ADVERTISEMENT

Nate Oats again!

FlaTarHeel

Hall of Famer
Feb 21, 2017
The Bob Knight of this generation, except the late coach could actually COACH.
And some of the experts around here thought he should be on our short list of coaches after RW.
"O where are they now"😔 @gary-7

The Bob Knight of this generation, except the late coach could actually COACH.
And some of the experts around here thought he should be on our short list of coaches after RW.
"O where are they now"😔 @gary-7

Oats is trash (an epithet I don't like to use) and hugely overrated.

For sure, I threw up in my mouth when posters on a UNC board even mentioned his name in our direction.

He should be suspended indefinitely (not the pukie meaning) and required to take anger management classes! Imagine what would have happened if the player had slapped the shite out of that miniature beyotch! What penalty would they impose on the player or what if a brawl ensued involving both teams?

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
the reprimand is warranted. but calls for more severe sanctions ignore the context. the mizzou player was inside the bama huddle, a provocative intrusion that could have started a brawl.

Reactions: Archer2
the reprimand is warranted. but calls for more severe sanctions ignore the context. the mizzou player was inside the bama huddle, a provocative intrusion that could have started a brawl.
What the are you talking about a Bama huddle?
It was a sideline confrontation between 2 players after a jump ball tie up.
It's the refs job to break that up and he was right there to intervene.
Oats is a P.O.S. and everyone knows it.
Why didn't he grab his own kid?

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
He should be suspended indefinitely (not the pukie meaning) and required to take anger management classes! Imagine what would have happened if the player had slapped the shite out of that miniature beyotch! What penalty would they impose on the player or what if a brawl ensued involving both teams?
Bingo!

I only caught a brief glimpse but from what I saw I didn't find it all that over the top, it certainly was not a Woody Hayes moment! LOL The Missouri kid was in a place by the bama bench at a point tensions were high, he needed to get over to his own bench and Oats moved him away, call it a shove if you like. From the 1 very brief glimpse I saw I didn't see anything that had me think this coach should be suspended?

Only real issue I have with Oats is that I don't like his game approach, that 4 guards around 1 big man, just not a fan of that and I would never want UNC to go to that. I am not a huge fan of the stretch 4 deal to begin with.

Point is there has to be a zero tolerance for putting your hands on another team's players! I am old school enough to have little problem if he had pushed his own player away from trouble, but he cannot be given an excuse to touch others! I repeat: If the player had pushed him back, the player would be suspended right now! Two players have an issue, coaches grab their own players. He should definitely serve some type of penalty!

I only caught a brief glimpse but from what I saw I didn't find it all that over the top, it certainly was not a Woody Hayes moment! LOL The Missouri kid was in a place by the bama bench at a point tensions were high, he needed to get over to his own bench and Oats moved him away, call it a shove if you like. From the 1 very brief glimpse I saw I didn't see anything that had me think this coach should be suspended?
This is the same guy that yelled "He's faking" when Leaky when down hard in our game against Bammer last season and couldn't shoot the FTs. It was as quiet as Sunday church service when he did that. Leaky's folks and HD were not too happy after Oats.
He is as low class as they come in the coaching circles. Don't be fooled by him, there will be more incidents after this. Stay tuned.

And for his screaming that it was totally classless!

But here is the thing, in the heat of battle I have seen and heard a lot of classless things, 2hrs of the crap that came from K's mouth on the side lines was much worse to me, say it again, to me, than Oats moving a kid away from his bench when tensions were ramped up. Again, I have only seen a brief glimpse of this, maybe it was worse than I saw? But I didn't see a 2 handed shove to the ground, I saw 1 arm that struck me as nudging him away, I didn't see the harm in that. Not in any way saying anyone that saw it differently is wrong, just sharing what I saw and how I took it.

To be clear, I am not saying he assaulted the youngster! But once you put your hands on someone it still might cause the player to want to retaliate! Not one person has responded to the question of what happens if the player pushed him back?

No coach has the right to put his hands on an opponent!
(because it has too great a potential to escalate!)

Reactions: Heels5150
To be clear, I am not saying he assaulted the youngster! But once you put your hands on someone it still might cause the player to want to retaliate! Not one person has responded to the question of what happens if the player pushed him back?

No coach has the right to put his hands on an opponent!
(because it has too great a potential to escalate!)
So true! Especially this day and age

And for his screaming that it was totally classless!

But here is the thing, in the heat of battle I have seen and heard a lot of classless things, 2hrs of the crap that came from K's mouth on the side lines was much worse to me, say it again, to me, than Oats moving a kid away from his bench when tensions were ramped up. Again, I have only seen a brief glimpse of this, maybe it was worse than I saw? But I didn't see a 2 handed shove to the ground, I saw 1 arm that struck me as nudging him away, I didn't see the harm in that. Not in any way saying anyone that saw it differently is wrong, just sharing what I saw and how I took it.

I agree him being a classless trash coach doesn't have anything to do with him IMO simply protecting his players and bench.

Still not one response to what would happen to a player that pushed an opposing coach. Would any defend him or would he be a full out Latrell Sprewell?

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
All you have to do is watch any UConn game and you can tell that Hurley is mostly unhinged. Frankly, his demeanor on the sideline is ridiculous.

Reactions: Heelicious
All you have to do is watch any UConn game and you can tell that Hurley is mostly unhinged. Frankly, his demeanor on the sideline is ridiculous.
No doubt. I assume every game he’s on the court like he was last night during play. If I was an official I’d be like “you have some eligibility left? You suited up tonight? No? Then get your ass on the bench before I toss you!”

Still not one response to what would happen to a player that pushed an opposing coach. Would any defend him or would he be a full out Latrell Sprewell?
That is a really easy question to answer, there would be a major brawl, hands would be thrown, it would be extremely nasty. What would happen if you shoved a on duty cop? LOL

In a heated moment, when tensions are amped up all around, duty #1 is to separate players. I am not a fan of Oates, I thought it was funny to see UNC fans wanting Oats at UNC when we struggled last season, I don't like the style his teams play, I don't want UNC to play that way, I respect the heck out of Tony Bennett as a coach but I don't want UNC to play like Uva does either.

I will say this, if tensions are high and I have all my players grouped around me but there is an opposing player that refuses to leave my players HE IS GOING TO BE MOVED in a very similar way that Oats "moved" the opposing player away, I am not going to ask him "pretty please if you don't mind". I am going to protect my players and at times that means I may have to protect my player from himself from his reactions to an opponent being in his space, if my player is where I need him to be and the opposing player is not, that opposing player will be moved and I am not going to ask the opposing coach if it is OK, that other coach should already have his player under control and where he should be.

I'm fine with that answer as long as there is an accompanying consequence levied. It was not on their bench, it was on the court and play had just ended. You do not own the court even in front of your bench. The proper move would be to move your players and leave the opponent to his coach OR move him yourself and report your misdeed to the conference. My key point is once you put hands on an opponent, any physical confrontation from that point on is your fault! The player should be allowed to "remove" your hands without repercussions OR receive the same consequence as the coach if he decides to push him back.

I'm fine with that answer as long as there is an accompanying consequence levied. It was not on their bench, it was on the court and play had just ended. You do not own the court even in front of your bench. The proper move would be to move your players and leave the opponent to his coach OR move him yourself and report your misdeed to the conference. My key point is once you put hands on an opponent, any physical confrontation from that point on is your fault! The player should be allowed to "remove" your hands without repercussions OR receive the same consequence as the coach if he decides to push him back.
For me and me is all I can speak for, it does not matter where I have my players separated to, it could be at my bench, in front of my bench, at the logo, or at Star Bucks down the street, it does matter where I have them separated from he other team. I am not moving my players to some other spot because 1 opposing player insists on being in the space my players are, the point is they must be separated. The one causing the problem is the one not where he should be, in the space my players are.

Now it should be the responsibility of the other coaching staff to get their players isolated from mine, you handle your players and I will handle mine. But if that other staff does not handle that then that player will be moved away in a manner that opposing staff may not like. I am just being real about this.

Look I grew up in sports at a time that coaches could and often did "lay hands on" their players. I have been punched in the chest, slapped in the head, hit with galvanized water buckets, kicked and called every name in the book. I quit coaching when I was told to try not to yell at players anymore.....what???? I feel as you do, but I recognize this isn't that world! We don't really disagree at all, I am just worried that with the nature of today's athlete and the complete removal of respect for others, you just can't predict what will happen if you put your hands on someone else's players and I know the player would suffer far more than a coach if the worst happened!

BTW: Thanks for the civil debate Bud!

Look I grew up in sports at a time that coaches could and often did "lay hands on" their players. I have been punched in the chest, slapped in the head, hit with galvanized water buckets, kicked and called every name in the book. I quit coaching when I was told to try not to yell at players anymore.....what????
🙋‍♂️

Look I grew up in sports at a time that coaches could and often did "lay hands on" their players. I have been punched in the chest, slapped in the head, hit with galvanized water buckets, kicked and called every name in the book. I quit coaching when I was told to try not to yell at players anymore.....what???? I feel as you do, but I recognize this isn't that world! We don't really disagree at all, I am just worried that with the nature of today's athlete and the complete removal of respect for others, you just can't predict what will happen if you put your hands on someone else's players and I know the player would suffer far more than a coach if the worst happened!

BTW: Thanks for the civil debate Bud!
First, TP, you know I would never be anything but civil toward you no matter if we agree on a particular topic or not, you are always respectful and I will always mirror respect shown. It is how I was raised that you show respect toward others until they prove they deserve anything less than respect.

I do think todays players are coddled to much, not held responsible for their actions and I don't think young people learn to deal in this real world where no one is going to coddle you. There are rules in life that we all must follow and the consequences for not doing so are nasty, my USMC Sgt Major father made sure I learned that early on. Even as hard headed as I was, maybe still am (LOL) a 6'5" 260lb former USMA drill instructor knew how to ingrain that in me. You, no kid should have ever been hit by a thrown water bucket by his coach just as water itself should have NEVER been used as a reward and held from you until after practice. Coaches in the past did go to far. But simply yelling at a player was not a issue nor should it be just as a parent should yell at their kids at times when the kids do things they have been told not to. Your coach is not your buddy, he is your coach, his charge is to get the best out of you even when you think you have given all you have he draws that little bit extra out of you. That is a lesson not limited to sports, that is a lesson to take thru life.

I agree, it is a question of extremes, for example, what Bear Bryant did to his players in his pre-season boot camps was border line criminal, Matt and throwing chairs at our players should not have happened. Actions like throwing chairs and water buckets are actions of a coach unable to control their own emotions and yet that same coach demands players control their emotions at all times.

I also couldn't take the level parents want to control what happens on the field or court! Peeps telling their kids to come to them on the sidelines in football or baseball and trying to tell me what position they would play and how often drove me crazy. I don't know how a coach can really coach up kids when they can leave as soon as the wind blows! (BTW: My HS football coach didn't throw the water bucket, but he was kind enough to say, "put your helmet on now!" right before he hit you, lol!) These guys went too far by today's standards, but I guarantee when he spoke we responded and if I complained to my father I might get a 2nd dose from him! I am a better man now because I understand how to respect/respond to authority!

Interesting how ratty, Cal, and Self seem to fall off the success map once the playing field leveled! One has already quit and the other two are certainly looking worn down! It is hilarious to see the stuff their formally adoring fan bases are now saying about their HOF coaches!!!! Maybe peeps will start to appreciate the unbroken line of great people that have represented our beloved U!

So how is sign stealing in football illegal but legal in basketball.... just read how Bama's grad asst sit Courtside and yelled entire game bout what unc play was getting ready to happen

• Wow
Reactions: TarHeelMark
So how is sign stealing in football illegal but legal in basketball.... just read how Bama's grad asst sit Courtside and yelled entire game bout what unc play was getting ready to happen
Is that from sign stealing though? That is scouting. NBA scout every set in detail from every team and call out plays all the time . Top players like LeBron are well known for telling opposing players exactly where they are going in game possessions, it's called film work. That is why so many NBA teams run variations of "Pistol" to have reads on how the defense reacts, much like RPO's in football. The dee has to react, then you hopefully read correctly according to that.

Reactions: alabamaheel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT