ADVERTISEMENT

Need help!!!

Grayhead

Hall of Famer
Feb 15, 2006
Everywhere i go, i see signs that say need help. We have 2 new restaurants in my town that cant open due to no employees. It is also effecting trades. I hear people blaming unemployment. I personally do not know anyone who is still on unemployment. Noone in my church (150+ member) I ask anyone who mentions it if they know anyone, and havent heard of anyone. So were are all the workers? It is a hot mess here. All the restaurants have reduced their hours, or closed on certain days. Any ideas?

It’s simple, people are making more money from Covid relief and unemployment than working. Time to end that so lazy assholes can’t sit on their couch and collect a check.

There should be a system that if there are a certain number of jobs available within a 15 mile radius of your home you can’t collect unemployment.

It’s simple, people are making more money from Covid relief and unemployment than working. Time to end that so lazy assholes can’t sit on their couch and collect a check.

There should be a system that if there are a certain number of jobs available within a 15 mile radius of your home you can’t collect unemployment.
I can agree, but like i said, we know noone drawing. Even burger king is offering $500 sign on bonuses. Trades offering $20 for entry level workers. Its a mess

Reactions: Heelicious

Take your politics to the politics thread.

Just kidding. I actually read an article about this and it wasn't related to the unemployment, although I'm sure that's a part of it. It has a lot to do with how people's attitudes towards those jobs have changed during rona and also fear of being around so many people who could give them the next virus, I'll try to find the article if I can. It's a pretty interesting read.

Reactions: Bolit
Take your politics to the politics thread.

Just kidding. I actually read an article about this and it wasn't related to the unemployment, although I'm sure that's a part of it. It has a lot to do with how people's attitudes towards those jobs have changed during rona and also fear of being around so many people who could give them the next virus, I'll try to find the article if I can. It's a pretty interesting read.
Um, I get my politics from the only true place for politics, Raider.

Yeah, I guess I can understand some of that...but how many of those people are at sporting events, concerts, or other places where the risk is equally high?

I know people personally who have simply said I'm not going back to work when I'm making more at home. Few things frustrate me more than that.

Reactions: Heelicious
Without trying to get too political, unemployment needs to be tied to job training. You should have to be enrolled in job training and actively looking for work to receive benefits. Job training is one of the few benefits that I'm ok with the government paying for as part of the safety net.

Yeah, I guess I can understand some of that...but how many of those people are at sporting events, concerts, or other places where the risk is equally high?
Probably a pretty small amount since that crap is expense and isn't at 100% capacity in most places. Hell, I make decent money and that crap is still too expensive for me to do it more than a few times a year.

Reactions: dadika13
Without trying to get too political, unemployment needs to be tied to job training. You should have to be enrolled in job training and actively looking for work to receive benefits. Job training is one of the few benefits that I'm ok with the government paying for as part of the safety net.
Completely agree. I'm very fiscally conservative and HATE the idea of free college but I do think trade school should either be free or very inexpensive.

That Time article is interesting, a lot to unpack. The WeWork CEO comments are funny by calling professionals who WFH "unmotivated." Not like he has a dog in this fight to get people back into offices or anything. I was mostly WFH even before Covid and I work much longer hours from home than from an office because I'm basically always on. It sucks but I take that with the benefit of no commute, can pop out and run an errand real quick, can jump downstairs and see my kid for 10 min in between meetings, etc. etc.

I'm curious to see how quickly the hourly stuff like grocery stores, waiters, etc. get right again. I do tend to think it's tied to unemployment benefits, I think people will be more willing to take the "risk" of germs when they need that money to survive.

@Grayhead aren’t you at the beach?...how much of workforce during the summer is foreign?

i ask because the two places we vacation(seabrook-two weeks ago) and the obx next week, usually have a considerable amount of russian staff and small island staff filling those jobs.

at seabrook there were businesses either only open during certain hours or closed for the season because they didn’t get that influx of workers...i’m curious what’s going to happen next week at the spots we like to frequent...i know one place is no longer open for lunch and another is closed sunday and monday.

Completely agree. I'm very fiscally conservative and HATE the idea of free college but I do think trade school should either be free or very inexpensive.
That goes into a tangent for me about how society sees education. When I was in high school there were two things that were pushed to us, a college degree AND trade schools. We've gotten to a point where society has determined that everyone has to go to college to be successful. That's just a bad way to look at things. You can be just as successful in a blue collar job as you can a white collar job if you have the training you need. I would be in favor of some type of tax credit for people that go to a trade school.

The whole everyone going to college thing is a tangent to the tangent. It's completely killed people with debt and caused a degree to get devalued to the point of making it almost a need to get a post grad degree. That, of course, makes the debt issue even worse. Not everyone should go to college for multiple reasons. We need to get high schools to give options again.

Um, I get my politics from the only true place for politics, Raider.

I know people personally who have simply said I'm not going back to work when I'm making more at home. Few things frustrate me more than that.
"I know people personally who have simply said I'm not going back to work when I'm making more at home. Few things frustrate me more than that."

Try this on for size then. Even while we are paying people to stay at home, and while there is a push for yet another gigantic sit-at-home bill, there is serious talk of paying people to go back to work. I'm not talking employers, I'm talking our government in the hands of the Nancy Pelosis and Joe Bidens that represent us.

Unemployment is a joke to begin with. When I try to hire somebody, I specifically outline the HVAC experience and qualifications I'm looking for. I'll get dozens and dozens of responses from people who have no idea what I'm looking for or what we do, they're just in need of a name to put down on their unemployment paperwork. I tried to rehire a former employee and he agreed, but at the last minute he said I'd have to pay him under the table so as not to screw up his covid/unemployment deal, and he was actually working an allowable job already. I told him to GFH.

I'll keep saying it til I'm blue in the face....make people work for their bennies, even if it costs more to create and maintain a menial work program. That will put a stop to the bullshit. Talk about frustration? It almost makes me crazy that no one supports this common sense notion.

Everywhere i go, i see signs that say need help. We have 2 new restaurants in my town that cant open due to no employees. It is also effecting trades. I hear people blaming unemployment. I personally do not know anyone who is still on unemployment. Noone in my church (150+ member) I ask anyone who mentions it if they know anyone, and havent heard of anyone. So were are all the workers? It is a hot mess here. All the restaurants have reduced their hours, or closed on certain days. Any ideas?
Here's your link:

I'm curious what % female workers haven't returned. They were overwhelmingly sidelined due to lack of childcare compared to men. This number might help point to real reasons.

I'm curious what % female workers haven't returned. They were overwhelmingly sidelined due to lack of childcare compared to men. This number might help point to real reasons.
They talk about that in the article I posted.

That goes into a tangent for me about how society sees education. When I was in high school there were two things that were pushed to us, a college degree AND trade schools. We've gotten to a point where society has determined that everyone has to go to college to be successful. That's just a bad way to look at things. You can be just as successful in a blue collar job as you can a white collar job if you have the training you need. I would be in favor of some type of tax credit for people that go to a trade school.

The whole everyone going to college thing is a tangent to the tangent. It's completely killed people with debt and caused a degree to get devalued to the point of making it almost a need to get a post grad degree. That, of course, makes the debt issue even worse. Not everyone should go to college for multiple reasons. We need to get high schools to give options again.
This is an awesome post. Check out info shared by Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs, Deadliest Catch, etc) on this topic. Via his podcast, and programs he runs and funds - promoting jobs in trades and skills, where a college degree isn't needed, and you can make way more than a person who happened to get a degree in a pretty useless, unneeded, non-valuable major. His point - way too many people go to college. More should be encouraged to learn a skill via apprenticeship, trade school, vo-tech etc.

I admit Mike Rowe is an everyman sort of common sense work ethic hero of mine. He has it exactly right IMO for jobs for so many in highly valued, high demand skilled jobs - and there are hundreds of these types of jobs out there, that make great money, fairly quickly, if people are willing to put in the work to learn and master a trade.

@Grayhead aren’t you at the beach?...how much of workforce during the summer is foreign?

i ask because the two places we vacation(seabrook-two weeks ago) and the obx next week, usually have a considerable amount of russian staff and small island staff filling those jobs.

at seabrook there were businesses either only open during certain hours or closed for the season because they didn’t get that influx of workers...i’m curious what’s going to happen next week at the spots we like to frequent...i know one place is no longer open for lunch and another is closed sunday and monday.
Most of the work force here are locals and hispanic. We are still considered semi rural. Beachs tied to Wilmington or myrtle beach may have a heavier lean for seasonal workers.

Bunches of states ended their extra $300 mid June, yet they're still having hiring probs. So it's something other than those unemployment checks causing the issue:

“It appears that generous unemployment benefits are likely no more of a factor than other impediments, including childcare, transportation and health concerns, to workplace re-entry,"

Last edited:
Bunches of states ended their extra $300 mid June, yet they're still having hiring probs. So it's something other than those unemployment checks causing the issue:

“It appears that generous unemployment benefits are likely no more of a factor than other impediments, including childcare, transportation and health concerns, to workplace re-entry,"
Lol mid-June and you expect this to make an immediate impact like the day after?

“Some” states ended that 2 weeks ago and you expect us to see this correction already? That’s pretty dumb.

I’m actually surprised the number (12% decline) is already even that much higher than the number in states that have said their extra benefits will run through September (just 4%). I actually think you’re proving my point for me. Thanks man.

Talk to me when all states end it and it’s been weeks of no extra benefits. Something tells me those numbers will begin to correct themselves.

Last edited:
Lol mid-June and you expect this to make an immediate impact like the day after?

“Some” states ended that 2 weeks ago and you expect us to see this correction already? That’s pretty dumb.

I’m actually surprised the number (12% decline) is already even that much higher than the number in states that have said their extra benefits will run through September (just 4%). I actually think you’re proving my point for me. Thanks man.

Talk to me when all states end it and it’s been weeks of no extra benefits. Something tells me those numbers will begin to correct themselves.
Ahhh whats that? Common sense? Rarity these days

and don't forget the next round that's being waved under the noses of the stay-at-homers.

Some ended July 12, so 3 weeks, and comparing ended vs not ended states seems like the better comparison to tease out the diff.

everyone here on the obx is hiring...also appears the restaurants have worked together and decided to close on not the same days.

Haven't really thought about the location angle on this. Just goes to show you how complicated this issue is.

Both really interesting. I could see the second applying a tiny bit more to beach semi-rural like grayhead's restaurants, esp the parts about immigration.

It feels like some of the austerity post-housing-crash, where people are learning to do more with less, is happening again.

Only ~1 out of every ten unemployed people are sitting at home due to the nice benefits (13%).

That's a large number, but not enough to make a huge dent in the shortage.

Last edited:

Another week gone by. Been a month now in some states.

"As data comes in, there’s scant evidence that canceling the extra $300 per week federal jobless payment is boosting employment in Republican-led states. “There is little sign that workers are flooding back into the labor market in states where unemployment benefits have been cut,” Moody’s Analytics explained in a July 15 analysis. “The preponderance of evidence suggests that reduced benefits are not the cure for worker shortages.”"

Moody’s Analytics looked at four different sets of data, including weekly unemployment claims, Google mobility data, job search trends and small-business payrolls.

Me.

You:

We all could do without your weekly updates until my original point becomes the state of the country.

Holy shit, what a joke! Like, instead of King, you made it so it sounds like I’m a woman.

You are on the cutting edge of humor. Bravo Blazers, bravo.
When I think of ROYAL WE i think of the queen of England. Don't be so touchy and sensitive.

When I think of ROYAL WE i think of the queen of England. Don't be so touchy and sensitive.

Women do tend to be touchy and sensitive. @dadika13

tenor.gif

CNBC had a person on who said service industry weren't sitting on their butt while collecting unemployment but instead were side-hustling, self-educating, self-improving themselves to get away from waiting-tables and into better paying, more stable careers. Said there'd been quite a bit of new business growth and as new biz filled jobs everyone moved up the chain.

Me.

You:

We all could do without your weekly updates until my original point becomes the state of the country.
How bout now?

"Nonfarm payrolls rose 1.33% in July from April in the 25 states that ended the benefits and 1.37% in the other 25 states and the District of Columbia, the Journal analysis of Labor Department data showed. The payroll figures are taken from a government survey of employers. The analysis compared July totals with April, before governors in May started announcing plans to end or reduce the benefits during the summer.

Economists who have conducted their own analyses of the government data say the rates of job growth in states that ended and states that maintained the benefits are, from a statistical perspective, about the same"

How bout now?

"Nonfarm payrolls rose 1.33% in July from April in the 25 states that ended the benefits and 1.37% in the other 25 states and the District of Columbia, the Journal analysis of Labor Department data showed. The payroll figures are taken from a government survey of employers. The analysis compared July totals with April, before governors in May started announcing plans to end or reduce the benefits during the summer.

Economists who have conducted their own analyses of the government data say the rates of job growth in states that ended and states that maintained the benefits are, from a statistical perspective, about the same"

Hmm, interesting. Would have assumed there would be a difference. Still pretty early on to really glean anything from the info though.

Regardless, glad to see the unemployment benefits getting trimmed where they are, and think they should be trimmed where they aren't.

Reactions: bluetoe
CNBC had a person on who said service industry weren't sitting on their butt while collecting unemployment but instead were side-hustling, self-educating, self-improving themselves to get away from waiting-tables and into better paying, more stable careers. Said there'd been quite a bit of new business growth and as new biz filled jobs everyone moved up the chain.

If a guy on CNBC said it, it must be true.

I think my idea is better. ALL government handouts should be earned. Give these deadbeats some menial work to do, and most of the problem is solved. It amazes me that there are so many high level decision-makers unaware of how things really work. Unemployment was already thoroughly abused before this latest idiotic plan to encourage workers to sit at home and watch TV or maintain some under-the-table side racket while collecting them bennies.

Reactions: bleeduncblue
ADVERTISEMENT