ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

carolinablue34

Hall of Famer
Apr 21, 2016
Massachusetts
Seeing as our last thread on this subject got locked, it's time to start another one.

How do you guys feel about our chances to land quality big men? Personally I'm more than a little worried about 2017.

2018 I'm more optimistic since we're in a good position for Jairus Hamilton and Zion Williamson.

I think at the end of the day the most important thing will be open PT and we'll have plenty, resulting in one "stud" and one "project" at least.

5 star big men seem to be pie in the sky for now. And i agree, '17 looks rough. I dunno if its neg recruiting re ncaa or what. But there is no denying our successfull recruitment of star big men has fallen off the map. At this point just one would be a huge victory

Reactions: tarheel0910
I can't get into recruiting. I just don't care until they sign. Once they want to be Heels, then I'll learn about 'em, maybe watch a little tape to see what we're getting.

But I'm really excited for this year. Last year was an awesome run, and we got to watch the final effort for a few guys who worked hard, put in time, improved and matured over four seasons, and then got to lead the team in their senior campaign. And this year we get to do it again.

Ya, I have no real idea on recruits - which is pretty much where everyone (except actual insiders) stand, regardless of if they want to admit it or not.

I would hope that with the amount of PT available, and the stable of quality guards that we have lined up for the next bunch of years - that we'd get at least one stud big man to realize that it's a great opportunity for him.

I'll continue to hope that we land all the top recruits that we want/can - but will remain cynical as to our chances until it actually happens - healthier for me that way.

Good thread guys, let's keep it that way.

WAY to many Bigs THINK they are 1 & Done material now. That is one of our issues. Lingering NCAA crap is another.

Looking forward to this season. GO HEELS

Huh- I didn't know a mod could blackball a poaster from just one particular thread, but I have "insufficient privileges" to respond. I wonder who else suffered the same fate?

Reactions: sgrooms
Huh- I didn't know a mod could blackball a poaster from just one particular thread, but I have "insufficient privileges" to respond. I wonder who else suffered the same fate?

Several of you. Mods have mystic powers.

Oh ye of little faith...but Walt stays gone and that thread is in the lake of fire. I shant journey there to retrieve it.

But I could. ;)

Me lol. And they deleted my Mr. T meme which I thought was very clever.

But moving forward, it does seem like landing a big guy is a lot harder these days. What's ironic is that they don't make bigs like they used to. When was the last time you saw anyone remotely as good as Shaq, Olajuwon, Robinson, or Ewing?

Davis, DeAndre Jordan and Karl Anthony Towns are probably the best. But Roy has a huge success rate with college bigs. It must be that many didn't translate to the pros i.e. May and Hansbrough being two examples.

Doesn't I-40 go all the way to California? You really want to claim anything to do with them lib'rul hippies?

I-40 West ceases to exist for me once you hit the New Hanover county line. Then is just becomes the gateway to hell.

Doesn't I-40 go all the way to California? You really want to claim anything to do with them lib'rul hippies?

Yep, sign right out side Bakersfield CA that says Wilmington NC 2,605 miles.

NOW, let's get back to Basketball.

Me lol. And they deleted my Mr. T meme which I thought was very clever.

But moving forward, it does seem like landing a big guy is a lot harder these days. What's ironic is that they don't make bigs like they used to. When was the last time you saw anyone remotely as good as Shaq, Olajuwon, Robinson, or Ewing?

Davis, DeAndre Jordan and Karl Anthony Towns are probably the best. But Roy has a huge success rate with college bigs. It must be that many didn't translate to the pros i.e. May and Hansbrough being two examples.

CB34- we need this thread renamed

I'm gonna need some proof. How about you keep Strum and Chick out of all political threads, even those which haven't yet been created?

If you can do that, I will yield.

Don't tempt an unrighteous Mod. Lightning bolts are cheap.

As far as Strum and Chic...even the devil has advocates.

Basketball. It's basketball.

CB34 I think you have it right. Same thing happened to Duke for years. Guys had good success at the college level but were not stars in the pros. Duke seemed to always be "one big away from dominating" UNC seems to be there. Oh they get good talent that over 3-4 years turn into solid to very good players but they miss that piece that comes in and immediately puts them at the top that year. Its cyclical and will just take one guy to break the cycle, but I don't see it happening until 2018 at the earliest.

CB34 I think you have it right. Same thing happened to Duke for years. Guys had good success at the college level but were not stars in the pros. Duke seemed to always be "one big away from dominating" UNC seems to be there. Oh they get good talent that over 3-4 years turn into solid to very good players but they miss that piece that comes in and immediately puts them at the top that year. Its cyclical and will just take one guy to break the cycle, but I don't see it happening until 2018 at the earliest.

I very much wish for a Wendell Carter or Mohamed Bamba to come to Chapel Hill, but unfortunately I think you're right. For some reason I'm not feeling good vibes on big guys for 2017. I think 2018 and 2019 will see much better results.

I very much wish for a Wendell Carter or Mohamed Bamba to come to Chapel Hill, but unfortunately I think you're right. For some reason I'm not feeling good vibes on big guys for 2017. I think 2018 and 2019 will see much better results.
So much of the recruiting often comes down to who has been pushing the hardest the longest. Obviously bigger name schools like Duke and UNC can jump in later against smaller schools, but when you throw Arizona, UK, KU...etc in there it can be hard to catch up. With the fake classes and potential punishment hanging I feel a lot of people looked to the other schools and due to that interest have gotten more interest back thus putting UNC in the back seat. I also think one issue might be that a lot of the current college players have made it clear they are leaving after one year, or after this year...UNC doesn't have that. The two guys who "might" have left early were Meeks and Jackson but nobody had any clue. Ingram was gone since midway through the season. UKs entire team was saying "I'm out" so both schools could immediately fill that void and sell the recruit on "I want you to fill Ingrams spot" UNC couldn't say the same to people about Meeks or Jackson.

I heard yesterday that Roy and staff have decided against offering Nate Watson . . I have doubts we even get a visit from him.
He played well in the first couple of evaluation periods, but, was unimpressive in the last . . he seemed excited about the chance to play here.

Well for whatever reason we do seem to still recruit pg's and sg's with success and the game is definitely changing to a smaller line up. Lol. Thats the only way coach williams would ever change his "3 bigs and two g's" philosophy...cause he HAS TO! Imo these waif like 6'8 guys that can run the floor but cant shoot a lick (god how many of those have we seen) are about to be cycled out in favor of strong 6'4 ish guys who can shoot the 3. The games changing. Maybe our recruiting woes are a blessing in disguise as we HAVE TO go small and shoot the 3.

Several of you. Mods have mystic powers.

So some posters (me included) were blocked from the thread while others were allowed to post?

Lol that's interesting

You now have insufficient privileges to access my bank card for premium membership fees.

I'm sure my $1200 or so ($10/mo for 11 yrs) will not be missed. But At this point i would rather spend the next $1200 on hookers and blow. Better return on investment and all u know. Nothing personal. Just business.

PEACE OUT!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT