ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

no shortage of theories and advice out there for picking teams but I found these the most interesting trends (all since ‘85)

9 seeds are 6-70 vs 1’s with only two final fours and no titles.

There’s only been 10 upsets in rd of 16 with never more than one in a tourney

While all 4 1’s have made final four only once they still account for 24 of the 38 titles. 2 seeds 5, 3 seeds 4.

No seed lower than 8 has won it

No 5 seed has ever won

There’s an avg of 5 first rd upsets/yr

I don’t even think Mich state beats miss st. But I think to beat this msu team to go to s16 is something I’d sure sign up for. Most metrics show Mich st has no business being in the tourney, let alone an 8 seed.
yah, i’m pulling for mich st…i want no part of hubbard and those grown ass men on that team.

Reactions: Heelicious
the ken pom stat he posted was pretty interesting…i’ll see if i can dig it up.

since 2002, every single national champ has been in the top 40 off/eff and top 25 def/eff…since 2002, only one time a team has been on the outside of the top 20 in either categories, that was 2014 uconn when napier carried them through.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heelicious
BBN putting on a brave front to be excited about their new coach. By the time I came here to post it I had forgotten his name. He led byu to 19 wins I think. An alum at least. And a Mormon. So they gonna reel in some white guys.

BBN putting on a brave front to be excited about their new coach. By the time I came here to post it I had forgotten his name. He led byu to 19 wins I think. An alum at least. And a Mormon. So they gonna reel in some white guys.
Considering the message board chatter indicated a lot of confidence in bringing in Billy Donovan or Dan Hurley or someone of that stature, it will be interesting to see how quickly the wrath of BBN comes down on the new guy.

Their message board was a fun read over the last week. After the happiness from firing Cal it went to shock someone would turn them down, to disbelief that two people would turn them down, to acceptance they were slipping, to WTF with the hire, to he's an alumni so he's great (aka UNC mode).

Reactions: heelmanwilm
Mark Pope is a decent coach apparently. But UK fans are not normal about their sports fandom. He’s already on the hot seat. But, I do appreciate their desire to get back to showcasing UK basketball rather than what Cal had going on there. And I say that irrespective of how one evaluates his success.

Reactions: Archer2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT