ADVERTISEMENT

Meanwhile, at Pittsbugh

Raising Heel

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2008
A van down by the river
Panthers have hired Michigan State defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi. Also got a somewhat interesting hire at OC, where Jim Chaney left the same position at Arkansas to join Pitt.

Narduzzi is obviously a great defensive mind. Will be interesting to see how he fares as the top dog. I watched a little of him on ESPN2 during the game Monday night, where he and other analysts were breaking down Xs and Os. Seems intelligent and engaging.

No idea what the Chaney move is about. The chart on this page makes it look like he favored a balanced offense while at Tennessee, so maybe he doesn't like the run-heavy mandate he was getting from Bielema? Of course I'd be shocked if Pitt became anything other than the run-heavy team they already are, so I'm just wildly speculating about his reasons for leaving.

The Panthers are indeed a "Sleeping Giant"....Hmmmm, where have I heard that before?

Seriously, Narduzzi will probably help with the recruiting in Western Pa, and Eastern Ohio since he's from that area, and the Panthers have had some very good defenders the last few years, and that defense could be getting even better with Narduzzi now on board?

As for Chaney, it is a strange move since the Hogs seem to be turning the corner, especially the way Arkansas played toward the end of the season?....Guess it could be nerve racking when your a coordinator in the "best football division" in College Football History at least that is what it was being called prior to the Bowl Season?

Would help the Coastal Division if Pitt could recapture even a fraction of their 70's form.

Would also help if they could get their own (smaller) on-campus stadium. I know this is a very heated issue for Pitt football fans, but from an outsider's perspective, it looks awful to have a very empty, very yellow Heinz Field at every Pitt game that doesn't involve Penn State, Notre Dame, or West Virginia (yes, I'm aware UNC has attendance struggles too. Not to Pitt's degree though).

Anyway, good luck to Pat Narduzzi. Ohio State's dominant playoff performance certainly doesn't make Pitt's job any easier since those two schools recruit in the same area.

Originally posted by Tigertown@Rick:

The Panthers are indeed a "Sleeping Giant"....Hmmmm, where have I heard that before?

Seriously, Narduzzi will probably help with the recruiting in Western Pa, and Eastern Ohio since he's from that area, and the Panthers have had some very good defenders the last few years, and that defense could be getting even better with Narduzzi now on board?

As for Chaney, it is a strange move since the Hogs seem to be turning the corner, especially the way Arkansas played toward the end of the season?....Guess it could be nerve racking when your a coordinator in the "best football division" in College Football History at least that is what it was being called prior to the Bowl Season?
I think RH gets at it: Chaney and Bielema did not see eye to eye. And Narduzzi as a 1st HC who is a DC will allow his OC almost total control over the specifics of the offense. At Pitt, Chaney inherits a GREAT large RB and a Great WR, and he will get to show his stuff as OC. If Pitt wins fairly big and the offense looks good, Chaney will be on lists for HC jobs and NFL OC jobs (he has several years NFL position coach experience).

Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:
Would help the Coastal Division if Pitt could recapture even a fraction of their 70's form.

Would also help if they could get their own (smaller) on-campus stadium. I know this is a very heated issue for Pitt football fans, but from an outsider's perspective, it looks awful to have a very empty, very yellow Heinz Field at every Pitt game that doesn't involve Penn State, Notre Dame, or West Virginia (yes, I'm aware UNC has attendance struggles too. Not to Pitt's degree though).

Anyway, good luck to Pat Narduzzi. Ohio State's dominant playoff performance certainly doesn't make Pitt's job any easier since those two schools recruit in the same area.
Pitt and Miami both need a stadium on campus or right beside campus seating 45-50,000. No more. They could fill such a stadium and have a good game atmosphere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT