ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Irby - RIP

Mike was a man of strong faith and loved him some Tar Heels....but make no mistake, it was in that order. Today he received the ultimate reward.

Sending thoughts, prayers and best wishes to his wife, his family and his many friends he's made here over the years. Since I started posting on Rivals back in late 2002, he's been the one constant on this board. A great man who will be missed.

RIP, Mike.

Mike has helped so many of us here with his uplifting messages as well as his personal story of never giving up which have helped a number of us as well pass through the storms of life. A gifted individual who could motivate people he never met.

He is finally free of disease and with the Lord. That puts a smile on my face but I will truly miss his guidance, motivation, wisdom, and love for all.

So very sorry to hear this. Prayers lifted up for Mike's family. Good guy who will definitely be missed on these boards.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Yes, it is a sad day for we, his friends here, so much more for his family. But Mike went thru a lot of pain over the last couple years and that pain is now relieved. As a man of faith, where Mike is now is a much better place. As I pray for his family and friends, I say to Mike, see ya later Mikey and we can complain about all those duke threads together!

RIP MIke, RIP my friend...

828.jpg

Whenever someone I admire or love dies from cancer, I am always reminded of Jim Valvano's great speech at the ESPY's just prior to his death. The following lines from that speech have been epitomized by our fellow friend and Tar Heel Mike Irby as he fought the good fight against cancer.

"It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul. And those three things are going to carry on forever."

I will remember Mike and hope to meet him in Heaven one day to talk about our beloved Heels. My sincerest condolences to his family and loved ones

R.I.P.

...didn't know if y'all have seen the announcement, but Mike has passed.
We've spoken on here over the years obviously and by email, but never met in person.
Still, I feel like I've lost a good friend.
I think we all have.
RIP, my brother.

Edit: I didn't see the sticky thread. Please move. @andrew jones @heelbent Thanks.
A "TRUE BLUE" TARHEEL! GOD BLESS HIS SOUL AND HIS FAMILY!

Reactions: gary-7
There is a thread pinned at the top for Mikey. Please put everything there. I think most can agree that we can put comments there for several weeks. Thanks in advance . Gonna see if I can get a Mod to combine the threads.

So, so saddened to hear this. Mike, in an email between us awhile back explained his plight to me and that he knew that his time was limited. I did, and still do, admire his courage staring death in the face. While I never knew Mike personally, I considered him as a acquaintance that I was comfortable enough with to reveal to him who I am. He kept his promise not to divulge my true identity, and that means a great deal to me personally.

I would like to offer my condolences to his family, he was of a certainty, a good man.

I, like Mike; Look forward to the time when no resident will say " I am sick and death is no more".

I think the following was Mikey's last post on March 14. An incredible man. He was doing his job and not bringing any attention to his illness on his last day on the board. Always kicking butt!

1. mikeirbyusaModerator

Exactly what is the link between this virus and all this dern panic buying? Toilet paper? Really??!!

Nice write up Gary, love all my health care folk, they have special hearts.

19 mikeirbyusa, Mar 14, 2020
    Like + Quote Reply
    TPFKAPFS, tarheel0910 and Archer2 like this.

Rip sir and prayers to his family, friends, and all of you on here who communicated with him regularly.

Rather it be Duke, Carolina, or whoever, the game of basketball brings so many people together. I enjoy reading everyone’s thoughts on here and learning about Carolina. Sorry everyone lost someone who contributed to that.

Mike's passing should be a lesson to all of us. We all knew he had severe medical problems for years but he was STILL HERE EVERYDAY keeping the board on a even keel. He loved his Heels in every sport and stayed positive regardless what kind of season those teams were having. He weeded out those who wanted only to be trolls and many of those knuckleheads faced the wrath of the Tombstone.
I will miss the fairness he gave posters regardless of what shade of blue they followed and the loyalty even to the end he had for his beloved Tar Heels. Thank you big man and may you rest in peace.

I send my prayers to Mike and his family, he will be missed. Mike was a Tar Heel through and through and had a way of making you appreciate being a Heels fan even more, but more importantly the blessings of life. Even during the tough season this year, Mike stayed true to who he was and was positive presence always reminding us that better days were ahead.

Like many of you I never met him, but one thing is for certain even though we never met Mike we all were impacted by him. He has left an imprint as we will always be thinking about and remembering Mike when we come on here. RIP my friend, heavens added a great one.

Just wanted to pass this along to the board...Mikey's grandsons went fishing yesterday after their PaPa passed. If you knew the man at all then you know that was exactly the perfect way to honor him. They caught a nice stringer of crappie.

I guarantee Mikey smiled.

Rest in peace, my brother. I hope God loves you half as much as I do.

I never met the man in person. But had many back and forth through this forum where we celebrated, agreed, disagreed, and agreed to disagree. Odd that a person I really never met leaves us and one feels like a close friend has passed. RIP Mike.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT