ADVERTISEMENT

My first call for a possible Fedora replacement goes to...

keysersosay#1

Hall of Famer
Apr 7, 2006
The head coach of Navy...Ken Niumatalolo.

I live in the DC area and as such have close access and lots of info On navy and its team.

This guy is OUTSTANDING. His 11 year record at Navy is 84 wins and 48 losses he has been to Nine bowls and has a 5-4 record.

He has weight and height restrictions from the Naval academy on the size of his players and the most rigorous academic standards in America that MUST be followed...all he does is WIN and his players absolutely love him and love to play for him. His integrity is beyond question

he had been rumored to get both the Arizona job and the BYU job( he is Mormon)...he turned them both down and is reported to make just under $2 million/year.

He knows the Mid Atlantic area very well and would be a natural from a recruiting standpoint.

I would LOVE to have him coach at Carolina and he would be my first call.

Reactions: MWHeels
I think he is a good coach, but I would only want him if he is only running that triple option because he is at a place like the Naval Academy. Don't really care for UNC to become Georgia Tech north. Johnson has had his moments. Moments better than UNC's recent history for sure. But that style of offense is only going to take you so far at this level.

Reactions: Archer2
I like him a great deal, but not for UNC. Here is the main football reason: not only does a run-based triple option offense rather severely limit recruiting possibilities, but it works best against teams with at least as much overall talent when it is rarely faced. GT is in the ACC Coastal. If we also played that offense, the entire Coastal would find it very easy to prepare for us.

I also think that fans today being what they are, UNC running an option offense would find it very hard to sell tickets anytime we are less than a 10 win team.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I understand the concerns about the triple option...but coaches adapt and can actually GASP!!! CHANGE their systems. he is running this because he is at a service academy that restricts the types and sizes of athletes he can recruit. That would not be the case at Carolina.

I understand the concerns about the triple option...but coaches adapt and can actually GASP!!! CHANGE their systems. he is running this because he is at a service academy that restricts the types and sizes of athletes he can recruit. That would not be the case at Carolina.
You mean like Paul Johnson changed his system after leaving navy? Even if that's the case, how would you evaluate a guy who changes the system he's always run before he even runs it? And with the exception of two years his record has been average at best. Either most of our fans have just given up on UNC football or they don't understand how college football works.

I'm in the minority because I enjoy watching Georgia Tech run their triple option. But, I don't think I'd actually want to pick that route for a new coach. I've said I would switch places with our program and Paul Johnson's, but I don't want two of them in the same division.

Ever heard of offensive coordinators??/You can actually HIRE someone to run your offense. it can be as fast as fedoras if he wants it... It is HIS baby and he can do it His way. Head Coaches do that all the time and act as a CEO or spend more time focusing on defense, an area that Carolina needs massive help in. Since some on this board seem to know everything and someone like me who has been following Carolina football since 1973 knows next to nothing, I will defer to those whose brilliance knows no limit.

Reactions: ncjeff
Larry Fedora is Exhibit A for coaches NOT changing.

I don't think an AD would be responsible in hiring Niumatalolo saying he intends to run an offense he's never run before. He might flop badly running any other offense.

I don't think an AD would be responsible in hiring Niumatalolo saying he intends to run an offense he's never run before. He might flop badly running any other offense.
Yep. You would be hiring someone on blind faith. You can't say you want to hire someone based on what they have achieved and in the same breath say they will change everything they've ever done and know they can still have success without anything to go by.

Ever heard of offensive coordinators??/You can actually HIRE someone to run your offense. head Coaches do that all the time and act as a CEO or spend more time focusing on defense, an area that Carolina needs massive help in. Since some on this board seem to know everything and someone like me who has been following Carolina football since 1973 knows next to nothing, I will defer to those whose brilliance knows no limit.
There are HCs who can and will do that: hire an OC to make a total change in the offense. Niumatalolo may be that kind of coach, but if he has never done it, we have no idea if he is able to pul it off.

An interesting way to think about if for Niumatalolo is: what if he were to decide that he as an Hawaiian could recruit the now top passing QBs from Hawaii? He might pull it off, but until he tries at Navy, we have no reason to assume that he can make that change and be a successful HC.

God EVERY body runs a spread nowadays. You can find young fast smart coaches all over the place. They grow on trees and would jump at the chance to turn Carolina into a juggernaut offensively if given the keys to the car. Coach Ken is no dummy and I would bet he would hire a dynamic talented young coach that would really make Carolina fans thrilled to go to games and see WINNING football at Kenan.

I'm in the minority because I enjoy watching Georgia Tech run their triple option. But, I don't think I'd actually want to pick that route for a new coach. I've said I would switch places with our program and Paul Johnson's, but I don't want two of them in the same division.
Like you said, you're in the minority. And that is an issue with hiring someone like him. The fan base needs a shot of energy. The navy coach wouldn't get the fan base excited. There is no reason to think a good OC would just come on board to run an offense under a coach that has never run anything remotely close to a normal offense. There is also the issue of getting top notch recruits or at the very least the type we get now. If you think moo is out recruiting us now, just wait until we run a triple option or hire a coach who just changes everything he's ever done. Making this guy our first call is just asinine.

Reactions: Deezheelz
I guess my attitude about this is that IF he were to come here, I as AD and looking at the need to appeal to a non triple option attack as a way to draw fans etc. I would want that VERY first question in an interview to be about offensive strategy and the potential need to hire a guy who would direct this fast spread that seems to be the dominant force in college football today.

My hunch and it is only that here is that this guy is savvy enough and sharp enough to get that type of coach to run an offense that would appeal to recruits and fans alike. Focus on the d and recruiting and let Coach fast and furious draw up game plans that will sizzle...but if he plans on sticking with the triple option then the interview would be a short one.

I will also point out that he WAS a candidate at both BYU and Arizona ...a PRIME one too But HE turned them down Why?? really do not know but both of those schools would want him to run a fast offense ….BYU is QB bombs away and has been forever. I would at least like to talk with this guy....he is a very good coach and he does it with not the greatest physical talent.

I guess my attitude about this is that IF he were to come here, I as AD and looking at the need to appeal to a non triple option attack as a way to draw fans etc. I would want that VERY first question in an interview to be about offensive strategy and the potential need to hire a guy who would direct this fast spread that seems to be the dominant force in college football today.

My hunch and it is only that here is that this guy is savvy enough and sharp enough to get that type of coach to run an offense that would appeal to recruits and fans alike. Focus on the d and recruiting and let Coach fast and furious draw up game plans that will sizzle...but if he plans on sticking with the triple option then the interview would be a short one.
So you want to hire him on blind faith instead of his resume now?

I will also point out that he WAS a candidate at both BYU and Arizona ...a PRIME one too But HE turned them down
He didn't turn down AZ. AZ backed off because their QB created a twitter account just to say the school shouldn't hire him.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-tweet-triple-option-influenced-coaching-hire

Last edited:
I think Butch had the right formula...pro schemes, former pro coaches and market the program as a path to the pros. If those guys had not started acted like they were already there, we'd be in a different spot for sure. I can't really think of anyone with that kind of experience other than Kiffin, Saban or Pete Carroll. We ain't getting them so really no idea who you call but hopefully get on it sooner rather than later.

I've NEVER been on the Fed wagon. I hated the hire and thought his speech about not getting up because you'll miss another Carolina touchdown was such bullsh!t. He's a snake oil salesman and why no one could see it earlier is puzzling to me.

and why's he gotta be such a prick in dealing with the press, etc.?

Reactions: plm
My choice would be Mike Houston from James Madison....Yeah, I know it's a small school, but this guy has won at every level....He took T. C. Roberson to the North Carolina High School 4A Western Regional Final a few years ago....T.C. Roberson?..... Coach Houston then took the Lenoir Rhyne job, and two years later they were in the NAIA Finals....He then took the Citadel job, and promptly beat South Carolina at Williams Brice Stadium, while leading the cadets to a very good record both years he was there....He then took the James Madison job two years ago, and his teams have played for the last 2 FCS championships winning one of those two years ago when they traveled to the Thunder Dome and beat North Dakota State who had won the last 4 or 5 FCS national titles....And this year's team just got through giving NC State all they wanted a couple weeks ago in Raleigh....I'm telling you: This guy is a winner, pure and simple!

Maybe, but how many of your other 9 candidates would want the job?....Houston would take it, and he would win at Carolina as he has done every where else.....
I would take it as well. Doesn't mean I would be a good choice. And to say he would win at UNC just because he's won in high school and division two is nuts.

This next hire needs to be a big splash or else plenty of fans will just say GFY and forget about the program for good.

The coach at Navy running a triple option is the opposite of a big splash.

So then who would those who seem to shoot every idea down choose???? Can we get the possible choice/choices of those who walk on water???

I think Butch had the right formula...pro schemes, former pro coaches and market the program as a path to the pros. If those guys had not started acted like they were already there, we'd be in a different spot for sure. I can't really think of anyone with that kind of experience other than Kiffin, Saban or Pete Carroll. We ain't getting them so really no idea who you call but hopefully get on it sooner rather than later.

I've NEVER been on the Fed wagon. I hated the hire and thought his speech about not getting up because you'll miss another Carolina touchdown was such bullsh!t. He's a snake oil salesman and why no one could see it earlier is puzzling to me.

and why's he gotta be such a prick in dealing with the press, etc.?
I thought it was a good hire, but not great. Malzahn would have been the great hire at the time.

That speech about a TD that often was cheesy, and looking back I see it much as you do.

It seems to be it ought to be obvious to all that Fedora has lost whatever chance he had to make the program a consistent winner. But Bunting had his defenders and excusers not merely until he was fired, but afterwards.

So then who would those who seem to shoot every idea down choose???? Can we get the possible choice/choices of those who walk on water???
I don't walk on water, but I'll answer anyway. Our first call should be someone with some experience at the P5 level that doesn't run the triple option. As far as coaches that we could realistically get (meaning they would come and we could afford them), I would take Kiffin. He would check all of the right boxes and not just on field production. If there is no one that has any experience at the P5 level (even as a position coach), then we could start looking for people who don't know anything about the P5 level and just hope that they can adjust on the fly.

This next hire needs to be a big splash or else plenty of fans will just say GFY and forget about the program for good.

The coach at Navy running a triple option is the opposite of a big splash.
However we may not like that, it is true. How do we know? Well, Butch was a true splash hire, and ticket sales took off. Our attendance has never recovered since the attacks on Butch began in earnest. An 11 win team did not reverse the pattern.

Coaches are the stars of college sports. And UNC fans are used to big stars as Hoops coaches and so will never get really pumped up about a football team led by someone who is not a star.

Our great problem is that more than a few people with major power at UNC do not want a true star for UNC football. They want to have winning teams, because even .500 football teams in a Power conference pay the bills for several non-revenue sports. But they do not wants teams that win big more than once per decade, and especially not teams that win BIG with a star as HC.

I don't walk on water, but I'll answer anyway. Our first call should be someone with some experience at the P5 level that doesn't run the triple option. As far as coaches that we could realistically get (meaning they would come and we could afford them), I would take Kiffin. He would check all of the right boxes and not just on field production. If there is no one that has any experience at the P5 level (even as a position coach), then we could start looking for people who don't know anything about the P5 level and just hope that they can adjust on the fly.
I don't think any P5 HC we would want would come to UNC. But there are P5 coordinators who are, and or at least should be, ready to win as P5 HCs. And UNC is not Indiana or Kansas, so our job should interest nearly all of that group.

I'd be very happy with Venables. And in some ways UNC would be ideal for him with his Clemson experience. But I do not know if he would demand so much money that UNC would pass.

Lane Kiffin has already taken less money to get back into being HC. And he has P5 experience as both OC and HC.

Time to swing for the fences.

However we may not like that, it is true. How do we know? Well, Butch was a true splash hire, and ticket sales took off. Our attendance has never recovered since the attacks on Butch began in earnest. An 11 win team did not reverse the pattern.

Coaches are the stars of college sports. And UNC fans are used to big stars as Hoops coaches and so will never get really pumped up about a football team led by someone who is not a star.

Our great problem is that more than a few people with major power at UNC do not want a true star for UNC football. They want to have winning teams, because even .500 football teams in a Power conference pay the bills for several non-revenue sports. But they do not wants teams that win big more than once per decade, and especially not teams that win BIG with a star as HC.
Speaking of Butch, I'd take him back too. I know that wouldn't happen for many reasons, but I would love it if it were an option.

My choice would be Mike Houston from James Madison....Yeah, I know it's a small school, but this guy has won at every level....He took T. C. Roberson to the North Carolina High School 4A Western Regional Final a few years ago....T.C. Roberson?..... Coach Houston then took the Lenoir Rhyne job, and two years later they were in the NAIA Finals....He then took the Citadel job, and promptly beat South Carolina at Williams Brice Stadium, while leading the cadets to a very good record both years he was there....He then took the James Madison job two years ago, and his teams have played for the last 2 FCS championships winning one of those two years ago when they traveled to the Thunder Dome and beat North Dakota State who had won the last 4 or 5 FCS national titles....And this year's team just got through giving NC State all they wanted a couple weeks ago in Raleigh....I'm telling you: This guy is a winner, pure and simple!

I could live with Houston. Heck of a coach. Probably better than 95% of the ones they would consider. And he would do an excellent job. But doubt he would get it as they probably want to hire someone with a more familiar name that might draw interest and sell a few more tickets. I can just see them doing something stupid like dragging Charlie Strong in thinking because he is black that he would be able to attract all the black athletes in the region. Or I could see them hiring Venebles because he is associated with Clemson who has so much talent that he can't screw up that defense. Heck, bring Butch back. Go across the highway and hire Cutcliffe.

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
And he would do an excellent job.
What makes you think that? He has no experience at a P5 level or even a D1 level. There is nothing in his history to suggest it's a foregone conclusion that he would win. Fedora won before he came here. Apparently winning at a lower level doesn't mean you will win everywhere. Hiring a football coach is one of the hardest and riskiest things to do. You can mitigate some of that risk by hiring someone who is familiar with how the job works on a P5 level so they don't have to learn it on the fly. Houston might end up being a great coach, but he should never be our first call.

Between the HC, OC and DC we really need at least 1 if not 2 of those filled with guys who have been associated with successful P5 programs (meaning they are in the top 25 more often than not). Doesn't have to be the HC but probably best case - not sure we could get a HC matching that criteria. More than anything we are missing a true program manager in our coaching staff - which is usually the HC.

I like the App St and JMU coaches, and wouldn't be opposed to either of them if we go that direction. But - I think it's easier to get your team up for 1 or 2 games a year against bigger competition than it is to get them up for 10 or 11 of those games. I think either of those guys would benefit from a good support system to make their P5 transition smoother. I think Fed would have benefited from the same thing - but the coach has to be open to it.

What makes you think that? He has no experience at a P5 level or even a D1 level. There is nothing in his history to suggest it's a foregone conclusion that he would win. Fedora won before he came here. Apparently winning at a lower level doesn't mean you will win everywhere. Hiring a football coach is one of the hardest and riskiest things to do. You can mitigate some of that risk by hiring someone who is familiar with how the job works on a P5 level so they don't have to learn it on the fly. Houston might end up being a great coach, but he should never be our first call.

Have you ever watched Houston's teams play at any level? Obviously not. He beat people to sleep at LR. Anybody who can win at the Citadel can just flat coach as they never have equal talent to the rest of the folks in the SoCon. And has gone deep in the playoffs at JMU. Would be an excellent hire. But like I said, he probably isn't known well enough to generate the splash they may look to make.

As for Fedora.....you bet he is a known commodity, and that is why he should have been fired last year, but certainly now. He is doing the exact same thing at UNC that he did at So Miss. He was fine as long as he had the previous regimes players on the roster. UNC bailed him our with a job offer before it caught up with him at So Miss where he left the cupboard absolutely void of talent. So bad that the program still hasn't recovered. Only difference this time is that none of those jobs he was chasing a couple of years ago materialized. This time he is going to have to reap the rewards of his labor.

Have you ever watched Houston's teams play at any level? Obviously not. He beat people to sleep at LR. Anybody who can win at the Citadel can just flat coach as they never have equal talent to the rest of the folks in the SoCon. And has gone deep in the playoffs at JMU. Would be an excellent hire. But like I said, he probably isn't known well enough to generate the splash they may look to make.
So your answer as to why he can win at a level he has no experience at is because he won at a lower level? That doesn't make much sense as to why he would be a lock to win here. Why should we not look at people with experience first?

At Southern Miss, Fedora won 7, 7, 8, and then 12. He inherited a program that had had 14 consecutive winning seasons - 6 of those teams had at least 8 wins. So he had 1 season that was excellent by the USM standards then - the program died the year after Fedora left and has never fully recovered.

I think Houston would not be a viable candidate because people would say he is the next Mike London.

So your answer as to why he can win at a level he has no experience at is because he won at a lower level? That doesn't make much sense as to why he would be a lock to win here. Why should we not look at people with experience first?

Based on your reply: There would have never been ANY chance that Dabo Swinney would have been hired at Clemson with NO Head Coaching experience prior to becoming the Head Tiger.....

Your reply makes NO sense what so ever because every body has got to prove themselves somewhere before they move up to the next level....Head Coaches are not born....They are developed, and Houston's resume should be what people look at, and his resume says winner at High School, NAIA and FCS....His next stop is an FBS school, so why not UNC....

UNC needs a program builder, and Houston has proved that he is that type of Coach!

Based on your reply: There would have never been ANY chance that Dabo Swinney would have been hired at Clemson with NO Head Coaching experience prior to becoming the Head Tiger.....
Read my posts again. I said experience, it doesn't have to be as a head coach. He had multiple years of P5 experience. That's a horrible comparison.

UNC needs a program builder, and Houston has proved that he is that type of Coach!
He has never had any experience at the D1 level. How has he proved that he can win at this level when he doesn't even have any experience knowing how this level works? Why do we bypass people with less risk to jump to a candidate that is extremely risky and won't bring back fans that left?

Read my posts again. I said experience, it doesn't have to be as a head coach. He had multiple years of P5 experience. That's a horrible comparison.

He has never had any experience at the D1 level. How has he proved that he can win at this level when he doesn't even have any experience knowing how this level works? Why do we bypass people with less risk to jump to a candidate that is extremely risky and won't bring back fans that left?
I understand the distinction you are making, and I agree it makes sense. The great exception people might point out is Jim Tressell, who went to Ohio St from 1AA Youngstown St. But Tressell had been an assistant for 2 years at Syracuse and 3 at Ohio St before becoming YSU HC.

Houston does not have a single year as an assistant at a P5 school. That is a cause for concern.

He beat people to sleep at LR.

I had to lookup what LR even was. Lenoir-Rhyne, huh? They play in a high school stadium. I'm not saying Houston couldn't do the job - but I think we should just throw out any mention of his D2 Lenoir-Rhyne work as justification that he can.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT