ADVERTISEMENT

Most improved UNC player of all time?

wagrub30

Hall of Famer
Nov 4, 2004
Who is the player you think improved the most from the start of his freshman season (or sophomore season going back to the days when freshmen weren't eligible for varsity competition)?

3 come to mind for me, including one who wound up playing in the NBA for quite a few years.

Easily Warren Martin. Maybe Tito. Hubert needed to mature, but he could always shoot.

Kevin Salvadori. You could see the potential. But as a freshman he was 7 feet tall, and well under 200 pounds. Only ranked about #300 in. high school. He backed up George Lynch and Eric Montross on the 1993 NCAA championship team

Hard to really gauge. Nowadays there is so much known about every prep player before he even steps foot on campus. Plus there was a time not too long ago that freshmen and to an extent sophs really contributing was the exception and not the rule.

In recent times probably have to go with Maye or maybe Isaiah Hicks who both went from seeing the court because of foul trouble to key contributors. Some other guys that jump out would include Dante Calabria, Hubert Davis, David Noel, Mike Pepper and Warren Martin.

You also have guys like Vince Carter who come in highly ranked but struggle as freshmen only to explode later (would love to see Caleb do this).

From since i've been watching us as a fan (1999 Freshman year) i'd say Maye, Reyshawn Terry, David Noel, Wes come to mind first for me in no particular order

Luke Maye is definitely one I would add to the 3 I was thinking of in the original post. Two of those 3 haven't been mentioned yet. They go back a few years. Definitely a lot of guys mentioned here that improved a lot over their careers. That was always a hallmark of Dean Smith coached players and it's good to see that it continues.

Reactions: Heels5150
Kennedy Meeks would be another one that should be up there among recent players for how he reshaped his body every year for four years.

Reactions: Heels5150
Luke Maye was a walk-on getting little to no minutes....to hitting one of the biggest shots in UNC history...and being an All-American the following year. Huge jump for him.

Easily Warren Martin. Maybe Tito. Hubert needed to mature, but he could always shoot.
Agree with Warren. He was a 7 foot uber nerd with no skills when he arrived. And he worked as har as possible to make himself a valuable player on a couple of deep teams

Jimmy Black, Steve Hale, George Lynch, Hubbert Davis, Danny Green, Joel Berry, many others but these off the top my head, Serge? Oh, I got a huge one, Bob McAdoo, he didn't score a single point for us his freshman season, and how about Kenny Williams? To many to name.

And yes, I know full well why McAdoo didn't score a single point for us his freshman season. LOL

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
ADVERTISEMENT