ADVERTISEMENT

NIT only 16 teams this year

You don't think the NIT would kill to get dook, ky and mich state? Throw in Indiana or Syracuse for some local interest and they could outdraw ncaa FF in the ratings.
Think of it from the point of view of the advertisers. Would you pay the usual rates for advertising time in a tournament without Kentucky or Duke?

Even though UK probably can't be in the NCAAT without winning the SECT, I imagine the NIT folks have already promised them a berth.

Duke has an easier road. Even though they have tough games against a surging Ga Tech and an erratic UNC, they could win both. And they are always good in the ACCT.

I'll be surprised if Duke isn't in the NCAAT. But obviously they need to take care of business.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
We are in the same boat as Duke. Gotta win, no room for a loss without a solid run in the ACC tourney.

Meanwhile, NC State looks to finish the regular season on a 5-game winning streak. Beating ND now, and their final game (and probable loss) at Va Tech has been cancelled.

If they don't embarrass themselves in the ACCT, is that good enough for a bid from the NIT?

If we beat Duke, NC State will actually finish higher than Duke (and should probably earn a first-round bye in the ACCT). Otherwise Duke edges them out for the bye because they won the regular season matchup.

Ha. As soon as I wrote that, ND starts fouling and State misses the front end on 3 straight trips to the free throw line.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Who cares what the NIT does? The NIT has basically been an afterthought ever since the NCAA expanded past 32 years ago. And if you can't go to the NCAA what is the point? Just pack up the uniforms and look towards next year

Who cares what the NIT does? The NIT has basically been an afterthought ever since the NCAA expanded past 32 years ago. And if you can't go to the NCAA what is the point? Just pack up the uniforms and look towards next year
It's extra practices to prepare for next year.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Actually, the NIT can be an important experience for young teams that are looking to get a bid to the big dance the next year. While that is less important for programs like ours, if you man up to the experience it can prove to be a wise choice in time.

By the way, is it too late to schedule Miami to play tonight say at midnight so we can get a W for our record resume? Should be enough time to rest up for the Dukies.

I don't think Miami could do anything but hurt. Not sure what tier they are in, but I would bet low. A win against that tier does nothing, but a loss is very detrimental.

Actually, the NIT can be an important experience for young teams that are looking to get a bid to the big dance the next year. While that is less important for programs like ours, if you man up to the experience it can prove to be a wise choice in time.

With the fluid personnel situation college basketball has become, I don't think it helps a bit. Now it might be a positive experience say for a team out of a lower level like the Solon. But a Power 5 team that had NCAA aspirations, it is a huge let down in which I am sure most players would rather go on spring break. It is barely covered by the press because nobody cares. I can remember years ago when South Carolina won the NIT two years in a row with promises that those experiences would be a spring board for the program. A couple years later, Dave Odom was fired. It accomplished nothing.

Our 2010 team being an excellent case in point. Finishing 4-1 in the NIT - after a demoralizing 16-15 regular season and a first round exit from the ACCT - put us on a positive trajectory for the next year.

A lot of us didn't think we deserved to be in the NIT, but I think all of us were delighted to see what looked like a sinking ship right itself. Plus, being able to watch more games is always good for us lunatic fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT