ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Irby - RIP

vet_color_ffffff.gif

Mr. Leon Michael “Mike” Irby, 71, of Flat Swamp Rd, Denton went to his Heavenly home on Wednesday, April 01, 2020 peacefully surrounded by family at his residence.

Mike was born August 13, 1948 in Abbeville, SC to Leon and Ruthel McKee Irby. He grew up in Brevard, NC and went on to serve in the United States Navy from 1968 to 1972 as an Aviation Electronics Technician. He was honorably discharged having obtained the rank of E3.

He was an active member of the National Rifle Association and Sons of the Confederacy. After many years of work he retired from United Brass Works. Mike was an avid fisherman and hunter. He had made Denton his home for the past 31 years and was pastor of True Worship Church in Denton for many years. He was preceded in death by his parents.

He is survived by his wife of 52 years, Fran Osborne Irby of the home; daughter, Sandy Lewis (Bill); son, David Irby (Rebecca) of Denton; 5 grandchildren, Dustin Rosenbaum (Emily), Ethan Amstutz, Ashley Amstutz, Joshua Irby, and Caleb Irby (Kendra); 1 great grandson, Caleb Irby, Jr.; sisters, Donna Irby of Abbeville, SC and Denise Russell of New Braunfels, TX; brother, Patrick Irby (Anna) of Thomasville.

A celebration of life service will be held at True Worship Church in Denton with Rev. David Coleman officiating at a later date due to the Covid-19.

In lieu of flowers a donation in memory of Mike can be made to True Worship Church.

Briggs Funeral Home in Denton is serving the Irby Family.

Online condolences may be made at www.briggsfuneralhome.com

This makes me quiet sad and to all the Tar Heel fans and basketball fans in general i wish to offer my condolences.You have lost a true Tar Heel Fan. Mike was a very nice man and I am deeply saddened by his loss. We just emailed one another a couple of months ago and he said he was doing ok but I knew better of course by the post I read from his sister. Mike and I had the same cancer as well as the same hematologist/Oconlogist at Duke but his was much more advanced than mine. RIP Mike.

vet_color_ffffff.gif

Mr. Leon Michael “Mike” Irby, 71, of Flat Swamp Rd, Denton went to his Heavenly home on Wednesday, April 01, 2020 peacefully surrounded by family at his residence.

Mike was born August 13, 1948 in Abbeville, SC to Leon and Ruthel McKee Irby. He grew up in Brevard, NC and went on to serve in the United States Navy from 1968 to 1972 as an Aviation Electronics Technician. He was honorably discharged having obtained the rank of E3.

He was an active member of the National Rifle Association and Sons of the Confederacy. After many years of work he retired from United Brass Works. Mike was an avid fisherman and hunter. He had made Denton his home for the past 31 years and was pastor of True Worship Church in Denton for many years. He was preceded in death by his parents.

He is survived by his wife of 52 years, Fran Osborne Irby of the home; daughter, Sandy Lewis (Bill); son, David Irby (Rebecca) of Denton; 5 grandchildren, Dustin Rosenbaum (Emily), Ethan Amstutz, Ashley Amstutz, Joshua Irby, and Caleb Irby (Kendra); 1 great grandson, Caleb Irby, Jr.; sisters, Donna Irby of Abbeville, SC and Denise Russell of New Braunfels, TX; brother, Patrick Irby (Anna) of Thomasville.

A celebration of life service will be held at True Worship Church in Denton with Rev. David Coleman officiating at a later date due to the Covid-19.

In lieu of flowers a donation in memory of Mike can be made to True Worship Church.

Briggs Funeral Home in Denton is serving the Irby Family.

Online condolences may be made at www.briggsfuneralhome.com

Arch, I'll post this over on the Premium board. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: TheGLOV and Archer2
Dang, I miss Mikey! Anyone know who started calling him Mikey? Yep, that would be me, kinda felt like I was messing with him when I tagged him with that. I mostly stopped calling him that when I learned about his health, felt like going back to calling him Mike was a bit more respectful. I never knew if my calling him that put a smile on his face or a frown, really hope it let him have a smile. Funny how a little thing like that you think about when you can no longer ask...

Reactions: TheGLOV and Archer2
Dang, I miss Mikey! Anyone know who started calling him Mikey? Yep, that would be me, kinda felt like I was messing with him when I tagged him with that. I mostly stopped calling him that when I learned about his health, felt like going back to calling him Mike was a bit more respectful. I never knew if my calling him that put a smile on his face or a frown, really hope it let him have a smile. Funny how a little thing like that you think about when you can no longer ask...

Yep, you started it.:) I have used Mikey exclusively after you first introduced it.

I have a completely different take on it. To me, calling him Mikey was more of a respect issue. The man was a "leader".

That Mikey commercial had a clear message. The older kids referred to Mikey to make a decision showing respect and amazement after he made that decision. Mikey was respected on several rival sites.

I developed a good relationship with Mikey outside the board. It was strictly an email relationship. Never talked to him over the phone. Despite this relationship off the board, he never treated me any different from any other poster on the board. In fact he almost banned me two times and was very critical of me several times on the board. The man was simply incredible.

Gonna miss George Bailey, and that's a gross understatement.

Reactions: TheGLOV
There’s a line from a country song that says: “It’s not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it’s what you leave behind you when you go.”

Mike left a legacy to be proud of and will be missed by all of those whose lives he touched.

3 Wooden Crosses .. by Randy Travis. Wish I had known Mike only lived less than 15 miles from me .. I would have loved to have met him in person. Rest in peace Mike.

WOW, definitely wasn't expecting to read that. I've interacted with Mike for many years under several different names and, he was always a class act. R.I.P. Mike!!

Reactions: Archer2
Man that stinks. Just now reading this. Thoughts and prayers to his family. What a wonderful life he lived on this earth before departing to his forever home.

Reactions: shun1 and heelbent
It has been a while since Ive looked at this board, which means that I just learned of Mike's passing. I assume that among his family and friends Mike was seen as a sound, calming, voice of decency, because that is how I saw him here. I think it perfect for those he left behind that he would pass on during Lent, when we are to prepare for loss, for pain and deprivation, that is necessary for resurrection.

Incline Thine ear, O Lord, to our prayers, in which we humbly entreat Thy mercy; bring to the country of peace and light the soul of Thy servant Mike Irby, which Thou hast summoned to go forth from this world, and bid him be numbered with Thy Saints. Through our Lord. Amen

All-

I know Mike outside of these forums and wanted to share that he passed away this morning. He fought a strong fight and lived a great life. He loved his Heels, wife (Fran), family, hunting and was a strong man of Faith. Great guy.

RIP Mike Irby

OMG! No!!!

I just saw this!

Oh no!!!

Mike, I will miss you & this board will miss you terribly.

My sincere condolences to his family and all those who knew him in whatever capacity it was.

Prayers offered.

:(

This just stinks.

It really does.

I will miss you Mike.

I am sure you are at the right hand of the Lord now.

My hands are shaking and tears fill my eyes.
Bob, I know my friend, it still haunts me, I knew it was not going to be long but MIkey was more concerned with others than he was for himself, he went thru what he did for his family and his friends.

What i do find some peace in is that Mikey truly loved this place, he LOVED his UNC brothers and in this place he found some reprieve from the pain he was living with. There are not a lot of people I have absolute respect for but men like MIkey and shun, yeah, total respect from me. Most folks that tell me to shut up, you know, they got a war on their hands from me but Mikey tell me to shut up and I shut up, same with my friend shun.

As the words from the song go, "I believe there are angels among us", those 2 men are angles among us and I still love Mikey, will always love Mikey, will always love my friend shun as well. It is crazy to, I have never had the pleasure of meeting either face to face but I love them.

I've spent time with both. They are both good men who have made my life better just by being in it. The courage Mikey and George have shown humbles me to my knees.
Jim, given your affinity for the wolf packers (you no I am joshing) I do hold you in that company of folks I do respect. Yeah man, I know what MIkey thought about you, YOU meant a LOT to MIkey, you were/are butt crazy but knowing how MIkey felt about you, was all I needed to know, like it or not, you will always be my friend! I only pray, in his last will, he left your the tomb stone power!

Say it with me man, "Oh no, not another dukie thread"! LOL

Jim, given your affinity for the wolf packers (you no I am joshing) I do hold you in that company of folks I do respect. Yeah man, I know what MIkey thought about you, YOU meant a LOT to MIkey, you were/are butt crazy but knowing how MIkey felt about you, was all I needed to know, like it or not, you will always be my friend! I only pray, in his last will, he left your the tomb stone power!

Say it with me man, "Oh no, not another dukie thread"! LOL

Yep, Mikey was one of a kind. Miss that man.

Heelbent told a story once on the board about something happening in Georgia years ago.

Bent, if you are listening, please consider telling the board that story again. I can't recall the exact details, but it gave me a lot of respect for Bent.

I've spent time with both. They are both good men who have made my life better just by being in it. The courage Mikey and George have shown humbles me to my knees.
I never met Mike but I feel like I have, does that sound crazy? Maybe, but I've read enough about Mike and George to know that I have the utmost respect for them and the manner in which their faith has allowed them to deal with health issues that would have crushed lesser men. If they can maintain an uplifting outlook in the midst of what they've been going through, I figure I should be able to myself. They both inspire me to appreciate every day above grass. I miss Mike and pray for George(shun1). You need people like that in your life.

I have always been a lurker here, but I was always very impressed with Mike. He was good to the core and his absence will leave a gaping hole in the heart of the Tarheel Nation. Mike, you and your family are in our prayers.

Bob, I know my friend, it still haunts me, I knew it was not going to be long but MIkey was more concerned with others than he was for himself, he went thru what he did for his family and his friends.

What i do find some peace in is that Mikey truly loved this place, he LOVED his UNC brothers and in this place he found some reprieve from the pain he was living with. There are not a lot of people I have absolute respect for but men like MIkey and shun, yeah, total respect from me. Most folks that tell me to shut up, you know, they got a war on their hands from me but Mikey tell me to shut up and I shut up, same with my friend shun.

As the words from the song go, "I believe there are angels among us", those 2 men are angles among us and I still love Mikey, will always love Mikey, will always love my friend shun as well. It is crazy to, I have never had the pleasure of meeting either face to face but I love them.

Indeed no truer words have ever been spoken.

He was a great God fearing yet humble man imo.

Many a time I strayed from the straight and narrow &(proper) and Mike let me know it.

Several times he sent me to the dog house.

With that in mind, he actually tried to help me find a position with his company was it? In Las Vegas in 2011 or around there I believe. (Even after all my board indiscretions).

I apologized on this very board and he let me back in having said: "Seems sincere enough". And that was THAT I was back in and I never strayed again.

I could not let him down you see! No way.

I tell ya man, this (his passing) just stinks. I want my God in heaven to take the habitual drug user, the robber, the swindler. Heck, call them home so to speak but not Mike.

I've said my piece.

Yep, Mikey was one of a kind. Miss that man.

Heelbent told a story once on the board about something happening in Georgia years ago.

Bent, if you are listening, please consider telling the board that story again. I can't recall the exact details, but it gave me a lot of respect for Bent.

@heelbent would love to hear this story if you are willing to share it again. I may have missed it when posted before. Thanks either way.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I'm not certain which memory Steat is referring to. I grew up in SoGa...and I've been here a long time, lol.

I hope maybe he will PM you and jog your memory. Any good stories about Mike Irby would be appreciated by most, if not all.

My maternal grandmother's people were from Georgia. I remember going to a HUGE family reunion down there when I was a kid. Good times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT