be at least 60 (maybe 90) guards available to come out that I would rank / select over Caleb Love. Seriously, tell me one part of his game - just one out of maybe ten - that are NBA worthy. Is a turnover machine. Can't shoot. Can't defend. Not particularly big. Doesn't drive and finish well. Doesn't focus to shoot FTs well.

Seriously - I can't see one thing with him right now, if I'm an NBA exec, that makes me say "wow - this guy is a lock NBA contributor because of X Y and Z."

Maybe he will go, maybe he needs the $ or the ego bump. I believe he will be sorely mistaken. I'd be surprised if he is in top two rounds on any draft board at this years end. And I'm guessing Roy would totally give him good advice - to stay.
It's about where he thinks he can develop for the league better. I know many people here think college is the place for that, it may be for some. Others have taken the full time commitment to the chosen profession is the better route. The teams will develop a high skilled raw youngster, it is part of their structure now. Personal skill coaches with no practice time limits, playing and training to the skills needed for the league, in game G league grown man talent, NBA practice, summer league, etc.

Caleb's decision is not to step in and play in the league next year, it is what is the best place to hone his game for his desired profession.

Reactions: Heelicious
I don't see where Sharpe is gone. He plays an obsolete position in the NBA and is relatively undersized for it. He is very good. But, I don't see how he is gone. He wouldn't be a lottery pick. Caleb Love is still the only one who is likely a lock to leave.
We should have a modest wager.

As for Caleb, I thought he might be raising his stock recently. But tonight's game didn't help him much.

I'd put Sharpe leaving at around 80%, Caleb closer to 50-50. Assuming no big changes.

Needless to say, I'd be happy to have both of them return if they really want to be here.

I really hope all who return (plus the new guys) get the full summer experience this time around. I think that will make a lot of difference.

It's about where he thinks he can develop for the league better. I know many people here think college is the place for that, it may be for some. Others have taken the full time commitment to the chosen profession is the better route. The teams will develop a high skilled raw youngster, it is part of their structure now. Personal skill coaches with no practice time limits, playing and training to the skills needed for the league, in game G league grown man talent, NBA practice, summer league, etc.

Caleb's decision is not to step in and play in the league next year, it is what is the best place to hone his game for his desired profession.
@dtodd4475 what you and @imajericho said makes sense, and I'm not going to argue with it. It just seems that if some freshman is going to get drafted to the NBA - it'd seem as a NBA GM you need to see some spark of something more than pure athleticism, to draft on. So he can jump out of the gym maybe, is strong, is fast. Great. If he has the basketball IQ of a turnip, and doesn't want to listen, and doesn't seem that interested or able to pass well.... are these things a kid can learn? Or are they just what he is as a person or player? Maybe a bad comparison, and I know McCants was here three years, and he turned out to be a total head case, but he was super athletic, was a great shooter and scorer and decent passer and defender especially by junior year....but flamed out in NBA because he had an attitude and wouldn't listen.

I don't buy that the PG is so hard at UNC - being a crutch for just overall play way below expectations. They run a lot of free lance stuff, and a key is to push the ball and run the primary and secondary break. That doesn't take three years of nuclear physics level basketball study to master.

Are any of you that think Sharp will be drafted watching the games? Sharp can’t catch a pass, he can’t shoot from 5 inches from the basket, and he can’t defend. Yes, he can dunk when nobody is on him. Heck, I could do that 40 years ago and it got me into intramurals. What NBA team would take him now? Honestly, I think those who see him gone next year are delusional.

marquette gave 100% on every play. marquette wanted it more. i find that hard to understand.

@dtodd4475 what you and @imajericho said makes sense, and I'm not going to argue with it. It just seems that if some freshman is going to get drafted to the NBA - it'd seem as a NBA GM you need to see some spark of something more than pure athleticism, to draft on. So he can jump out of the gym maybe, is strong, is fast. Great. If he has the basketball IQ of a turnip, and doesn't want to listen, and doesn't seem that interested or able to pass well.... are these things a kid can learn? Or are they just what he is as a person or player? Maybe a bad comparison, and I know McCants was here three years, and he turned out to be a total head case, but he was super athletic, was a great shooter and scorer and decent passer and defender especially by junior year....but flamed out in NBA because he had an attitude and wouldn't listen.

I don't buy that the PG is so hard at UNC - being a crutch for just overall play way below expectations. They run a lot of free lance stuff, and a key is to push the ball and run the primary and secondary break. That doesn't take three years of nuclear physics level basketball study to master.
Neither player being discussed look to be even a late 1st round guy, so that bodes well for developing another year at the college level. They will have to decide where and how they think is best to work on their deficiencies.

As for Caleb's point play, he really never has played point ( a bit in his last year of HS), his learning curve is a bit steeper at this level, not playing free and loose at all. Long way to go, if ever, on developing instinctual "point guard" play.

Are any of you that think Sharp will be drafted watching the games? Sharp can’t catch a pass, he can’t shoot from 5 inches from the basket, and he can’t defend. Yes, he can dunk when nobody is on him. Heck, I could do that 40 years ago and it got me into intramurals. What NBA team would take him now? Honestly, I think those who see him gone next year are delusional.
His greatest gift is his size and strength. He has no shooting touch. Zero at this point. And he so often plays smaller and weaker than he actually is. Doesn't meet the ball to catch it (even sort of backs away from it, allowing a defender to step in and steal it), doesn't make a big broad target in post up position, and when he gets the ball right on the block, often tries some spinning, moving away off balance circus shot, instead of taking one step or dribble and trying to dunk it.

And sometimes gets his shot blocked cleanly by someone smaller than him. At his size, this should happen only a couple times in a whole season at most.

If he doesn't dunk it, if he gets fouled, no point are coming because he is a clang master at the FT line.

Who wants this in the NBA? Somebody would teach him these things, but no way is he ready to play and compete on any team. Basketball skills just aren't there.

Agreed. No way he is stepping in ready to play. I don't think anyone thinks he is. Again, where do you develop the skill set needed for the league is the question. I hope he chooses UNC as that place.

One argument for going pro, not that I totally agree, is he will focus on those skill sets needed for an NBA big, not how to dominate with his power for the college game that doesn't necessarily translate.

When a NBA team takes these young raw kids it is year round targeted regiments that the teams have to develop them.

Something not talked about here on this forum is Love possibly leaving, not to go Pro, but for another program. Don't forget that these kids can play anywhere they can find an open scholly next season. Style of play to mimic the NBA will surely be on the single minded NBA hopefuls :(

Reactions: bobcrane14
Something not talked about here on this forum is Love possibly leaving, not to go Pro, but for another program. Don't forget that these kids can play anywhere they can find an open scholly next season. Style of play to mimic the NBA will surely be on the single minded NBA hopefuls :(
I'm not expecting him to go to a different college program - even if he doesn't have to sit out a year - but it's an interesting question.

If the aim is to stay in college one more year but in a program that teaches and plays more of an NBA style, which programs should he be looking at?

Kentucky?

Who else?

Last edited:
I get that to an extent, but getting drafted and stepping in and playing are very different. Acquiring and developing the talent is a dimension to every organization in the league now. They train for the next 2 years instead of a school and then hoping to be in position to acquire them then.

I'm not expecting him to go to a different college program - even if he doesn't have to sit out a year - but it's an interesting question.

If the aim is to stay in college one more year but in a program that teaches and plays more of an NBA style, which programs should he be looking at?

Kentucky?

Who else?
I don't think he will either WWJD but it is out there. I no longer watch the NBA but to say Kentucky is the only team that mimics that is kinda off base. UK this year reall doesn't mimic the NBA as much as the team we saw last night, Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, , NC State..........That kind of ball screen your turn, my turn basketball is AAU through College and into the NBA now. Still can't win at the highest level without Balance, but kids care less about winning with each generation.

The league all run variations of Pistol, which has dozens and dozens of options depending on how the defensive player reacts. Similar to RPO's in football.

Screen rolls, pick/pop, slides, ball reversal, and creating mis matches, etc. The biggest difference is everyone on the court can drain 25 footers at a good % while being contested in the league. The stars are deadly, and getting a favorable matchup with them through the action is gold.

College ball every team has guys you sit back and dare to take 15 to 18 foot uncontested shots. Many teams only have 1 or 2 guys that you even worry about as a scorer from distance. Many of them are then limited shot makers other then just spot up shooting.

The extreme different level of skill allows a "pack line" type congestion. You have to defend in space in the league.

Was I the only one that felt sick to my stomach after watching Carolina embarrassed at home. Marquette has some talent especially that freshman center Garcia but that should not have been the reason the Heels looked so bad last night. I feel bad for Coach Williams and his staff because the team is really under performing.

Was I the only one that felt sick to my stomach after watching Carolina embarrassed at home. Marquette has some talent especially that freshman center Garcia but that should not have been the reason the Heels looked so bad last night. I feel bad for Coach Williams and his staff because the team is really under performing.
Why feel bad for him? He's part of the team that's underperforming. Plus he's getting paid millions to do it.

I hear ya, but after that game I feel more mad than sad at Roy and his staff. Only a couple of these kids think they are OAD. They presumably want to learn. So why can't our coaches do better with them?

I and most of us have been making excuses for them all year. COVID, none of the usual summer experience, fewer practices, fewer games, etc., etc. But there are only 3 games left in the regular season.

Why are some programs doing great? Why aren't we one of them?

It will be interesting to see what the answers are, if we ever get answers.

Why feel bad for him? He's part of the team that's underperforming. Plus he's getting paid millions to do it.
Yeah... I'm the same way. I dunno what it is, but something is amiss. I guess it could be a lot of things-- a collective sorta thing. Over the last 3 seasons: Coby goes early, Cole & Co. was a disaster, Covid-19, patchwork season, lack of seasoned PG players. There are a lot of missing pieces needed for the typical "Roy WIlliams Team." I think Roy's loss of his FIL was an impact. It's hard to know for sure. When you look at the other "blue-bloods" that are struggling this season, it's obvious that UNC isn't the only one struggling. And, this season is kind of an "asterisk" season because of all of the Covid protocols and so forth.

Yeah... I'm the same way. I dunno what it is, but something is amiss. I guess it could be a lot of things-- a collective sorta thing. Over the last 3 seasons: Coby goes early, Cole & Co. was a disaster, Covid-19, patchwork season, lack of seasoned PG players. There are a lot of missing pieces needed for the typical "Roy WIlliams Team." I think Roy's loss of his FIL was an impact. It's hard to know for sure. When you look at the other "blue-bloods" that are struggling this season, it's obvious that UNC isn't the only one struggling. And, this season is kind of an "asterisk" season because of all of the Covid protocols and so forth.
All of those have certainly had an impact. Roy's lineups have been a little... let's say impactful as well. If we're talking about sad, it was sad to hear the announcers talk about how "impactful" our defensive philosophy is. But as a general rule of thumb, I don't feel sorry for people who get paid no matter how they perform.

IF... as Roy stated, that he called a play and the team on the floor ran a totally different play, then those guys need to get a butt-load of splinters on Saturday.

To be honest, I only casually observed the game, so I wasn't sure why Bacot only got 13 minutes. Was he in foul trouble (he only had 3)? Did he get hurt?

All of those have certainly had an impact. Roy's lineups have been a little... let's say impactful as well. If we're talking about sad, it was sad to hear the announcers talk about how "impactful" our defensive philosophy is. But as a general rule of thumb, I don't feel sorry for people who get paid no matter how they perform.
I feel sure that Roy Williams is more concerned about keeping UNC a competitive program than anyone else alive.

As I've said before; I'm not really that concerned about leaving 3-point shooters open. I'm more frustrated with turnovers. This team, and last year's, lacks the scoring capacity typical UNC teams have. And, that thread that showed the fast break gif against UL is a prime example. I'm not entirely convinced that Roy Williams is coaching them to NOT defend the three, either.

I don’t see how love is ready at all. Fixing his shot isn’t his only problem.

Side note he may be the happiest guy around but he looks like he just bit into a lemon all the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT