ADVERTISEMENT

Michael Carter at Senior Bowl

I wish I could still give a damn about pro sports, but I simply don't. These days, once they leave UNC, I pretty much lose track of them, other than the occasional update here.

I agree with you about not having in interest in pro sports. I'm really only interested in UNC teams. I will only watch pro games that have UNC players. I'm in the Orlando Magic TV market now so I usually try to see how Cole is doing.

Reactions: heelfan1961
Senior Bowl carries a whole hell of a lot more weight considering you're there with scouts and other personnel of NFL clubs. What's best for you isn't always what's best for these athletes trying to make a career in the NFL.

Piss on him as far as I'm concerned and LOTS of other Heels fans he is dead to us.

He is a selfish prick!

He sat out of the bowl game, to get the media to talk about him for 2 weeks and show highlights of his last outing that just happened to be a career day. He done it under the means of not wanting to get injured. Then he plays in a game that means nothing. By Carolina having trouble running the ball when he wasn't playing makes him look even better!

Piss on him as far as I'm concerned and LOTS of other Heels fans he is dead to us.

He is a selfish prick!

He sat out of the bowl game, to get the media to talk about him for 2 weeks and show highlights of his last outing that just happened to be a career day. He done it under the means of not wanting to get injured. Then he plays in a game that means nothing. By Carolina having trouble running the ball when he wasn't playing makes him look even better!

Again, he attended a event that is nothing BUT important.

“Most every team sends all their coaches, front office and all components’ of player personnel as part of the week’s evaluation process,” stated Andy Dengler, Assistant Director of Player Personnel for the Jacksonville Jaguars. “It introduces our coaches to the players. We can thoroughly evaluate all positions and grade the players based off of their week of practice and the game itself.”

He is a selfish prick!

He would have gotten more respect from me if he would have been honest. Just come out and say, "it's better for me if my last game in a UNC uniform is my best game. I don't want to risk having my draft stock hurt by playing in a bowl game and looking bad. It's not about getting an injury, because I'm going to play in the senior bowl." If he would have said that, I would at least have some respect for him.

He would have gotten more respect from me if he would have been honest. Just come out and say, "it's better for me if my last game in a UNC uniform is my best game. I don't want to risk having my draft stock hurt by playing in a bowl game and looking bad. It's not about getting an injury, because I'm going to play in the senior bowl." If he would have said that, I would at least have some respect for him.

I agree 100%

College football and basketball are all about money now, like it or not. The obsession with money that ruined pro sports is now well on the way to ruining college sports, it was inevitable. More and more players will opt out of games going forward. Loyalty to university, teammates, etc..., everything is secondary to the almighty dollar.

It’s why I stopped watching pro sports and what is alienating me more and more from college sports. One day I’ll have had enough and just opt out of watching sports altogether. That time is getting near.

Last edited:
He doesn’t owe anyone anything. He’s looking out for HIS best interest, not anyone else’s. Kids do it every year, people out here acting like this UNC team was the first ever to not play in a bowl game.

He doesn’t owe anyone anything. He’s looking out for HIS best interest, not anyone else’s. Kids do it every year, people out here acting like this UNC team was the first ever to not play in a bowl game.
So why not admit that? Just say it's all about me. No need to talk about how you're all about your team and teammates. At least be honest and admit he's in it for himself.

So why not admit that? Just say it's all about me. No need to talk about how you're all about your team and teammates. At least be honest and admit he's in it for himself.

Probably because it’s obvious, or should be. He and everyone of the kids needs to do what is best for them, not fans. Senior Bowl is/was a big time event for kids wanting to improve their draft stock, and that’s exactly what he did. He doesn’t owe anything a apology or clarification, IMO.

Obviously he is not the first to sit out a bowl game, but if I were in his position I would feel that I owed my teammates and the university that offered a scholarship four years ago something. I agree he was looking out for his own interests which he had every right to do, but part of being on a team is putting the interest of the team ahead of your own.

Obviously he is not the first to sit out a bowl game, but if I were in his position I would feel that I owed my teammates and the university that offered a scholarship four years ago something. I agree he was looking out for his own interests which he had every right to do, but part of being on a team is putting the interest of the team ahead of your own.

I agree, the NFL teams know that if he will quit on his team for his own interest in college because he doesn't "owe" them anything he will quit on his team when he is making millions, does he "owe" that NFL team anything? Carolina paid up front for his scolly for services to be given at a later date per that contract, just like the NFL teams are paying him with cash for a contract for services to be redeemed later.

I don't have any issue with him baling on his team and not honoring his end of the deal, but those players show have to pay the school back for his breach of contract. He should also have his name removed for every thing that ties him to the school. Records stats everything!

Probably because it’s obvious, or should be. He and everyone of the kids needs to do what is best for them, not fans. Senior Bowl is/was a big time event for kids wanting to improve their draft stock, and that’s exactly what he did. He doesn’t owe anything a apology or clarification, IMO.
It wasn't obvious that he was picking and choosing about injuries. But I'm tired of talking about him to be honest. He's a great back and I wish him nothing but the best, but this will always be a stain on his legacy. He has every right not to care about that, just like I have every right to care about it.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
I agree, the NFL teams know that if he will quit on his team for his own interest in college because he doesn't "owe" them anything he will quit on his team when he is making millions, does he "owe" that NFL team anything? Carolina paid up front for his scolly for services to be given at a later date per that contract, just like the NFL teams are paying him with cash for a contract for services to be redeemed later.

I don't have any issue with him baling on his team and not honoring his end of the deal, but those players show have to pay the school back for his breach of contract. He should also have his name removed for every thing that ties him to the school. Records stats everything!
He won us some games. Should our record tally those as losses?

As for "contract", NFL knows that he's going to have a greedy shark for an Agent. They all do.

If there was an actual contract documented which breaks-down today's reality and circumstances between players and schools it would probably result in some type of organized revolt by players seeking something more fair, like the #WeAreUnited and #bigTenUnited stuff.

You'll need to take that up with the plethora of dudes that do it year in and year out and attend the Senior Bowl.

Mods can take this down if they want but below you will find multiple dudes that opted out of games that improved their draft stock.

Lots of people do it, but that doesn't change the fact that the "injuries" argument now holds less water for Carter and Chazz.

I guess you could say they're weighing injuries-in-orangebowl vs injuries-in-scoutbowl... but in either scenario an injury could really screw them given how little time there is tween now and the combine. Maybe they're considering the scoutbowl their combine this yr since covid might change on-campus tryouts?

Reactions: tarheel0910

He balled out for UNC and had to make the best decision for him and his future. Not the last time a kid does it.

Lots of people do it, but that doesn't change the fact that the "injuries" argument now holds less water for Carter and Chazz.

I guess you could say they're weighing injuries-in-orangebowl vs injuries-in-scoutbowl... but in either scenario an injury could really screw them given how little time there is tween now and the combine. Maybe they're considering the scoutbowl their combine this yr since covid might change on-campus tryouts?

Senior Bowl is much more important to NFL teams than a bowl game. He had a chance to practice, play and talk with clubs just a few months before the draft. Don’t get that in a bowl game.

It wasn't obvious that he was picking and choosing about injuries. But I'm tired of talking about him to be honest. He's a great back and I wish him nothing but the best, but this will always be a stain on his legacy. He has every right not to care about that, just like I have every right to care about it.

Worked out pretty well for him and set him up for a shot to get drafted in the second round of the NFL Draft.

Its not a stain, it’s his entire legacy. The only thing fans will remember about those guys is that they quit on the team and we lost the Orange Bowl because of it

Nobody gives a shit about blowing out Miami or being the Coastal division runner up. Ty Chandler has a chance to be much more of a Tar Heel than they’ll ever be, in my book anyways.

I still think the whole thing might have started with the Surratt family. Brother opted out as soon as he could get away with it, I’m sure the plan for Chazz was the same. Or maybe I just don’t like people who put those stupid “house divided” signs on everything.

• Haha
Reactions: ticket2ride04
Does every NFL team have a chance to work with, interview and evaluate the kids who play in the Sr Bowl? Or, is it just coaches from the 2 NFL staffs that coached the actual game? Honest question that I don’t know the answer to.

Does every NFL team have a chance to work with, interview and evaluate the kids who play in the Sr Bowl? Or, is it just coaches from the 2 NFL staffs that coached the actual game? Honest question that I don’t know the answer to.

Due to Covid, every NFL team could send up to 10 members of their organization to the Senior Bowl. With no combine, this was pretty much the only way to get in front of all these kids outside of the pro day's for each school.

Reactions: matt 1976
Yep and you better believe Mack felt the same way about those players and the OB but he can't say so but he does!

And you can bet the players/fans felt the same way when Mack left for a better opportunity for himself with Texas. Gotta look out for yourself and do what's best for you -- only get 1 life.

And you can bet the players/fans felt the same way when Mack left for a better opportunity for himself with Texas. Gotta look out for yourself and do what's best for you -- only get 1 life.

That's apples to oranges Mack left after the season and he would have coached the bowl game if they would have wanted him to. I wouldn't have had any with any of those players would have left before the season started. If Sam wants to sit out next year to avoid injuries that's okay. But if he plays all year and uses his teammates and coaches to improve his position them leave and don't finish what he started then he will be on the shit list too.

That's apples to oranges Mack left after the season and he would have coached the bowl game if they would have wanted him to. I wouldn't have had any with any of those players would have left before the season started. If Sam wants to sit out next year to avoid injuries that's okay. But if he plays all year and uses his teammates and coaches to improve his position them leave and don't finish what he started then he will be on the shit list too.

Cool. Point is, coaches/players and regular average folks do what is best for them every day. Michael made his decision and it's going to benefit him greatly.

Carter and the rest of those guys made the decision to quit on their teammates before their season was done. They put their desires/interests ahead of the team. Guess it was a good thing for Carter that Mack didn't think it was best for the future of UNC football to sit him after those 60 yard games against FSU, UVa and ND. Carter was in the position to have a choice because Mack didn't quit on him.

Carter and the rest of those guys made the decision to quit on their teammates before their season was done. They put their desires/interests ahead of the team. Guess it was a good thing for Carter that Mack didn't think it was best for the future of UNC football to sit him after those 60 yard games against FSU, UVa and ND. Carter was in the position to have a choice because Mack didn't quit on him.

Carter averaged 7.1 ypc against both UVA and ND, but yea, go off.

Carter averaged 7.1 ypc against both UVA and ND, but yea, go off.

Why do you constantly feel the need to come on here and defend them? They knew they’d be hated by fans and have a legacy of being quitters when they made this decision. Nothing you or anyone else says will change that. They’re quitters who abandoned their team before one of, if not the biggest game in program history.

I guess Javonte at least had some practice letting down the team with that dropped pass at FSU.

ADVERTISEMENT