ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland game recruiting impact?

Ozheelfan

Hall of Famer
Dec 7, 2004
Just a feeling while I watched yesterday and while reading some of the articles today, does anyone else think/hope the Maryland game will mark a positive recruiting shift (at least until the NCAA pulls their fingers out of their XXXX)?

Think about it:
  • The Heels played good, winning ball with a generous sprinkling of WOW moments (Brice to Marcus to Brice!)
  • There was a platinum recording artist cheering the team on and he visited the locker rooms after (I am not big on J Cole but kids might be)
  • There were two current NBA Champions sitting at the end of the Carolina Bench... (read the Lucas article about how they scored high fives from Joel James during a bench celebration)
  • The place was PUMPING... either that or ESPN turned up the recording volume
I don't know if any recruits were in the house, but even watching on TV they had to be impressed.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and gary-7
Just a feeling while I watched yesterday and while reading some of the articles today, does anyone else think/hope the Maryland game will mark a positive recruiting shift (at least until the NCAA pulls their fingers out of their XXXX)?

Think about it:
  • The Heels played good, winning ball with a generous sprinkling of WOW moments (Brice to Marcus to Brice!)
  • There was a platinum recording artist cheering the team on and he visited the locker rooms after (I am not big on J Cole but kids might be)
  • There were two current NBA Champions sitting at the end of the Carolina Bench... (read the Lucas article about how they scored high fives from Joel James during a bench celebration)
  • The place was PUMPING... either that or ESPN turned up the recording volume
I don't know if any recruits were in the house, but even watching on TV they had to be impressed.
That was a big-time game with a big-time atmosphere. Nothing this season anywhere has come close.
In other words --- couldn't hurt.
Seriously, it's the type of game we just did not win last season and I will flat guarantee you that those two inexcusable losses to dook did almost as much damage as the NCAA garbage.

I agree with both of you! That and the addition of J Cole can't help but increase our appeal to this generation, especially since they have little use for history! I hope UNC continues to embrace J. Cole's fandom and doesn't bow to the the "oldtimers".

It's hard not to notice the difference between this team and last year as far as toughness, maturity, and heart. I can't see how recruits wouldn't want to be part of the joy these kids play with and the bond they obviously have!

It's hard not to notice the difference between this team and last year as far as toughness, maturity, and heart. I can't see how recruits wouldn't want to be part of the joy these kids play with and the bond they obviously have!
...add chemistry to that mix (no pun intended). May even be the biggest difference over last season.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I agree with both of you! That and the addition of J Cole can't help but increase our appeal to this generation, especially since they have little use for history! I hope UNC continues to embrace J. Cole's fandom and doesn't bow to the the "oldtimers".

At least it's not Drake.

Reactions: jah420
Like the other thread noted, Alkins attended both UNC and State's game. If its still a race betweem state and us, I'm liking our chances.

It was quite the experience in the dome Tuesday night. I was in the risers right beside our bench....closest I've ever been at a heels game. After any big play the interaction between big Joel, Harrison, and JMM was priceless. Dude is a clown to say the least. I didn't notice Rawle until later in the second half, he snuck in at some point. He looked like he was having a blast, smiles ear to ear with all the fan love he was getting. As for the J Cole sighting, Ive listened to J Cole for a while now and it is well known that he has been a Heel fan his whole life. It definitely is a shock and awe factor to have a celebrity that recruits can relate to, (and I think it can only help) but I don't see it as much more than him being a huge fan and wanting to support his Heels just like each and everyone of us. He is a fan just like we are. Wouldn't you want to use your resources to get courtside seats to the dome if you had that much pull? I know I would. I'd have season tix!!!

Reactions: gary-7
....... and I will flat guarantee you that those two inexcusable losses to dook did almost as much damage as the NCAA garbage.
Was thinking that too Gary. Don't want to jinx but recruiting would be boosted massively with a couple of big away wins in the triangle.

Was thinking that too Gary. Don't want to jinx but recruiting would be boosted massively with a couple of big away wins in the triangle.
If we would have pulled out that first game in Durham, that would have changed the equation right there.
That one unfortunately was on Roy.
From what I have seen thus far I don't think Roy plans to have a repeat of that performance.

Go ahead and bring Eric Church in too. He's a die hard Tar Heels fan. That's more my style but hey whatever works.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT