ADVERTISEMENT

Miami does not look good

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
against a Wisconsin team that underachieved all season.

The Miami D has never gotten back to its peak of the first 2/3rds of 2017, and neither QB seems able to do anything.

Rubbing salt into the latter womb, they showed pictures of 6 classic Miami QBs earlier.

Both Fortin and Ruder are definitely better QBs than Perry. That's how bad off Miami is in the QB department. Both of our true freshmen from last fall are better, with much less practice time with the 1st and 2nd team units, than is N'Cosi Perry, who was supposed to be the Canes' QB revival.

Gerald Willis is sitting this one out. The center was academically ineligible, and the starting QB benched himself via the snapchat sexpose, but they looked horrible. Richt chokes again, uga feels validation again.

Last edited:
Reactions: franklin street
I'm no longer worried about Miami in terms of how UNC can compete with them. That program is a dumpster fire right now. To be 7-6 in Richt's third season is a major disappointment for them.

UF definitely has the brighest future of any of the top 3 schools in the state right now.

UF definitely has the brighest future of any of the top 3 schools in the state right now.
I wouldn't say that with kendal Briles at fsu and wt taking a more da o approach I think you see fsu head back up... Mullen will self destruct at uf the pressure of that fan base to be bama good is looney

I wouldn't say that with kendal Briles at fsu and wt taking a more da o approach I think you see fsu head back up... Mullen will self destruct at uf the pressure of that fan base to be bama good is looney

Yeah, they have Briles, but who's going to play QB? Francois, who isn't good to begin with is looking to transfer and Mack flipped Howell.

Yeah, they have Briles, but who's going to play QB? Francois, who isn't good to begin with is looking to transfer and Mack flipped Howell.
I'm telling you now fsu will look very different next yr... and honestly I watched a lot of Howell he has a good to above average... not great arm. He runs over people in high school he will end up like ruder doing that in college. Love our team but I really like taggart I think he gets FSU turned around. I think mack gets unc back to a top 10 team and I hope we have another judgement day game

Last edited:
Reactions: MWHeels
Wonder who Miami's next coach will be?
That is now the big question for ACC football.

I would bet a few bucks that behind the scenes a number of Miami boosters made it clear that they want a passing game.

So who would all of you not want to see at Miami?

The first name that comes to me is Mike Leach. He wanted the Miami job when Golden got it. Leach is the best coach ever at Texas Tech, and he is the only coach at Wazzou to win 11 games. He could hurt us badly at Miami.

A logistic fit, but don't see Cristoball taking it. Too good of a situation at Oregon. As for Diaz.....maybe. But don't like promoting off a team that isn't that good. Seems that Kiffen is lobbying behind the scenes with rumors of coaching jobs for previous Miami greats. Have even seen Rex Ryan's name floated this afternoon.

Butch Davis also mentioned, although I see them going with someone younger.

A logistic fit, but don't see Cristoball taking it. Too good of a situation at Oregon. As for Diaz.....maybe. But don't like promoting off a team that isn't that good. Seems that Kiffen is lobbying behind the scenes with rumors of coaching jobs for previous Miami greats. Have even seen Rex Ryan's name floated this afternoon.

I know Oregon is a good job, but wouldn't he have access to more elite players in Miami?

Reactions: franklin street
I know Oregon is a good job, but wouldn't he have access to more elite players in Miami?

Probably, but Miami isn't what it used to be. Huge buyout in Oregon, plus all that Nike money. Supposed #1 pick in the draft at QB coming back. Signed #1 recruit in country. Oregon is a better situation all around. Just a matter if he longs to get back to that area.

Reactions: MWHeels
There are reports saying him taking the Miami job is no sure thing. He loves Oregon.

I would be shocked if Leach goes there unless others decline first. Like us, they like to keep hires within the family. They went outside with Golden and it was a disaster. Leach is far better than Golden, but I still think they try to keep it in the family first.

Funny how some here were pining for Reich as our next coach and now he is trash. One thing for certain, the U is going to try and get them a coach to get them back to swag status.

Funny how some here were pining for Reich as our next coach and now he is trash. One thing for certain, the U is going to try and get them a coach to get them back to swag status.
We wanted Richt when we got Bunting. Richt peaked at UGA some years back.

What is truly great about Richt today is that he resigned. He did not have to be fired. He did not have a losing season, and he resigned because he knew he had not done what was needed.

Character.

It amazes me how schools like Miami and Southern Cal can have so much difficulty building teams that are consistently successful. They are programs with tradition, they have elite talent in their backyards, and they play in cities that would be considered "cool" by pretty much any kid between the ages of 18-22. A solid head coach is all it takes to win. What exactly is the problem?

And for Miami, they can still win without getting the "thugs" that used to go there. I heard an interview a couple of years ago where someone talked about Miami being the dream school for both Amari Cooper and Dalvin Cook, but Golden didn't want them despite both players basically asking for scholarships.

And for Miami, they can still win without getting the "thugs" that used to go there. I heard an interview a couple of years ago where someone talked about Miami being the dream school for both Amari Cooper and Dalvin Cook, but Golden didn't want them despite both players basically asking for scholarships.
Coaches can miss the obvious, just like journalists and fans. Coaches fail to offer players they should and offer players not worth the trouble. Coaches are loyal to assistants not worth it, and coaches reject assistants they should have hired. Coaches start players they shouldn't, and bench players who should have started, perhaps from day 1.

I agree, the OC hire will be critical for Manny's success at the U. I doubt they would keep their current offensive staff due to the team's struggles on offense.

Reactions: Uswagpak
I do wonder how long Richt has been thinking about retiring before next season. If Diaz had any idea this was coming, he probably wouldn't have accepted the Temple job without first going through the interview process at Miami.

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
I do wonder how long Richt has been thinking about retiring before next season. If Diaz had any idea this was coming, he probably wouldn't have accepted the Temple job without first going through the interview process at Miami.
Exactly. I think this would not have happened without that embarrassing bowl loss. That game led Richt to step down.

Here is the scary part for Canes fans: the last time they hired as new HC the DC of a 'failed' regime, they got Randy Shannon, who might as well have poured cement on the program's decline. Hiring Shannon after Coker was like UNC hiring Bunting after Torbush: it compounded the first bad hire, making true recovery at least twice as hard.

If Diaz is another dud, Miami could be stuck in a rut for 20 more years.

I don't think Diaz will lead the U back to the glory days. Not sure how he will handle the DC position either. I expect them to have similar (but a little better) results as us under Fed. Could have a really good year but also likely to have a couple of really bad ones too.

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
I don't think Diaz will lead the U back to the glory days. Not sure how he will handle the DC position either. I expect them to have similar (but a little better) results as us under Fed. Could have a really good year but also likely to have a couple of really bad ones too.

Maybe it's just me, but I think that Miami has already reached their pinnacle in the sport of football....They have been in the ACC for what 15 years, and have 1 ACC title appearance to show for it?

As soon as Diaz left for Temple, recruits started jumping ship at Miami....Will some of those prized recruits who didn't sign with a team during the early signing period, return to "the U" before the February signing day?

I also think that it's tough to gage what a Defensive Coordinator will do as the head man in this modern era of College Football where offense seems to rule the day, and read where Miami has hired Tee Martin as the new Offensive Coordinator?...Yeah, the same Tee Martin who was just fired from So Cal...

Both Diaz and Martin are said to be great recruiters, but does that equal a good team?

It will be interesting to see if Diaz can turn around a Miami football program that has now been stagnant for quite some time, and some of the glitter from those previous championships seem to have faded over time....

Miami is a great recruiting area, but the school is limited in terms of facilities, and will likely keep playing their home football games several miles from campus for the foreseeable future which certainly can't help recruiting in this day and age when kids want to be wowed by universities during their recruiting visits, and updated facilities are a big part of that?

The ACC Coastal is really up for grabs at the moment, and I hope that Carolina can get a foot hold with Mack back in the fold now...

As for Miami, I hope they continue to struggle!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT