ADVERTISEMENT

Ok, so I Lied

Tarheel75

All-ACC
Oct 8, 2018
I told dadika in another post that I was not going to make any post game comments, but I can't stand it. I present the following list of stupidity.....

1. Cole should have been limited to less than 20 minutes.., maybe 15 at the most? Why, because he stopped the flow of rhythm that was beginning to build from the 1st half on. The others did exactly what has caused issues with this team in the past, they stood around and watched and waited for Cole to make the play.
2. Live ball TO's -by my count there were 6, and on each one I thought Roy was going to snatch himself bald headed.
3. Missed FT's- Garrison just hits 2 of his 7 misses, we win.
4. Jamie Luckie can suck my you know what. Stupid bastard. In my row was a retired former college official that we all know, who has a grand daughter who is a freshman this year. I got his attention after the game and asked him if that was a legitimate foul on BRob, and he said no way, the offensive player jumped into the defensive player, and at worst should have been a no-call. Luckie, you F__King prick. He is absolutely the worst , and isn't he the director of the officials for the entire ACC?
5. Don't know what you folks think, but Cole Anthony is not a very effective defender, and his injury has nothing to do with it, he has been ho-hum all year when he did play pre injury.
6. We out scored them by 2 points in the paint, 9 to 8 on 2nd chance points, lost the fast break battle 13 to 8, but hey, we beat them in bench scoring 30-28, big damn deal. Oh and we had the advantage on TO's 12 to 15.... whoopie. Out rebounded them 42 to 35 to no avail.
7. Don't even get me started on the end game play.

I have just about had it with this group of offensively anemic idiots, who make the same mistakes from game #1 to game # 21. We were beginning to show a little spark of life up until tonight and Roy let Cole put it out.

Ok, I have finished my rant and I actually am still boiling mad. You can certainly agree or disagree with this post, I do not care. I have to call it as I witnessed it live.

Last edited:
Luckie is garbage. He learned from Karl Hess, also garbage. Is Kersey still head of ACC Officiating? He is also garbage.

But we got a TON of tries from the FT line. Shot 71% as a team.Refs didn't kill us in this one at all. 4-19 from downtown is what killed us. 21.1%. Awful.

Ok, I have finished my rant and I actually am still boiling mad. You can certainly agree or disagree
with this post, I do not care. I have to call it as I witnessed it live.

Can't find any fault with that .. pretty much called it as it was. For whatever reason when Cole is on the floor everyone else goes bball stupid. And Bacot is pretty much bball stupid whether Cole is there or not. Cole coming back did exactly what I thought it would. He basically erased everything this team had learned about playing as a team and made everyone and their brother look at Cole .. and that includes BC . And that last play of the game Roy should have called a time out cause there was a charlie foxtrot developing on the court before the ball was even handed to the UNC player. No problem with your assessment 75 .. is what it is. jmho

Luckie is garbage. He learned from Karl Hess, also garbage. Is Kersey still head of ACC Officiating? He is also garbage.

But we got a TON of tries from the FT line. Shot 71% as a team.Refs didn't kill us in this one at all. 4-19 from downtown is what killed us. 21.1%. Awful.

Yes, it's Kersey, thank God. I was not sure. Thanks.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I told dadika in another post that I was not going to make any post game comments, but I can't stand it. I present the following list of stupidity.....

1. Cole should have been limited to less than 20 minutes.., maybe 15 at the most? Why, because he stopped the flow of rhythm that was beginning to build from the 1st half on. The others did exactly what has caused issues with this team in the past, they stood around and watched and waited for Cole to make the play.
2. Live ball TO's -by my count there were 6, and on each one I thought Roy was going to snatch himself bald headed.
3. Missed FT's- Garrison just hits 2 of his 7 misses, we win.
4. Jamie Luckie can suck my you know what. Stupid bastard. In my row was a retired former college official that we all know, who has a grand daughter who is a freshman this year. I got his attention after the game and asked him if that was a legitimate foul on BRob, and he said no way, the offensive player jumped into the defensive player, and at worst should have been a no-call. Luckie, you F__King prick. He is absolutely the worst , and isn't he the director of the officials for the entire ACC?
5. Don't know what you folks think, but Cole Anthony is not a very effective defender, and his injury has nothing to do with it, he has been ho-hum all year when he did play pre injury.
6. We out scored them by 2 points in the paint, 9 to 8 on 2nd chance points, lost the fast break battle 13 to 8, but hey, we beat them in bench scoring 30-28, big damn deal. Oh and we had the advantage on TO's 12 to 15.... whoopie. Out rebounded them 42 to 35 to no avail.
7. Don't even get me started on the end game play.

I have just about had it with this group of offensively anemic idiots, who make the same mistakes from game #1 to game # 21. We were beginning to show a little spark of life up until tonight and Roy let Cole put it out.

Ok, I have finished my rant and I actually am still boiling mad. You can certainly agree or disagree with this post, I do not care. I have to call it as I witnessed it live.

Good post.

Agree with most everything you said but not think you are wrong on Cole Anthony offensively. I certainly think there’s an acclimation period with him coming back after 11 games out but Cole Anthony has nothing to do with BRob taking poor shots and passing up open looks, Leaky not being able to feed the post without throwing it to the other team, Platek getting lost a few times on defense in key spots and Brooks playing his worst game in month. With and without Cole, we have NOT been good offensively. I’ll also say that Roy has done an absolutely shitty job with this team in terms of game management. The discussion around excuses can be made about why we have what we have but the reality is this team is EXTREMELY low on talent and even lower on basketball IQ. You can be below average and play hard and smart and be serviceable. You can not however be terrible and stupid. It’s a recipe for disaster. We are seriously talking about losing to a shitty ass BC team at home. That’s how bad we are this year. Pure T ****ing trash.

Reactions: Tarheel75
And the foul on the 3 was a bullshit call. The whole world knows it but it’s certainly par for the course this season. I’ve never in my life been more ready for a UNC basketball season and a collection of kids to graduate.

Francis even gave up a 4-point play in his 30-seconds on the floor.

Cole’s fault there too I’m sure. Also his fault when Bacot threw away the in bounds pass under 2 mins. You’d think we were playing so well without Cole. Again, the last few wins were fools gold against other bottom feeders. We are who we are.

That was infuriating! Just dumb basketball over and over!

Honest to God, I can support a marginally talented team who gives it their all and simply gets beat consistently by better teams but this team is marginally talented and EASILY the dumbest team we have ever had. Just a bunch of idiots running around like chickens with their heads cut off while Roy stands there with his arms crossed like the mediocre in game coach that he is.

Reactions: Heelicious
Agree with most everything you said but not think you are wrong on Cole Anthony offensively. I certainly think there’s an acclimation period with him coming back after 11 games out but Cole Anthony has nothing to do with BRob taking poor shots and passing up open looks, Leaky not being able to feed the post without throwing it to the other team, Platek getting lost a few times on defense in key spots and Brooks playing his worst game in month. With and without Cole, we have NOT been good offensively. I’ll also say that Roy has done an absolutely shitty job with this team in terms of game management. The discussion around excuses can be made about why we have what we have but the reality is this team is EXTREMELY low on talent and even lower on basketball IQ. You can be below average and play hard and smart and be serviceable. You can not however be terrible and stupid. It’s a recipe for disaster. We are seriously talking about losing to a shitty ass BC team at home. That’s how bad we are this year. Pure T ****ing trash.

Reread my next to last paragraph GoN. Been as you mentioned in your post from game #1 to Game #21.

I said it in another thread, that I’ll know everything I need to know after 2/22. I thought they had to win the ACCT before Cole came back and I obviously still feel that way. I’m not expecting to get a W against FSU or Dook, but I think this team will have had enough time with Anthony back in the lineup by 2/22, to tell us whether or not they can make a run in the ACCT.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Talent level too low and team overall just dumb as hell.
And that succinctly sums up the season.
giphy.gif

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
I agree with the original post in its entirety. Trying to think of something positive. Francis made a nice drive to the basket for a layup. Somebody mentioned the 4 point play he gave up. He did indeed. At least it was a mistake of effort

Brooks looked to be pouting the whole game. He missed a lot of bunnies. Couldn’t make a FT. I have never seen so many stupid turnovers. I swear a couple of those the player already made the cut the other direction and they made the pass. Open your f’ing eyes. Bascot fouling 30ft from the basket. He just can’t figure it out.

I can’t stand Cornette announcing our games. Not a fan of his. Not sure how he could say Rob hit his hand. You couldn’t see that if anything it look like he didn’t.

I knew they would struggle with Cole coming back. Watched it happen with the Pacers this week with Victor Olidepo coming back after a year off. But I didn’t think they would just stand around and watch and have horrible low IQ turnovers. I don’t get too upset with Roy not calling TOs. But that was a shit show with nothing happening on the last possession. Still had plenty of time to call a TO and setup a play when they doubled Cole. How do you not try to get Thornton fouled out of the game?

Reactions: Lydia green
Cole’s fault there too I’m sure. Also his fault when Bacot threw away the in bounds pass under 2 mins. You’d think we were playing so well without Cole. Again, the last few wins were fools gold against other bottom feeders. We are who we are.

There were a lot of dumb plays in the games. Plenty of blame to go around.

Brooks looked to be pouting the whole game. He missed a lot of bunnies. Couldn’t make a FT. I have never seen so many stupid turnovers. I swear a couple of those the player already made the cut the other direction and they made the pass. Open your f’ing eyes. Bascot fouling 30ft from the basket. He just can’t figure it out.

I can’t stand Cornette announcing our games. Not a fan of his. Not sure how he could say Rob hit his hand. You couldn’t see that if anything it look like he didn’t.

I knew they would struggle with Cole coming back. Watched it happen with the Pacers this week with Victor Olidepo coming back after a year off. But I didn’t think they would just stand around and watch and have horrible low IQ turnovers. I don’t get too upset with Roy not calling TOs. But that was a shit show with nothing happening on the last possession. Still had plenty of time to call a TO and setup a play when they doubled Cole. How do you not try to get Thornton fouled out of the game?

so you’re saying that brooks was pouting are you saying he isn’t happy that Cole is back?

Go back and rewatch the game. Jamie Luckey helped BC every chance he could. I mentioned it at halftime of the game thread. He bumped the BC head coach as he was heading to the lockerroom. He couldn't wait to blow the whistle on that last BC offensive possession. Everyone in America knows that wasn't a foul on the last BC possession. Does anyone think he would make that call at Cameron?

Cole was +11, let's not act like he was the problem.

Cole isnt a problem from a stats issue. He is a good player, and should make a lot of money in the NBA. To this point, his best asset has been his first step, and being able to get to the foul line. But it's just how the team reacts when he is in the game. Take Saturday for instance. They still weren't shooting the eyes out of it, but were pounding the ball inside effectively and things seemed to be flowing. Then when Cole came in, that seemed to immediately stop as it was almost like Cole had decided that he was going to single handedly show the world that his presence would lead the team back to an NCAA bid. Cole did well offensively, but the rest of the team went into a total funk as the they seemed to take it for granted that Cole was coming down and going one on five so they just stood around and watched. It's almost like they know that Cole has a license to do whatever he wants offensively so they dont give the effort off the ball they do without him. Not blaming things on Cole, but that is what has been seen before, and what I saw yesterday. This year's squad is just dysfunctional. They dont seem to have a very high basketball IQ. Dont think I have ever seen a UNC team that made passes more casually, or attempt passes from impossible angles. Then you get to the defensive side. In truth, it was an issue the last couple of years, but even worse this year, and that is that this team lacks any lateral quickness. Opponents can just drive the ball at will. Combine the above with a team that can go long stretches without hitting a shot and you have what you see before you this year. From players fulfilling potential, to injuries, to styles that dont compliment each other, it is just one of those years where everything that can go wrong, has gone wrong. Am sure Roy is more frustrated than anyone on here. The guy didnt suddenly forget how to coach, but nothing works this year.

So Midline, you slept on your frustrations and then produced comments that hit the nail right on the head with every word. The mistakes we make on offense and defense are so fundamental that little kid coaches would be tearing their hair out. In 44 years of Carolina hoops fandom, no team has frustrated me more. We lack so much BB IQ that even effort can't make up for it anymore.
I hope we can win a few more games, maybe even against some ACC top-feeders; but my expectations have been seriously tempered. :(

Point a minute. 24 min 24 pts.
Need our bigs to show up and show out. Nope.
21 % from 3 will lose a lot of games.
Frustrating.

Yep, and on only 14 shots - some here blaming Cole are just wrong. If Brooks just goes 2 for 7 from the line we win.

Roy has left me scratching my head this season more times than I can ever remember from other seasons combined. Less talent plus injuries plus uncharacteristically bad coaching will cause exactly what we are seeing this season.

Well..., apparently, I'm an idiot according to Roy post game. He said, speaking of Cole, " anyone who thinks he made us play poorly, their an idiot".
Well wrap your head with cellophane and stamp "sucker" on your forehead if you buy that. Because, not long before making that statement he mentioned that both Garrison & Bacot stopped moving. Well...duh!

The strange thing about that, is that it coincided with the entry of Cole into game. I call BS on Roy, it's coach speak and he knows it. I am still pissed about it and I disagree with him. That statement was actually unnecessary by him, he said it to deflect the obvious and protect Cole.

I am not making any effort to disparage Cole, as we really need him to help make us a bit better competitors. But if you did not notice the anemic offensive flow that also affected the defense once he came into the game, then disregard this post. As I stated above, I am still sideways with this loss, as we are better than this, and BC, while playing hard, is not a very good team. Kudos to them for their play.

I suspect that there is a divergence of opinions, and I have seen a few.
It's hard right now for most Carolina fans to have any confidence at all
that this team will finish the season above .500. I have said that on numerous occasions in this forum. At this stage of the season, the only hope for any post season opportunity, is to win the ACCT. Although, maybe the NIT would take us if we finish somewhere close to .500.

There is no greater Carolina fan than me, ( hey, I know we all say that) I live and die with all of our athletic programs, but...there comes a time for honesty and if I am going to make that a mantra, then I have to honestly say, that this team has very little hope of success for the remainder of this season. I was hoping that Cole would not play until Monday against FSU. That game is most likely a loss, so working Cole back in to acclimate him to the rest, would have been the better choice, and that's only my opinion.

I would not be surprised if we give dook a real tussle next Saturday, but I feel, we will loose that one as well, and we are closing in fast on double digit losses in conference play. Crazy positive things sometimes happen, just not with our bunch.It has been "the perfect shit storm".

Hey, and I'm still pissed about this game, and I am normally not this way. But..., enough is enough already.

ETA: I forgot to mention this thought, I believe we would have won that game last night if Cole had not played. Yes, I know he had the points and all, but think back to the last 2 games and remember how we were showing some life offensively and shooting decently, what happened?

Last edited:
Reactions: CJBlue
We are dreaming and hoping our dreams come true.

Cole has the perfect game for the NBA but is not suited for the team-oriented college team like UNC. He will be a NBA All Star.

The reputation that he had in high school as a ball-dominant player is true and it's reflected in his play at UNC. That last play last night was classic NBA. He had to be the man.

He also is very poor defensively which is classic NBA. His defensive effort last night was pathetic. I don't think he is 100%.

He could single-handedly lead the Heels to the Dance, but he will piss off many people doing it.

We are dreaming and hoping our dreams come true.

Cole has the perfect game for the NBA but is not suited for the team-oriented college team like UNC. He will be a NBA All Star.

The reputation that he had in high school as a ball-dominant player is true and it's reflected in his play at UNC. That last play last night was classic NBA. He had to be the man.

He also is very poor defensively which is classic NBA. His defensive effort last night was pathetic. I don't think he is 100%.

He could single-handedly lead the Heels to the Dance, but he will piss off many people doing it.

Nope, his defense has not changed appreciably at all this year, his defense has been below par in any game he has played. It is what it is.

Well..., apparently, I'm an idiot according to Roy post game. He said, speaking of Cole, " anyone who thinks he made us play poorly, their an idiot".
Well wrap your head with cellophane and stamp "sucker" on your forehead if you buy that. Because, not long before making that statement he mentioned that both Garrison & Bacot stopped moving. Well...duh!

The strange thing about that, is that it coincided with the entry of Cole into game. I call BS on Roy, it's coach speak and he knows it. I am still pissed about it and I disagree with him. That statement was actually unnecessary by him, he said it to deflect the obvious and protect Cole.

I am not making any effort to disparage Cole, as we really need him to help make us a bit better competitors. But if the you did not notice the anemic offensive flow that also affected the defense once he came into the game, then disregard this post. As I stated above, I am still sideways with this loss, as we are better than this, and BC, while playing hard, is not a very good team. Kudos to them for their play.

I suspect that there is a divergence of opinions, and I have seen a few.
It's hard right now for most Carolina fans to have any confidence at all
that this team will finish the season above .500. I have said that on numerous occasions in this forum. At this stage of the season, the only hope for any post season opportunity, is to win the ACCT. Although, maybe the NIT would take us if we finish somewhere close to .500.

There is no greater Carolina fan than me, ( hey, I know we all say that) I live and die with all of our athletic programs, but...there comes a time for honesty and if I am going to make that a mantra, then I have to honestly say, that this team has very little hope of success for the remainder of this season. I was hoping that Cole would not play until Monday against FSU. That game is most likely a loss, so working Cole back in to acclimate him to the rest, would have been the better choice, and that's only my opinion.

I would not be surprised if we give dook a real tussle next Saturday, but I feel, we will loose that one as well, and we are closing in fast on double digit losses in conference play. Crazy positive things sometimes happen, just not with our bunch.It has been "the perfect shit storm".

Hey, and I'm still pissed about this game, and I am normally not this way. But..., enough is enough already.

ETA: I forgot to mention this thought, I believe we would have won that game last night if Cole had not played. Yes, I know he had the points and all, but think back to the last 2 games and remember how we were showing some life offensively and shooting decently, what happened?

Cole was +11. Not Cole was -12.

We all bitch about FT shooting. Cole FT 14-14. Not Cole FT 8-17.

Sorry if Cole doesn’t coincide with the spacing you’d like but you saying we’d win without Cole when we lost by 12 last night with him on the bench is factually incorrect.

Last edited:
Cole was +11. Not Cole was -12.

Sorry if Cole doesn’t coincide with the spacing you’d like but you saying we’d win without Cole when we lost by 12 last night with him on the bench is factually incorrect.

Spacing???
Dad, you cannot use transference to support an differing opinion. I don't care about his numbers, what I do care about, is the performance of the team before and after Cole. That's my contention.

Spacing???
Dad, you cannot use transference to support an differing opinion. I don't care about his numbers, what I do care about, is the performance of the team before and after Cole. That's my contention.

Numbers don’t lie dude. Numbers don’t have opinions. Numbers don’t care.

We out scored BC by double digits with Cole on the court last night and we lost by double digits without him.

Glad Roy got one thing right last night with his comments about idiots.

Numbers don’t lie dude. Numbers don’t have opinions. Numbers don’t care.

We out scored BC by double digits with Cole on the court last night and we lost by double digits without him.

Glad Roy got one thing right last night with his comments about idiots.

Yep, I may just be an idiot, but I'm not a blind one who cannot see the differences in last nights game and the 2 previous ones. You can have your opinion and thoughts, I'm not buying them, ok?

Cole isnt a problem from a stats issue. He is a good player, and should make a lot of money in the NBA. To this point, his best asset has been his first step, and being able to get to the foul line. But it's just how the team reacts when he is in the game. Take Saturday for instance. They still weren't shooting the eyes out of it, but were pounding the ball inside effectively and things seemed to be flowing. Then when Cole came in, that seemed to immediately stop as it was almost like Cole had decided that he was going to single handedly show the world that his presence would lead the team back to an NCAA bid. Cole did well offensively, but the rest of the team went into a total funk as the they seemed to take it for granted that Cole was coming down and going one on five so they just stood around and watched. It's almost like they know that Cole has a license to do whatever he wants offensively so they dont give the effort off the ball they do without him. Not blaming things on Cole, but that is what has been seen before, and what I saw yesterday. This year's squad is just dysfunctional. They dont seem to have a very high basketball IQ. Dont think I have ever seen a UNC team that made passes more casually, or attempt passes from impossible angles. Then you get to the defensive side. In truth, it was an issue the last couple of years, but even worse this year, and that is that this team lacks any lateral quickness. Opponents can just drive the ball at will. Combine the above with a team that can go long stretches without hitting a shot and you have what you see before you this year. From players fulfilling potential, to injuries, to styles that dont compliment each other, it is just one of those years where everything that can go wrong, has gone wrong. Am sure Roy is more frustrated than anyone on here. The guy didnt suddenly forget how to coach, but nothing works this year.

Late in this game, it was a 1Pt UNC lead, we needed a stop, I think I recall correctly, 4 trips in a row BC has the ball. It is spread out the court, Cole isolated defensively on their guard, guard gets a step on Cole and drives to the high pick, Cole goes under and bam, wide open easy jumpers off the high pick. Thorton hit 2 or 3 of those late jumpers off this.

Honestly, this is hard for me to wrap my head around, I can understand and spoke to my fear that the adjustment to having Cole back may not be as easy as many seemed to feel. But you, all of you, compare how we were playing in the prior 3 games without Cole and compare that to how we played yesterday. BRob, Brooks, and Bacot were playing very confidently. They were either getting passes deeper in the paint where they could finish or they showed really nice big to big passing once the double jumped in. The brain dead live ball TOs had greatly reduced we had begun hitting jumpers, we looked like a UNC team for the most part. We even started this game yesterday looking like the team we had become rather than the sad sack group we had been then Cole comes ion and all that vanished and we reverted back to watching Cole? It is a chemistry issue for sure and blame lays across the board, not just on Cole but we don't win playing like we did yesterday even had we pulled this one out how we played is not a winning formula.

Not dumping on Cole, he is a big stage freshman and has to learn and really, ya learn more by doing than by watching, no matter where your seat is. I don't really care what the stats say, this team simply has to focus early in games to get Brooks and Bacot cranked up and playing hard and you do that by looking to get them the ball for easy scoring ops.

It is just the way this team is constructed, any UNC possession that comes down to a half court set, one of our bigs MUST touch the ball in the paint or it becomes in my eyes a failed trip, no matter if we hit a out side jumper or not. Roy should mandate a rule, NO JUMP SHOTS UNLESS A UNC BIG MAN TOUCHES THE BALL INSIDE THE PAINT, break that rule and you get pulled no matter how many stars used to be behind your name. Did we make the extra pass even once this game?

Lol @ all the “I’m not dumping on Cole” but I’m going to proceed to dump on Cole for the entire post.

11-31 and 1-8 from the line for Platek, Brooks, and BRob last night for a combined 25 points last night with a starkly negative + / - but we are bitching about Cole?

This season to me boils down to:

- Easily the lowest IQ team I have witnessed at UNC since Roy came back.

- Inability to shoot the ball at a high percentage.

- uncharacteristically poor coaching decisions.

- lack of talent and lack of development of these players.

All of this equals the horrible year we’ve seen. There is always been a perception that Roy needs talent to win and that he needs experienced talent to win championships. Without going into that debate, I am interested in seeing how he does with a ton of inexperienced talent next year. He will certainly have the talent but will lack experienced talent. I think we will be pretty good but certainly will lose games we shouldn’t.

Lol @ all the “I’m not dumping on Cole” but I’m going to proceed to dump on Cole for the entire post.

11-31 and 1-8 from the line for Platek, Brooks, and BRob last night for a combined 25 points last night with a starkly negative + / - but we are bitching about Cole?

Not so much bitching as, pointing out the differences in how the team played without him and with him. We need Cole, I get that, I have stated
it unequivocally, but I will not back away from the fact that we have reverted back to the style of play that has turned us back into the offensive sloth that we were previously. Just wish he had not played last night and waited for the FSU game where it would have been less noticeable and the reincorporation to the team would have been easier, JMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT