RSR Brooks 6-9
SR McAdoo 6-5
JR Farris 6-2
SR Smith 6-2
SO Lebo 6-1

ETA: New players via Transfer Portal:
JR Justin McKoy 6-8
SR Brady Manek 6-9

On paper right now it looks scary, especially if at least one of Bacot/Kessler don’t return. Will Bacot and possibly Kessler return? Will we give any scholarships to the walk-ons? Who will we get from the transfer portal or add to our 2021 class? Hubert has his work cut out for him.

Last edited:
My WAG for additions:

Bacot
Aidoo
Wing shooter combo forward transfer

That's 11. I don't imagine we get to 13, but maybe one additional player for depth.

My WAG for additions:

Bacot
Aidoo
Wing shooter combo forward transfer

That's 11. I don't imagine we get to 13, but maybe one additional player for depth.
Depth up front.... Get a 2-3 yr player from the portal who has size and potential to improve over time. Not as a starter, but as a valuable bench big man.

I think the key is going to be what transfers they pick up. And it has to be shooters. If you can't hit the three, half court offense will continue to struggle. And hopefully shooters that have played in a Power 5 conference and not some reach on somebody that lit it up at a lower level.

Speaking of lower level, Baylor just won a championship with players from small colleges ( transfer portal). Bonded them into a cohesive unit, playing defense, and team ball.

I think the key is going to be what transfers they pick up. And it has to be shooters. If you can't hit the three, half court offense will continue to struggle. And hopefully shooters that have played in a Power 5 conference and not some reach on somebody that lit it up at a lower level.
You have not been watching college hoops the last few years! Quite a few of those "lower level" guys have had huge impacts on their P5 team!

Reactions: AlanBlank
Let's face it, if Hubert strikes out with Aidoo ( if Carolina even offers) and he doesn't get anyone from the portal at the 3/4/5 positions, next year could be...let's say interesting.

I expect Bacot back and for Love to have a better year next year. Walton will continue hitting threes.

I believe RJ will improve as well and Ant will get more minutes as long as he stays healthy.

I imagine Black will help build a new building on campus with his bricks. Maybe McKoy turns out to be a great get. Only time will tell.

With all that said, as long as Bacot comes back, I believe UNC will be back in the tournament next year just don't expect a second weekend.

We're going to be in trouble, "irregardless", as Hubert would say.
Next year was always going to depend on the sophomore PG's development. Even if Kessler and Bacot were back, Caleb being a solid ACC starting PG would mean a fun year and a tournament birth IMO. Caleb being the same inefficient player meant probably an NIT team considering a brand new lead voice on the sidelines too.

Reactions: tarwhiz
1st it is silly to assume we will not get anyone by next September! Second, we will see marked improvement from our back court, wings and Bacot! Third, UNC will be a contender next year in the ACC and make a run in the Tourney!

There are just as many reasons for optimism as pessimism; make the right choice and help make it happen!

McCoy started 4 games at Virginia last year. Heck, this is sad to say, but he may come in as the best defensive player on the team. If UNC can improve it's defense on the perimeter, that could mean 3-4 extra wins right there.

Baylor started 4 guards and one forward and won the national title. Any superstars or all-americans on that team? Any 7-foot slow foot centers on that team?

You don't need bigs for the sake of having them....Manley, Miller,etc.

Hubert just got the job several days ago and he is suppose to have several big already? SMH.

"Irregardless is a nonstandard synonym for regardless, which means “without concern as to advice, warning, or hardship,” or “heedless.” Its nonstandard status is due to the double negative construction of the prefix ir- with the suffix -less."

Unfortunately, it is becoming quite popular despite being grammatically questionable.
As a former English teacher I cringe at this and many currently accepted terms, but I try not to get all preachy about it!

I wouldn't be surprised to see UNC play 1 in and 4 out next season. Justin McKoy a 6-8 220+ can play a stretch 4.
Could imagine a starting line up of:
Bacot
McCoy
Black
Walton
Love

Bench being:
Harris
Davis
Styles
Dunn
Johnson

I wouldn't be surprised to see UNC play 1 in and 4 out next season. Justin McKoy a 6-8 220+ can play a stretch 4.
Bacot
McCoy
Black
Walton
Love

Bench being:
Harris
Davis
Styles
Dunn
Johnson
I would love to get a 3 and a 5 for next year, preferably a 3 that can start immediately so that Black can come off the bench. Getting a 5 would be ideal to give Bacot some rest otherwise he will be needed 40 minutes a game essentially.

Love
Walton
A new 3
McKoy
Bacot

I think that would be a fairly good line up.

Reactions: gd15nc
Black will not start at the 3.

Caleb
Walton
Harris
McKoy
Bacot

Subject to transfer adds. The 1-2-5 are locks.

Why do you say that about Leaky? I'd be willing to bet you on it. I think I'd like for you to be right but I just don't believe that.

I do agree that Love, Walton and Bacot start regardless of who is on the roster come the first game.

Why do you say that about Leaky? I'd be willing to bet you on it. I think I'd like for you to be right but I just don't believe that.

I do agree that Love, Walton and Bacot start regardless of who is on the roster come the first game.
It is my hope that Hubert does away with the seniority preference when it comes to playing time. If that is the case, Harris should start or another 3 if he can get one from the portal.

Reactions: tarheel0910
It is my hope that Hubert does away with the seniority preference when it comes to playing time. If that is the case, Harris should start or another 3 if he can get one from the portal.

I hear you but that is the Carolina Way. Davis is a Carolina Way kind of guy.

And really, what does Ant offer that leaky doesn't? I love Ant, but he's not a better shooter, he's not a better rebounder and while he is a good defender, he's not elite. Pretty much the same as Leaky only smaller.

If we got an outstanding wing from the portal, I could see your point.

Bacot
McCoy
Black
Walton
Love

Bench being:
Harris
Davis
Styles
Dunn
Johnson
Please not Black,esp. at a position where we need a shooter and scoring threat lol. The rest is fine.

I hear you but that is the Carolina Way. Davis is a Carolina Way kind of guy.

And really, what does Ant offer that leaky doesn't? I love Ant, but he's not a better shooter, he's not a better rebounder and while he is a good defender, he's not elite. Pretty much the same as Leaky only smaller.

If we got an outstanding wing from the portal, I could see your point.

Imo Ant is definitely a better shooter/scorer, much better ball handler, faster, plays much harder! Leaky goes through the motions half the time! We would 100 percent be better off with Ant getting a lot of Leakys minutes

Leaky does not have a problem with playing hard! He does have confidence and shooting issues, but hustle and hard work are not on his list of problems. Ant is an energizer bunny on the court and will actually need to slow down to be effective. Leaky just needs to shoot better and will need to stop hesitating when open. His hesitation on the court is often due to thinking too much instead of simply reacting to the flow of the game. Allowing him to focus on 2 (3/4) positions that are more natural for him will help him tremendously! Working on his mentals and shooting will also pay dividends!

Leaky does not have a problem with playing hard! He does have confidence and shooting issues, but hustle and hard work are not on his list of problems. Ant is an energizer bunny on the court and will actually need to slow down to be effective. Leaky just needs to shoot better and will need to stop hesitating when open. His hesitation on the court is often due to thinking too much instead of simply reacting to the flow of the game. Allowing him to focus on 2 (3/4) positions that are more natural for him will help him tremendously! Working on his mentals and shooting will also pay dividends!

I will politely disagree with most of this...I think he should be in the rotation but toward the end of it...the less he plays the better off we will be

I think that Davis will have 3 guards a lot and he likes players that can shoot but he also wants versatility and Leaky gives him that as well as SR leadership. Just my opinion but if you look at what UNC does have, there are players that can shoot it. Walton, Love, Davis, Dunn, Puff and Mcoy … easy to see how at times, the 4 is played by a SF that could be McCoy, Leaky, Styles and Coach Davis has 3 guars in

I think that Davis will have 3 guards a lot and he likes players that can shoot but he also wants versatility and Leaky gives him that as well as SR leadership. Just my opinion but if you look at what UNC does have, there are players that can shoot it. Walton, Love, Davis, Dunn, Puff and Mcoy … easy to see how at times, the 4 is played by a SF that could be McCoy, Leaky, Styles and Coach Davis has 3 guars in

We can say goodbye to being a dominant rebounding program if we play that way. And that's ok as long as our shooting goes way, way up. But what is going to be maddening is people that were clamoring for playing only 1 big bitching and moaning because we're getting beaten on the boards.

I will politely disagree with most of this...I think he should be in the rotation but toward the end of it...the less he plays the better off we will be
Thank you for engaging without becoming disagreeable! We have seen dozens of players who peeps thought would hurt the team if they played and seldom has this turned out to be true! Leaky may well start, but he might be 6th man, who knows? This will be a long game and 3 is not the focus when you consider our other holes + who we already have. We will see a different style because Hubs is a different guy and our roster may demand a different style!

If Hubert can somehow corral Caleb into being the point guard for UNC, and not trying to use portions of the game for his personal audition for the NBA, that will make a huge difference. I would say improvement by Leaky will make a huge difference. But I have said that the last two years and he continues to be mostly a non factor. I see him at the tail end of the rotation unless his game, and his confidence, find something that has eluded him to date

I would love to get a 3 and a 5 for next year, preferably a 3 that can start immediately so that Black can come off the bench. Getting a 5 would be ideal to give Bacot some rest otherwise he will be needed 40 minutes a game essentially.

Love
Walton
A new 3
McKoy
Bacot

I think that would be a fairly good line up.
We currently have 3-4 small forwards on the team and I personally think the team would be better with Walton getting most minutes at the 3.
We are not looking to ADD another 3 to this team.
The ABSOLUTE biggest neef for this team is a starting 4 and a backup 5.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT