ADVERTISEMENT

Netflix Finds

WhatTheHeel?

All-American
Mar 31, 2002
I've been watching a lot of documentaries on Netflix lately, widely ranging from the story of Compaq, to the development of toys like He-Man.

Well, I kept scrolling through other suggested documentaries and came upon Wild Wild Country, the story of Bagwanshreerajneesh. Anyone north of 40 years old might remember hearing of him in the early 1980s but as I was about 12 or 13 when he first made local news, the name was about all I remembered and some sort of "cult." I decided to watch it (a six part series) and was drawn in. Most of the footage is old so don't expect a lot of HD video, but even though it was done on what looked to be a low budget, it was compelling. They leave it to the viewer to decide who the "villains" are and most of the major players are interviewed throughout the series, telling how they saw things back then and you can see their perspectives (well some of them) shift as the story advances in time.

I hesitate recommending TV shows because everyone has different tastes but if you remember the Bagwan but never knew the entire story, it's worth checking out. Even if you don't know the story, it's pretty good.

Anyone else find anything that isn't on the "front page" of Netflix or Amazon Prime?

we just finished a documentary series called "Broken" -- enjoyed it.

also enjoyed the documentary "The Devil Next Door" - a story i vaguely remember from my childhood bc my grandparents live in that part of Ohio.

Reactions: ohio tarheels
Watched Freaks last night. I would recommend it. Don't look into it too much. The less you know about the plot the better. All you really need to know is it's about a father who is hiding his child from the outside world, but she starts to find out more about what is really happening in the world.

Watched Freaks last night. I would recommend it. Don't look into it too much. The less you know about the plot the better. All you really need to know is it's about a father who is hiding his child from the outside world, but she starts to find out more about what is really happening in the world.

yea I liked it

Reactions: tarheel0910
Yep, I liked it.. Watched it last week, and realized that I don't recall ever hearing Dusty Baker or Frank Beard speak much.
Dusty Hill... from Dallas. Frank Beard has a THICK accent, doesn't he?

And, Billy FG from Houston.

I never knew they took a 3 year hiatus. Dusty Hill was working at an airport! Eliminator made them household names, of course. But, their best stuff was in the first phase.

Not mentioned in the doc: Did you see the episode of King Of The Hill where Dusty was Hank's cousin and the band was featured in the whole show?

ETA:
After Eliminator, the music gets really bad, in my opinion.

Dusty Hill...

ETA: After Eliminator, the music gets really bad, in my opinion.
Dusty Baker... Doh! Yeah, Dusty Hill.

Agreed that after Eliminator, that was the end of their good stuff. I bought a few albums after that one, but there was maybe one or two decent songs on each overall.

ETA: Dusty Baker is the manager of the Houston Astros, so it's in the ballpark. LOL

Reactions: strummingram
HOLY CRAP!!! Just watched first episode last night. Dumbfounding. Should be required viewing for all ootb poasters. Gay big cat owner rivalry that turns into murder for hire. Priceless.
Pretty sure I've already watched that

source.gif

I don't know if it's on the front page, but The Toys That Made Us and The Movies That Made Us were pretty good.

I watched some of those episodes and really enjoyed them. Even toys I never cared about, like He-Man and Mutant Ninja Turtles were interesting to hear the histories.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Burt Kreischer and Tom Segura both have new stand up specials that just came out. About to watch Segura's now.

Reactions: tilador
My wife started watching that series "The Americans" recently, and I ended up getting into myself. Pretty entertaining show. I believe it was on Prime, not Netflix.

I gave them credit for being incredibly talented... just not my kind of music.

I enjoyed how they were featured in the movie "I Love You, Man"

giphy.gif

Here's one that I like:

Reactions: Archer2
And, I liked Geddy Lee on The Great White North Album

True story:

One of my best friends, also a great guitar player, looks like he could be Geddy Lee's brother. CSB (kinda)

Well I just finished tiger king. Don’t even know where to begin. Except maybe to say that a gay polygamist tiger breeder dressing as a priest to speak at his dead husbands funeral and referencing how dead husband liked to rub his “Golden nugget” balls in his face is probably not even top 10 strangest moments.

Well I just finished tiger king. Don’t even know where to begin. Except maybe to say that a gay polygamist tiger breeder dressing as a priest to speak at his dead husbands funeral and referencing how dead husband liked to rub his “Golden nugget” balls in his face is probably not even top 10 strangest moments.

That scene was so damn sad. I felt horrible for the kid’s mom having to sit through that at her son’s funeral

Reactions: heelmanwilm
I was very pleasantly surprised to see the THIRD season of Ozark last night saw the first two episodes... I gotta feeling this is not going to end well for Marty...and his wife Wendy seems to want to take over and become her very own Mob boss. Must watch stuff !!!

That scene was so damn sad. I felt horrible for the kid’s mom having to sit through that at her son’s funeral

yea my wife found the whole show depressing tbh. There’s prob some sort of social psychology thing going on with this show coming out during the pandemic scare. The two will always be entwined.

I'm about halfway through the show. Its definitely a trainwreck... its hard to look away.

yea my wife found the whole show depressing tbh. There’s prob some sort of social psychology thing going on with this show coming out during the pandemic scare. The two will always be entwined.

It is very depressing. Mainly for the animals because they never had any say in the matter. As entertaining as the documentary was, the guy is basically a predator that went after young, dumb, drug addicts and ruined their lives.

The memes from that show are definitely going to last a long time.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
I was very pleasantly surprised to see the THIRD season of Ozark last night saw the first two episodes... I gotta feeling this is not going to end well for Marty...and his wife Wendy seems to want to take over and become her very own Mob boss. Must watch stuff !!!
I'm just making my way through season 1, @keysersosay#1 so don't be posting any spoilers;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT