ADVERTISEMENT

New Basketball Arena

Kool1234567

Junior
Gold Member
Mar 26, 2023
Reactions: gthreadgill7929

This is why UNC must get out of the ACC…Need the money from TV deals in Football for things like this…
Smith Center is still a great venue. It will most likely be a while before a new arena is built (imo). Whatever the case this team this year, will be very, very good if they can stay healthy 🏀...

I realize the challenges of the on-campus options, but it will be so disappointing and so much less meaningful if they move it off campus. My first choice would be to replace or extensively renovate at the current location, even if it meant playing somewhere else for a season. That would give 18-19 months to get the job done, which should be feasible given the available resources. Also interesting that they're apparently planning for a significantly smaller venue in terms of overall capacity.

I realize the challenges of the on-campus options, but it will be so disappointing and so much less meaningful if they move it off campus. My first choice would be to replace or extensively renovate at the current location, even if it meant playing somewhere else for a season. That would give 18-19 months to get the job done, which should be feasible given the available resources. Also interesting that they're apparently planning for a significantly smaller venue in terms of overall capacity.
Like you I am hoping this is the plan..Also I have heard the number is around 16k for seating…

Have to get rid of the seats to make room for luxury suites. Same thing would happen with a renovation to the Dean Dome.

ETA: and the somewhere else they play would probably be somewhere like Greensboro. People should go ahead and get rid of any dreams about Carmichael. They aren't going to give up that kind of revenue.

Last edited:
Have to get rid of the seats to make room for luxury suites. Same thing would happen with a renovation to the Dean Dome.

ETA: and the somewhere else they play would probably be somewhere like Greensboro. People should go ahead and get rid of any dreams about Carmichael. They aren't going to give up that kind of revenue.
Anybody know what revenue is like for just the stadium side of sports like basketball and football? How does it compare with TV revenue?

How long would it take ticket receipts to pay off these construction projects?

Anybody know what revenue is like for just the stadium side of sports like basketball and football? How does it compare with TV revenue?

How long would it take ticket receipts to pay off these construction projects?
They break down the numbers in the revenue reports, but I'm not sure where to find one. You could probably find it in a Google search. Nothing compares to TV revenue. If you're just using ticket receipts to pay off the project, then you would probably be building the second project before you paid off the first. The money is going to have to come from a combination of TV revenue, private donors and most likely the school. The school part could go away with SEC/Big money, though.

Just to give you an idea of how expensive it will be, the Dean Dome cost $34 million in 1986. In today's dollars that's close to $100 million. If you're building something with all the amenities needed in today's world, it would probably cost 2-3x that.

Last edited:
They break down the numbers in the revenue reports, but I'm not sure where to find one. You could probably find it in a Google search. Nothing compares to TV revenue. If you're just using ticket receipts to pay off the project, then you would probably be building the second project before you paid off the first. The money is going to have to come from a combination of TV revenue, private donors and most likely the school. The school part could go away with SEC/Big money, though.
Are these plans predicated on us leaving the ACC? In the sense that the stadia won't make money for us but they could give us more appeal to other conferences?

I recognize there's nothing like seeing games in person - if you have good seats and good eyes. But what if we went all in on TV and just freshened up what we already have on the ground?

As a fan who does not have good eyes, I'd rather watch on my 100" 8K OLED TV with instant replay that I can control. But that's just me.

Reactions: DSouthr
Are these plans predicated on us leaving the ACC? In the sense that the stadia won't make money for us but they could give us more appeal to other conferences?
I don't think it's predicated on it, but it would certainly make it easier. We already have all the appeal we need.

I recognize there's nothing like seeing games in person - if you have good seats and good eyes. But what if we went all in on TV and just freshened up what we already have on the ground?
Renovation is on the table as well as a new place. The problem with renovations is that it's still expensive and the Dean Dome is almost 40 years old. Is spending $75 million on a 40 year old building the best idea? I guess that depends on someone's point of view. But at some point a new place will be needed and the dome is closer to the end of its life cycle than it is to the beginning.

As a fan who does not have good eyes, I'd rather watch on my 100" 8K OLED TV with instant replay that I can control. But that's just me.
The drinks and snacks are cheaper as well!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT