ADVERTISEMENT

Olympics sports?

DSouthr

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2002
First, l already know, I am both going to piss a lot of folks off with this as well as inspire folks to remind me, this is not the board for us to address this. OK, front and center, this is very much a sports topic, it may not be a college basketball topic but it is about todays athletes and what is and isn't (as it seems anyway) important to them.

Now days to this poster, don't feel I am lone, it seems as much if not more about these people being able to protest than to represent the country that they love. That is the whole spirt of the Olympics, to represent your country. To represent something that is bigger than just you. But these kids seem to believe that in order for them to attain the degree of "wokeness" that they crave, it is vogue today to to show your hate for this country, rather than your love for it. It is to me like a wide receiver more concerned about his end zone dance than actually catching the ball for a TD?

It looks at me, <Look I am woke, look how much I hate the country I am supposed to represent. USA basketball just lost again, this time to France. Thing is our best players have elected to sit this one out rather than represent the country they live in. They are to busy worrying about ME more than WE. Lebron would rater promote his "space jam" nonsense that represent his country OK fine but explain to me why I should ever again care about this guy or what he has to say ever again?

The USA basketball team is being beaten by teams not nearly as talented, women's soccer just lost when it seems that their show of "wokeness" is more important to them than winning for a country they seem to hate?

How am I suppose to cheer for people that hate this country, how do I not celebrate, when those that hate my country lose?

I don't feel 1 bit of support for those athletes . I would rather the Russians win than these woke nut jobs that crave the moment to embarrass the country they are supposed to represent. Some of these athletes are thrilled to represent their country, that pray they can stand on that podium as the star spangle banner is played while yet other USA Olympic athletes seem to hate the country they are supposed to represent, I support and cheer those those that clearly love their country but those that need to make their own greedy statement, that des not represent me, I am good with them NEVER having the ability to take the stand as a winner.

AS much as I hate to say it, USA woman's soccer and men's basketball as 2 that seem to need to share how much they hate this country, I hope they lose...

First, l already know, I am both going to piss a lot of folks off with this as well as inspire folks to remind me, this is not the board for us to address this. OK, front and center, this is very much a sports topic, it may not be a college basketball topic but it is about todays athletes and what is and isn't (as it seems anyway) important to them.

Now days to this poster, don't feel I am lone, it seems as much if not more about these people being able to protest than to represent the country that they love. That is the whole spirt of the Olympics, to represent your country. To represent something that is bigger than just you. But these kids seem to believe that in order for them to attain the degree of "wokeness" that they crave, it is vogue today to to show your hate for this country, rather than your love for it. It is to me like a wide receiver more concerned about his end zone dance than actually catching the ball for a TD?

It looks at me, <Look I am woke, look how much I hate the country I am supposed to represent. USA basketball just lost again, this time to France. Thing is our best players have elected to sit this one out rather than represent the country they live in. They are to busy worrying about ME more than WE. Lebron would rater promote his "space jam" nonsense that represent his country OK fine but explain to me why I should ever again care about this guy or what he has to say ever again?

The USA basketball team is being beaten by teams not nearly as talented, women's soccer just lost when it seems that their show of "wokeness" is more important to them than winning for a country they seem to hate?

How am I suppose to cheer for people that hate this country, how do I not celebrate, when those that hate my country lose?

I don't feel 1 bit of support for those athletes . I would rather the Russians win than these woke nut jobs that crave the moment to embarrass the country they are supposed to represent. Some of these athletes are thrilled to represent their country, that pray they can stand on that podium as the star spangle banner is played while yet other USA Olympic athletes seem to hate the country they are supposed to represent, I support and cheer those those that clearly love their country but those that need to make their own greedy statement, that des not represent me, I am good with them NEVER having the ability to take the stand as a winner.

AS much as I hate to say it, USA woman's soccer and men's basketball as 2 that seem to need to share how much they hate this country, I hope they lose...
If the Olympics were being played in my front yard , I would pull down the shades and crank up the music or TV. Zero interest.

Allow me to be the first to say wrong board. There is a thread about the Olympics on OOTB though. We also have a dedicated political thread, which is probably more fitting than the Olympics thread. Carry on.
It’s difficult to hold a decent conversation on the political thread. In fact, it’s nigh impossible.

Reactions: heelfan1961
surfing? skateboarding? I enjoy watching but please IOC don't add non-olympic sports.
I'm sure "people" felt the same way when the Decathlon and Boxing were added (1904), or Women's Swimming (1912), etc.

I'm sure "people" felt the same way when the Decathlon and Boxing were added (1904), or Women's Swimming (1912), etc.
And some of those born in 1900 felt the same way in 1968 with Tommie Smith and John Carlos that Dave, Arch, keryosay, etc feel about some current athletes. I’m sure you could find some idiot writing to his local newspaper in 1968 the same opinion as the olds in this thread.

And some of those born in 1880 were horrified that Jesse Owens was representing us against Hitler.

The old guys complaining train is never late when it comes to things like this. I didn’t even have to open the thread to know what the opinion would be when I saw the title and the OP.

Rooting for Russia over the USA though? Whew, I’m glad Reagan isn’t alive to see this one.

Reactions: Kadyn930
I will respond as to the sports side of the post. Pop has a bad team for international play. FIBA rules allow for lots of contact. NBA game is not played that way anymore. Team USA can still roll the ball out and play IF they have the best players. If you do not have that top tier talent you better have a team used to playing together in a system they know. I will not be surprised if they win another gold or don't make it medal play. Worst part is how many people will use this team's struggles to praise k.

Speaking only for myself, this old white dude used to love the Olympics. Unfortunately, just like college basketball, it has changed from what I used to enjoy. The '92 Dream Team was great, but I preferred watching the '76 team (truly a Tar Heel dream team) or the '84 team. The '80 hockey team was awesome.

Now the stories leading up the Olympics are how the New Zealand weightlifter who was a guy is now competing as a girl, or the track athlete who turns her back on the flag on the podium.

In my mind wearing a jersey with "USA" on it just doesn't have the same prestige for many athletes today.

Your obsession with “old white dudes” is creepy. Did one steal your girlfriend or perhaps whip your arse? You contribute nothing but ignorance to the board. Maybe when you‘re older, you will have gained some wisdom, but I doubt it!

Do I think it's incredibly lame that certain AMERICANS won't root for this awesome moment because she may have once supported something that you don't like? Why yes, I do. Does it usually tend to be older white males that take offense to athletes taking a stand against something? Why yes, yes it is.

Rooting for some Russian over this girl or any other American athlete is awful.

Also, I thought you were done with UNC? Why are you still here?

Do I think it's incredibly lame that certain AMERICANS won't root for this awesome moment because she may have once supported something that you don't like? Why yes, I do. Does it usually tend to be older white males that take offense to athletes taking a stand against something? Why yes, yes it is.

Katie Zaferes is only the third US triathlete in history to win a medal when she won the bronze. She lives in Cary, which is right down the road from me (and Chapel Hill). Her father died three months ago and she talked about seeing a sign from him during the race. Thought that was pretty cool.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/he-wo...ional-moment-after-bronze-medal-win/19793079/

Oh, little boy. If I want to stop posting here, I will. If I continue to post until I’m a “very old white guy”, you’ll have no say in the matter.

Root for or against whomever you feel. If it is as a protest against US teams/team because you dislike some of the American's actions or stances, and you would like to stop that aspect, well, it seems that the two divergent sides at least agree in protesting or condemning what they see as harmful even if it is the USA who is doing it.

And some of those born in 1900 felt the same way in 1968 with Tommie Smith and John Carlos that Dave, Arch, keryosay, etc feel about some current athletes. I’m sure you could find some idiot writing to his local newspaper in 1968 the same opinion as the olds in this thread.

And some of those born in 1880 were horrified that Jesse Owens was representing us against Hitler.

The old guys complaining train is never late when it comes to things like this. I didn’t even have to open the thread to know what the opinion would be when I saw the title and the OP.

Rooting for Russia over the USA though? Whew, I’m glad Reagan isn’t alive to see this one.
WoW, what a cheap argument, you want to lessen me because I hold an opinion, an opinion you spend no time arguing against so you insult me to make your own self feel better, like you are the only acceptable opinion and anyone that does not lock step agree with you, the mightly dadika is flawed? I offered my opinion, did not require you to have the common sense or the love for this country to understand it, much less understand it.

How dare you use Jesse Owens to so feebly try to present your straw man pile of fodder. Jesse Owens was a great AMERICAN athlete that represented this country in legendary manner in front of Nazi Germany, those that hate this country should not even be allowed to speak that mans name. And Ronald Regan, don't, just don't even try, Ronald Regan, one of the greatest American presidents EVER would agree with me and he would feel nothing but sadness that his name was being used in such the manner you have attempted to.

I am very proud of the young girl from Alaska that worked so hard and represented her country so well. There is zero way to equate what that young lady did or what Simone Biles tried to do (we should ALL hate the fact that such a wonderful young lady has this injury at such a critical time) but those 2 young women are what the Olympics are about and that not only do I 100% support but have no idea how anyone could feel differently. But woman's soccer, men's basketball, NO and you actually do understand the difference because you are not stupid.

Oh, little boy. If I want to stop posting here, I will. If I continue to post until I’m a “very old white guy”, you’ll have no say in the matter.
Archer, those that do not like your opinions yet are not able to argue against them can not be allowed to shut off your ability to express them, not in America. We do not live in Cuba, as badly as some wish we did. The people in Cuba are fighting against the very thing so many in this country seem hell bent to drag us in to and there has to be voices that stand up and say no, no further, this has to stop!

Nothing, I mean nothing is exciting as watching China vs Japan in ping pong.
I prefer China vs Gump.

mach-3-1-300x173.gif

That ping pong is fast.
As to the original topic, I can recall the highlight of the summer olympics being men's and women's track and field.
Not sure about water skiing.

I flipped through the channels and found ESPN 2 (the screen said ESPN 8) was showing future olympic sports. I saw the following championships: Cherry Pit Spitting, Stone Skipping, Cup Stacking, Cornhole, Pogosticking, Rototiller Racing (yes, that's correct,) Pinball, Air Guitar, and Tag.

Tag was actually pretty cool and looked like it might be fun if I was limber.

The highlight was when they showed an episode of Jelle's Marble Olympics.

I flipped through the channels and found ESPN 2 (the screen said ESPN 8)
It's ESPN the ocho. It's from the movie dodgeball. It's a bold move.
Cherry Pit Spitting, Stone Skipping, Cup Stacking, Cornhole, Pogosticking, Rototiller Racing (yes, that's correct,) Pinball, Air Guitar, and Tag.
Most of those already have professional leagues, so it's not completely crazy.

Reactions: WhatTheHeel?
I'm so sick and tired of having Megan Rapinoe forced down our throat!

When NBC, MSNBC, & the USA Network focused on women's team medal winners, who face did we see Megan Rapinoe plastered next to the USA women's soccer team: Megan Rapinoe's. Like there's NO OTHER women on the team that they could have featured, huh?

When the USA women's basketball team just beat Japan, who did the networks focus on - why Megan Rapinoe and her fiancé sharing a tender moment! Like that's the feature story at that time huh? Must have seen Megan on TV 4 - 5 times during the game. Why?
Seriously, why??

It has become sooooooo fashionable to embrace disrespect it's sickening.

I'll never apologize for this thread.

I love my country.

Sporting events are NOT the place to air your personal views.

Oh, by the way, Free Speech everybody is free for ALL - not just the ahem, people who don't seem to share the MAJORITY'S values & opinions.

OK, front and center, this is very much a sports topic, it may not be a college basketball topic but it is about todays athletes and what is and isn't (as it seems anyway) important to them.
It's as relevant to sports as their choice of deodorant or fast food preferences.

Which is to say, hardly at all, and not in any important way.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Yeah I dont feel the athletes are representing the country but more themselves
I agree that this seems more true than in decades past.

But is it more true than in the recent past?

It also seems to me that those who were taking a knee care more about their country than those who always bitch about that.

Watched a little, to many commercials for me.
It's impossible to watch without DVR.

I also wonder how NBC makes money if nearly everyone is skipping commercials.

I guess maybe a better question is why do businesses pay big bucks to NBC to advertise when they have to know almost nobody actually sees their commercials?

Nike and some others get product placements (the Nike swoosh on uniforms, for example; I can't think of any others). But how much is that worth to NBC?

Oh, by the way, Free Speech everybody is free for ALL - not just the ahem, people who don't seem to share the MAJORITY'S values & opinions.
It's especially important to guarantee the speech of those who are NOT in the majority. The majority doesn't need the help.

ADVERTISEMENT