ADVERTISEMENT

My fear

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
Fedora is too arrogant to give a new DC the reins. He will demand that the new DC be his puppet and keep the whole D staff. And nobody proven is going to take that offer. So we will get a project as DC, which means Disch will remain co-DC in practice if not necessarily in name. And our D will get older and a little bigger, but play as erratically, as softly, as fundamentally unsound, as stupidly, as it has so far under Disch and Co.

And on the offensive end - Fedora's pride will keep us planted in the same rut: the QB runs the ball over and over, far and away leading the team in carries, which means there is really no reason to develop and use RBs, and our WRs also remain largely undeveloped, no better than they were as freshmen.

Originally posted by WoadBlue:
Fedora is too arrogant to give a new DC the reins. He will demand that the new DC be his puppet and keep the whole D staff. And nobody proven is going to take that offer. So we will get a project as DC, which means Disch will remain co-DC in practice if not necessarily in name. And our D will get older and a little bigger, but play as erratically, as softly, as fundamentally unsound, as stupidly, as it has so far under Disch and Co.

And on the offensive end - Fedora's pride will keep us planted in the same rut: the QB runs the ball over and over, far and away leading the team in carries, which means there is really no reason to develop and use RBs, and our WRs also remain largely undeveloped, no better than they were as freshmen.
your first point doesn't concern me. fedora is an offensive minded coach who never claimed to be an defensive genius, so there's a good chance the new dc will get a lot of autonomy. i'm pretty sure that's what he'll be promised in the hiring negotiations. we'll see... maybe you're right but i don't think fed's that stupid.

your second point is a major concern. carolina's offense is in a bad rut. we have a quarterback who thinks like a running back looking to scramble whenever possible. as you pointed out, it results in undeveloped rb's and wr's, plus team chemistry issues with the team leader showing a me-first attitude while skilled players go unused, a one dimensional predictable offense that's easy to prepare for, etc. etc. if we didn't have any talent at rb and wr it might be a necessary evil -- but it's not.

Originally posted by JimmyinVA:

your first point doesn't concern me. fedora is an offensive minded coach who never claimed to be an defensive genius, so there's a good chance the new dc will get a lot of autonomy. i'm pretty sure that's what he'll be promised in the hiring negotiations. we'll see... maybe you're right but i don't think fed's that stupid.

your second point is a major concern. carolina's offense is in a bad rut. we have a quarterback who thinks like a running back looking to scramble whenever possible. as you pointed out, it results in undeveloped rb's and wr's, plus team chemistry issues with the team leader showing a me-first attitude while skilled players go unused, a one dimensional predictable offense that's easy to prepare for, etc. etc. if we didn't have any talent at rb and wr it might be a necessary evil -- but it's not.
Here is what I now wonder about the offense: what are we missing from last year and the year before, which is the same thing Fedora had on offense at Southern Miss? Blake Anerson.

With Blake Anderson as OC, Fedora's offense looked sharp, original, unpredictable, varied. This year, it was all QB runs all the time. When DCs finally figured out that without Anderson we were limited, severely, they bottled up our 1 dimensional offense and made it look as lousy as our D looked all year.

As for the D - Fedora has claimed that Disch coming to USM turned the Do totally around and made the team the CUSA champ. Fedora has been 100% loyal to that memory. If that loyalty to Disch and the system he prefers, which may be the only one he can try to coach, continues, our D will continue to flounder and worse.

I think our offensive line killed us this year. It was hard for us to attack the defense down the field because our offensive line didn't give Quise enough time. If our offensive and defensive line can improve a lot we should be a much better team next year.

Originally posted by BalboaUNC:
I think our offensive line killed us this year. It was hard for us to attack the defense down the field because our offensive line didn't give Quise enough time. If our offensive and defensive line can improve a lot we should be a much better team next year.
Wiliams missed all kinds of open receivers over the year. And that means both bad passes and, even more often, failure to see the open receiver.

The OL when fully healthy was more than adequate to provide time to pass. Williams is simply never going to be that QB. He is a backyard QB, who is easily at his best when running and passing onl;y when Ds converge to stop him running.

Wiliams missed all kinds of open receivers over the year. And that means both bad passes and, even more often, failure to see the open receiver.

The OL when fully healthy was more than adequate to provide time to pass. Williams is simply never going to be that QB. He is a backyard QB, who is easily at his best when running and passing onl;y when Ds converge to stop him running.
Absolutely brilliant, a QB being talked about as a darkhorse for the Heisman, but isn't good enough for woad. You seriously can't make this ignorant shit up.
roll.r191677.gif

Originally posted by UNC_Blue:

Absolutely brilliant, a QB being talked about as a darkhorse for the Heisman, but isn't good enough for woad. You seriously can't make this ignorant shit up.
roll.r191677.gif
Yep, tthose Heisman stat games versus MooU and Rutgirls were the most impressive in UNC QB history.

Williams is a 1 Trick Pony as a QB: running the ball from a deep snap. That made our offense this year 1 dimensional.

As for talk about Williams and Heisman - many of the same people talked up Jacory Harris for the Heisman.

roll.r191677.gif
Yep, tthose Heisman stat games versus MooU and Rutgirls were the most impressive in UNC QB history.

Williams is a 1 Trick Pony as a QB: running the ball from a deep snap. That made our offense this year 1 dimensional.

As for talk about Williams and Heisman - many of the same people talked up Jacory Harris for the Heisman.
Woad, I do love you, and I respect your opinion on most things. But you have some kind of grudge against Williams that is unreasoning. I really don't get it. Is he perfect? Not even... but he threw for 3K yards, 63% completion %, 21 TD vs 9 ints, and ran for like 800 yds and 13 TDs...

It is beyond ignorant to say that "isn't good enough" and want him benched.

The "one dimensional" is from our O-line not blocking for shit.

Logan and Hood against Rutgers 24-172 , 7.1 yards a carry. The offensive line when healthy is plenty good enough to open holes.

roll.r191677.gif

Woad, I do love you, and I respect your opinion on most things. But you have some kind of grudge against Williams that is unreasoning. I really don't get it. Is he perfect? Not even... but he threw for 3K yards, 63% completion %, 21 TD vs 9 ints, and ran for like 800 yds and 13 TDs...

It is beyond ignorant to say that "isn't good enough" and want him benched.

I think you and a few others would make a case for a healthy offense if Williams ran the ball 90% of our carries.

The stats mean little in terms of what I am saying, save that they disprove your notion that our OL has been awful. It was young, and when injuries hit this year, it clearly had big holes (especially obvious when Crowley went down, but Cohen showed that he is the real deal).

As this is UNC, perhaps you need to get a basketball version in your mind. You can have a high scoring offense in which 1 player is scroing 35 per game and taking half the team's shots. The team's offense can seem wonderful any time it faces teams with poor D or that simply know that because we are 1 dimensional on offense, they can outscore us. That 35 PPG player may even make All-ACC 1st team because of his stats, but if the team fails to develop a well rounded offense, it cannot progress, it cannot win big games versus top teams. That 1 man is too easy to stop anytime a team with some talent on D wishes to stop him and is willing to send 2 men all the time to do it.

Now, if that hoops team has nobody else who can score, because the team is filled with brick-tossers, then perhsp its best bet is the 1 man shooting show. But even so, the team can never get over the hump against good teams until it finds a legit 2nd and 3rd scorer, using both, developing both, producing a much more balanced offense, which necessarily means that the 35 PPG man must shoot less. Say, his % of shots on the team goes down from 50% to 30%.

Our 1 dimensional offense is due to 2 things: many called QB runs, as many as called RBs runs, and Wiliams failing to make reads in the passing game and taking off.

He has gotten passes on the latter all season, but in the bowl the announcers noted several times how Williams missed seeing open receivers. Williams does not routinely stay in the pocket and make reads, and make them successfully, because his natural instncts are to tuck the ball and run. He is a nautral backyard QB - every play is about him running if he can make it so.

As I said going into last year, Williams is in many ways our best RB. He is a powerful and skilled between the tackles runner with very good balance. Every one of his instncts tells him to use those skills at the first sign of possible trouble on a passing play.

The coaches know what Williams can do at QB. They know that his super skill is between the tackles running. Playing Williams and not maximizing his great skill would be silly at best. But the inevitable result of maximizing Williams great skill is tat we must become a 1 dimensioanl offense in which the QB carries the ball far more than any RB (which means none of our RBs get the reps they require) and that the WRs don;t get the catches they could get because Williams many times misses seeing them and at others simply lacks the touch to complete the pass to an open receiver.

And that means that both our deep and talented RB and WR corps are under-developed and under-utilized.

Back to basketball - the '80-82 UGA teams were led by super talent Dominque Wilkins. He was a 1 Man Show who simply could score on anybody at any time. On the offensive court, UGA was 1 Dimesional: get it to the human highlight reel.

Wilkins went to the NBA a year early, and casual fans assumed that UGA hoops would go from medioce to lousy without him. But UGA in '83 beat us in the East Regional Final and made the Final Four. Minus Wilkins, the UGA offfense became multi-dimensional, with everybody taking a part, and it became much harder to stop, especailly in key games and at key possessions.

If we did not have Logan or Hood, I would say that we are so thin and weak at RB that maybe Williams carrying the ball far more than any RB is necessary. But we all have seen that even Brunson has real potential. If we did not have Davis, Switzer, Hollins, and Howard, we could conclude that our WRs are too weak and too thin to worry about a passing game beyond Williams pulling it down and running any time he could not see a WIDE open receiver. But we have seen even true frosh Proehl prove he can get open often and make catches in traffic.

And with all that potential, our offense relies on Williams running over and over.

Our OL performed well against dook and that is the only times I can remember.

Only Woad could get in his head that a QB being able to run makes him one dimensional. His running ability is what makes him TWO DIMENSIONAL. Is he going to throw the ball like peyton manning? Absolutely not. But I can remember a lot of times when there was nobody open and Quise picked up a first down or even TD's with his legs. There's a reason we were so good in the red zone this year, and its because of him.

Any fault should be with the playcalling. Not quise, that man has given everything to this team and played his @$$ off. He's our best player no question. I will however agree that we need to give the ball to Logan and Hood more, but that isn't Marquise's fault

A specific fear I have regarding DC -

Fedroa will expand from his ties to coaches on the D side to the ties his assistants have to coaches on the D side. And that will lead him to Mike Stoops. OU fans want to lynch Mike Stoops, which means Bob may want to pawn him off on somebody. Seth Littrell coached under Mike Stoops at Arizona.

Venables left OU for Clemson after Bob rehired his brother (fired as UofA HC) and named him co-DC. And the OU D has gone downhill, while Clemson's has skyrocketed up.

Originally posted by uncboy10:
Only Woad could get in his head that a QB being able to run makes him one dimensional. His running ability is what makes him TWO DIMENSIONAL...I will however agree that we need to give the ball to Logan and Hood more, but that isn't Marquise's fault
he didn't say Marquise is one dimensional, he said the offense has been one dimensional and i agree. marquise may be our best player, but he is very quick to turn most plays into a quartback run, which made our offense very predictable this year. who's at fault isn't the point -- everything is the head coach's fault in my view. but any team whose top rusher is the quarterback has a problem. if carolina had no talent at wr and rb it might be necessary, but we do and it isn't.

A specific fear I have regarding DC -
My fear about the DC hire, is we hire a middling DC. Someone just good enough to somewhat improve our D. But not good enough to greatly improve the D, settle the fan base, or excite recruits. Just someone good enough to help us muddle to a 6-7 win season next year, and watch recruiting drop off as we go deeper into a Bunting spiral.

Mind you, all signs point to this being the hire we will have to make. Which is scary, we need 9+ wins next year, or we need ( for the program ) a losing season to force a change. 6-7 wins is the nightmare scenario, that would let us flounder around for a couple of years, losing recruits and turning off fans... handing over even more of NC to state.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT