ADVERTISEMENT

NFL 2021-22

Right. And since there's no such insurance policy, the players need to self-insure. They do that by removing the risk portion of the equation.
Except then they go play in the senior bowl. Like I mentioned before, I just wish they were honest about it. You're logic about opting out, should lead to the logical conclusion of Sam sitting out this year. He's most likely a top 5 pick. Why risk that by playing?

Except then they go play in the senior bowl. Like I mentioned before, I just wish they were honest about it. You're logic about opting out, should lead to the logical conclusion of Sam sitting out this year. He's most likely a top 5 pick. Why risk that by playing?
Senior Bowl was a job interview, a chance to talk with future employers while also increasing their draft stock in the game. Sam will have some QB competition with Rattler/Slovis/Daniels/Ridder regarding QB1 in next years draft. He'll either increase or decrease his stock in 2021, we'll see what happens. I think many scouts/NFL teams want to see what he can do without the 4 explosive offensive weapons that were drafted a few weeks ago.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Senior Bowl was a job interview, a chance to talk with future employers while also increasing their draft stock in the game. Sam will have some QB competition with Rattler/Slovis/Daniels/Ridder regarding QB1 in next years draft. He'll either increase or decrease his stock in 2021, we'll see what happens. I think many scouts/NFL teams want to see what he can do without the 4 explosive offensive weapons that were drafted a few weeks ago.
Should he quit on his team or not? When do you decide to give-up and bail? Do you play your best for the whole season, or just the first 4-5 games?

And, Senior Bowl can get an ACL torn just as easily as the Orange Bowl. I'm not sure why so many people like to encourage players to quit on their team.

Should he quit on his team or not? When do you decide to give-up and bail? Do you play your best for the whole season, or just the first 4-5 games?

And, Senior Bowl can get an ACL torn just as easily as the Orange Bowl. I'm not sure why so many people like to encourage players to quit on their team.
Should he do what's best for him and his family or not? He's represented UNC for 4 years, and did it at a damn high level. He obviously felt he put his best film out there for the NFL to evaluate and chose not to risk injury in a non-National Title bowl game. And, again, the Senior Bowl was a chance to actually talk to NFL personnel, which he couldn't do at the Orange Bowl. Encouraging? Nah, like I've said over and over again, I think the student-athlete should do what is best for them. Easy to sit on the couch and judge a decision when it's not your future on the line.

Reactions: gteeitup
Senior Bowl was a job interview, a chance to talk with future employers while also increasing their draft stock in the game.
Sure, just be honest when you opt out and say money before team is why you are opting out.
Sam will have some QB competition with Rattler/Slovis/Daniels/Ridder regarding QB1 in next years draft. He'll either increase or decrease his stock in 2021, we'll see what happens. I think many scouts/NFL teams want to see what he can do without the 4 explosive offensive weapons that were drafted a few weeks ago.
Sounds smart until he gets injured in the VT game. Sam will be a first round pick even if he sits out. If the goal is to avoid injury before the draft, then sit out. You can't have it both ways.

Reactions: strummingram
Should he do what's best for him and his family or not? He's represented UNC for 4 years, and did it at a damn high level. He obviously felt he put his best film out there for the NFL to evaluate and chose not to risk injury in a non-National Title bowl game. And, again, the Senior Bowl was a chance to actually talk to NFL personnel, which he couldn't do at the Orange Bowl. Encouraging? Nah, like I've said over and over again, I think the student-athlete should do what is best for them. Easy to sit on the couch and judge a decision when it's not your future on the line.

I'm talking about Sam Howell. Sam Howell will be a Junior in 2021-22. When does he bag-it and sit on the bench to protect his... family's investment?

Sure, just be honest when you opt out and say money before team is why you are opting out.

Sounds smart until he gets injured in the VT game. Sam will be a first round pick even if he sits out. If the goal is to avoid injury before the draft, then sit out. You can't have it both ways.
Cool, but there is a big $ difference depending on where you're drafted. Each kid has different goals and each kid has different situations. None of the 5 kids that were drafted this year for UNC were thought to be 1st round picks. 4 of the 5 were slated to be drafted between rounds 2-4 with Dazz being a 3rd day pick. Not exactly the same situation for Sam.

I'm talking about Sam Howell. Sam Howell will be a Junior in 2021-22. When does he bag-it and sit on the bench to protect his... family's investment?
Cool. Again, each kid has unique circumstances and situations. QB is the most important position in sports and Sam has played himself into consideration of being the 1st QB drafted in the 2022 NFL Draft. Williams, Carter, Dazz, Chazz and Dyami were barely on any NFL teams' radar prior to this season. A lot of folks on here act like this UNC class were the first to not play in a bowl game, certainly won't be the last to do so. Whatever he choses to do, I'll support him both on here as well as section 104 in Kenan.

Cool. Again, each kid has unique circumstances and situations. QB is the most important position in sports and Sam has played himself into consideration of being the 1st QB drafted in the 2022 NFL Draft. Williams, Carter, Dazz, Chazz and Dyami were barely on any NFL teams' radar prior to this season. A lot of folks on here act like this UNC class were the first to not play in a bowl game, certainly won't be the last to do so. Whatever he choses to do, I'll support him both on here as well as section 104 in Kenan.
I'm not "acting like" anything. I'm simply not eager to support players that quit on their teammates, coaches and school. It contributes to the demise of the TEAM sport.

Cool, but there is a big $ difference depending on where you're drafted. Each kid has different goals and each kid has different situations. None of the 5 kids that were drafted this year for UNC were thought to be 1st round picks. 4 of the 5 were slated to be drafted between rounds 2-4 with Dazz being a 3rd day pick. Not exactly the same situation for Sam.
You're right. Sam's situation is even more logical to sit out since he has little to gain. He's getting first round money guaranteed. Going from first round to third round because of injury is a huge loss. Especially if that injury is against directional state college.

You're right. Sam's situation is even more logical to sit out since he has little to gain. He's getting first round money guaranteed. Going from first round to third round because of injury is a huge loss. Especially if that injury is against directional state college.
Difference of about 20M in terms of contract value between the #1 pick and the #15 pick in the draft. The remarkable thing about Sam is that he's had two stellar seasons in Chapel Hill and can improve so much more in his Junior season. Looking forward to the season.

Difference of about 20M in terms of contract value between the #1 pick and the #15 pick in the draft. The remarkable thing about Sam is that he's had two stellar seasons in Chapel Hill and can improve so much more in his Junior season. Looking forward to the season.
What's the difference between the #1 pick and #97?

Over 30M. But due to the premium position in which Sam plays, he can easily still be a top pick if he sustained a major injury (knock on wood).
No need to chance it though. You need to be consistent. If guys sit out because they have an extremely small chance of getting hurt in the orange bowl, then they should sit out the season since there is a higher chance of injury. You seem to want it both ways.

Reactions: strummingram
No need to chance it though. You need to be consistent. If guys sit out because they have an extremely small chance of getting hurt in the orange bowl, then they should sit out the season since there is a higher chance of injury. You seem to want it both ways.
If he wants to chance it and improve his draft stock, that's his decision. Williams, Carter, Chazz and Dyami felt they put enough good tape out there and didn't want to jeopardize their future in a non-national title bowl game. Have it both ways? Nah, brother. Like I keep saying over and over and over again, they're going to do what is in their best interest, and I'll support them both on here and in section 104. Again, Sam plays a premium position and with a strong season, can set himself up for a 35M contract. Go Heels!

Any play can end/diminish a player future. Arguing that sitting out a bowl game is protecting themselves, what about blow out games? What if we are in a tight game? Should they sit out when playing a scrub team during the season? What if at any point in the season, a player says, im not playing to protect my body? Are we heading in that direction? Playing a game that equals a small car accident on each play is dangerous to begin with. Also, commitment to a team weights heavy from a fan side, and should on a coaches side. Anyone can say what they want. Quitting on your team defeats the competitive mindset at any point. That same team was in the trenches with the ones who quit during their time in school both on and off the field. The school took on the financial obligation to help said players to even have a chance to reach their goals in life. If it becomes normal to sit the elite for non title games, then how many people will pay to watch? I see both sides, but one side has quitters and it doesnt look good

Any play can end/diminish a player future. Arguing that sitting out a bowl game is protecting themselves, what about blow out games? What if we are in a tight game? Should they sit out when playing a scrub team during the season? What if at any point in the season, a player says, im not playing to protect my body? Are we heading in that direction? Playing a game that equals a small car accident on each play is dangerous to begin with. Also, commitment to a team weights heavy from a fan side, and should on a coaches side. Anyone can say what they want. Quitting on your team defeats the competitive mindset at any point. That same team was in the trenches with the ones who quit during their time in school both on and off the field. The school took on the financial obligation to help said players to even have a chance to reach their goals in life. If it becomes normal to sit the elite for non title games, then how many people will pay to watch? I see both sides, but one side has quitters and it doesnt look good
Correct, the school took on the "financial obligation" for these kids. And the kids then took advantage and made the school/staff a whole bunch of money and set them up for future success in regards to recruiting/exposure.

The topic at hand is regarding sitting out a bowl game, not regular season games. Here's a good story on bowl games.

Already a bunch of talk about increasing the College Football Playoff, which would bring in more $ and more viewers.

Correct, the school took on the "financial obligation" for these kids. And the kids then took advantage and made the school/staff a whole bunch of money and set them up for future success in regards to recruiting/exposure.

The topic at hand is regarding sitting out a bowl game, not regular season games. Here's a good story on bowl games.

Already a bunch of talk about increasing the College Football Playoff, which would bring in more $ and more viewers.

They topic is on kids quitting, which happened to be a bowl game. You know, that thing that happens at the end of the year that gives a school a chance at prestige and looks good to future recruits.
I fully understand protecting oneself. But dont be hurt when it upsets fans when you literally bail on your team. And yes, this will eventually trickle into regular season games.

They topic is on kids quitting, which happened to be a bowl game. You know, that thing that happens at the end of the year that gives a school a chance at prestige and looks good to future recruits.
I fully understand protecting oneself. But dont be hurt when it upsets fans when you literally bail on your team. And yes, this will eventually trickle into regular season games.
Well aware of what a bowl game is, feel free to click on that story I provided and give it a read. I believe an expansion to the playoff will come sooner rather than later. Oh I'm not hurt, just explaining that it's easy to criticize another persons decisions when it's not your future on the line, that's all.

Several people on blitz have had this conversation with him. He's never consistent with his answers, so don't expect one here.

Several people on blitz have had this conversation with him. He's never consistent with his answers, so don't expect one here.
I'm always consistent, you just don't like the answers. Regardless of what decisions these kids make, I'm not going to lose sleep. I'll still be here rooting for the program and the kids. You seem to really like fighting on here or the political forums. Go Heels.

I'm always consistent, you just don't like the answers. Regardless of what decisions these kids make, I'm not going to lose sleep. I'll still be here rooting for the program and the kids. You seem to really like fighting on here or the political forums. Go Heels.
You can always tell when someone is losing a debate when they bring out the "you're just fighting/arguing line. It's especially funny coming from you since you came to a board you almost never post on to start the "fight."

Reactions: Grayhead
You can always tell when someone is losing a debate when they bring out the "you're just fighting/arguing line. It's especially funny coming from you since you came to a board you almost never post on to start the "fight."
Yes, I'm losing on this "debate". LMAO. How is it a debate, exactly? I'm merely explaining the situations each of the kids faced prior to their decisions. As well as providing stories on said "debate". Well, I saw you and your boys commenting the same jargon as before, so I figured I'd hop back on the ride for a refresher course. Go Heels.

Yes, I'm losing on this "debate". LMAO. How is it a debate, exactly? I'm merely explaining the situations each of the kids faced prior to their decisions. As well as providing stories on said "debate". Well, I saw you and your boys commenting the same jargon as before, so I figured I'd hop back on the ride for a refresher course. Go Heels.

Look, I'm sure the players appreciate you going to bat for them. And I'm sure they don't give a shit what we think of them now that they're gone anyway. But you will not convince me and many other fans that they didn't quit on their team in a potentially big moment for the program. Sure, they made the university a lot of money. But the University also made them a lot of money. If Javonte Williams doesn't play college ball, he's a nobody. If he plays elsewhere, who knows if he has the same numbers. I kind of doubt it. He got world class training at world class facilities, showered with care and attention...and he didn't pay a damn cent for it. Don't act like these guys did the program a favor.

The idea of the scholarship is that it's mutually beneficial to both parties. Those guys get the training they couldn't get anywhere else and prepped for their career as a professional athlete, oh yeah,...and a free education, as much as they want to take advantage of that. And the school gets a good player for its team and the exposure that player contributes to. There should be some obligation for both parties. What if the school pulled a kid's scholarship with one semester left to graduation? That'd be kind of shitty, right?

Look, I'm sure the players appreciate you going to bat for them. And I'm sure they don't give a shit what we think of them now that they're gone anyway. But you will not convince me and many other fans that they didn't quit on their team in a potentially big moment for the program. Sure, they made the university a lot of money. But the University also made them a lot of money. If Javonte Williams doesn't play college ball, he's a nobody. If he plays elsewhere, who knows if he has the same numbers. I kind of doubt it. He got world class training at world class facilities, showered with care and attention...and he didn't pay a damn cent for it. Don't act like these guys did the program a favor.

The idea of the scholarship is that it's mutually beneficial to both parties. Those guys get the training they couldn't get anywhere else and prepped for their career as a professional athlete, oh yeah,...and a free education, as much as they want to take advantage of that. And the school gets a good player for its team and the exposure that player contributes to. There should be some obligation for both parties. What if the school pulled a kid's scholarship with one semester left to graduation? That'd be kind of shitty, right?
Preach!!!!

I get what you're saying but I think your comparison of sitting out a game and pulling a scholarship isn't an apples to apples comparison.

Williams wanted to go to UNC and Fedora found out and said what the hell, turned out to be a pretty good decision. The other players were all highly recruited and could've gone to bigger schools with fancier facilities etc. Glad they all chose to be Tar Heels.

Look, I'd love for all of them to have played in the Orange Bowl as I wanted them to win that game as much as the next die-hard fan. For myself, I just find it difficult to really fault someone's decision one way or another when it comes to their future and what is best for them. They didn't grow up UNC fans, they chose UNC to help chase their dream of being a professional athlete. It's easy to say well I'd give my appendage to play for in the Orange Bowl or whatever game etc. I get both sides of this thing. Like I said, I just have a hard time really chastising a kid when I'm not in their shoes and it's not my future.

The playing in the the senior bowl afterwards is a legit gripe, although I thought the senior bowl wasn't played at 100% hit/speed rate like the orange bowl is (maybe not quite to the NFL pro bowl level of softness). I never watch it though so I don't know.

Opting out of a meaningless bowl game is not the same as opting out of a season at all though. When you still have a shot of making the CFP, the season still actually matters. Sam opting out after our second loss this year would be the comparison, IMO.

Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
The playing in the the senior bowl afterwards is a legit gripe, although I thought the senior bowl wasn't played at 100% hit/speed rate like the orange bowl is (maybe not quite to the NFL pro bowl level of softness). I never watch it though so I don't know.

Opting out of a meaningless bowl game is not the same as opting out of a season at all though. When you still have a shot of making the CFP, the season still actually matters. Sam opting out after our second loss this year would be the comparison, IMO.
Hello. Welcome to yesterday.

(But you're wrong about it being a meaningless bowl game for our program)

It's definitely money before team for all of them. I don't fault them for not "being honest" and saying that, because who really cares what they say?

True that Sam will be a first round pick either way. But the money difference between pick 5 and pick 25 is substantial. He needs to play to be a top 5 pick, for sure.

Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
saw this from a buddy of mine...

worst qb:

brady
stabauch
p manning
marino
montana
elway
favre
My rank 'em would be:

Brady
Montana
Manning
Marino
Elway
Favre

Staubach was before my time so I should probably omit him.

I essentially have Stone Cold Winners ahead of quintessential QB stat monsters ahead of scrappy gunslingers.

My rank 'em would be:

Brady
Montana
Manning
Marino
Elway
Favre

I essentially have Stone Cold Winners ahead of quintessential QB stat monsters ahead of scrappy gunslingers.

Favre and Elway both ahead of Marino. I like Dan, but he’s overrated. Played poorly in the biggest games.

My rank 'em would be:

Brady
Montana
Manning
Marino
Elway
Favre

so you’re saying of the seven, favre is the worst because you’re omitting roger.

Reactions: Heelicious
yo @Heelicious cows are on hard knocks this year on hbo…camp videos look pretty good, defense anyway.

if they stay healthy up front, i could see a run.
I am pretty optimistic, but they have fooled me so much the last couple years, I am setting low expectations and hoping to be positively surprised (for the first time since the mid-90s - LOL)

I didn't watch much of the HOF game...seems few of the starters got much or any time at all, but I guess Micah Parsons looks like the real deal.

Zeke is in way better shape and has had individual coaching by a RB specialist over the last year so I think he'll have a much better year this year.

I think Dak could have a big year and they are set at WR (not so much at TE). All three guys back healthy on left side of O line (I think) will be a big step up, too if they can stay healthy.

The defense is such a wild card, but I don't see how they don't make a big step up from last year. Even if they get to middle of the pack, their offense then would be enough to at least win their division, and maybe contend for NFC title.

Season predictions:

nfc:
rams
packers
bucs
cowboys
cardinals
saints
bears

afc:
chiefs
browns