ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

If not next year, then definitely the year after.

Interesting to note that Heels natty winners are usually forged during tough seasons / finishes...

82: lost the 81 finals
93: lost in 91 final four to Roy and ku
05: rose from the ashes of 8-20
09: meltdown in 08 final four
17: lost in the 16 finals

21 or 22: will have risen from the ashes of 14-19

Roy still hasn’t really surprised us with a natty yet. We were the favorites every year that we’ve won it with him. Would be fun to win one when we’re not the team everyone expects to win it all.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Roy still hasn’t really surprised us with a natty yet. We were the favorites every year that we’ve won it with him. Would be fun to win one when we’re not the team everyone expects to win it all.
This is nitpicking, I admit, but I'd have to say going into the year 2017, we were probably only expected to make it to Elite 8. Maybe slight favorite once we got to Final Four? We were bigger favorites the previous year (2016) I think

In 2009 we were heads and shoulders above everyone all year.

In 2005 - once we got to the Final Four - it was closely matched, but I'd have given the favorite nod to Illinois. They'd only lost like 1 game all year and were playing in a home game for them in the title game. That was a big surprise to me that we prevailed there....especially when Illinois came all the way back from like a 15 point defecit

This is nitpicking, I admit, but I'd have to say going into the year 2017, we were probably only expected to make it to Elite 8. Maybe slight favorite once we got to Final Four? We were bigger favorites the previous year (2016) I think

In 2005 - once we got to the Final Four - it was closely matched, but I'd have given the favorite nod to Illinois. They'd only lost like 1 game all year and were playing in a home game for them in the title game. That was a big surprise to me that we prevailed there....especially when Illinois came all the way back from like a 15 point defecit
I agree. In 2005 I thought we would lose to those those moving screen-setting, 3 ball shooting dudes from Illinois.

2017 was the redemption tour, but 2016 was more dominant on their march to the finals.

2009.... not much you can say except we came, we saw, and WE KICKED SOME ASS!

I agree. In 2005 I thought we would lose to those those moving screen-setting, 3 ball shooting dudes from Illinois.

2017 was the redemption tour, but 2016 was more dominant on their march to the finals.

2009.... not much you can say except we came, we saw, and WE KICKED SOME ASS!
Perfect assessment!
Every time I watch the 2005 DVR it annoys me / amuses me what a hack Billy Packer was / is.....how outright he was rooting for, basically coaching Illinois as an announcer, never missing a chance to call Heels plays dumb or lazy - a true ABC hater.....

but how he got so aroused during the game at "Illinois GREAT screens....." then somehow someone must've told him those moving screens all game long were blatantly illegal, and that they should be called for fouls. What a worthless hack announcer he was. I wish I could watch the game with Woody announcing it

Perfect assessment!
Every time I watch the 2005 DVR it annoys me / amuses me what a hack Billy Packer was / is.....how outright he was rooting for, basically coaching Illinois as an announcer, never missing a chance to call Heels plays dumb or lazy - a true ABC hater.....

but how he got so aroused during the game at "Illinois GREAT screens....." then somehow someone must've told him those moving screens all game long were blatantly illegal, and that they should be called for fouls. What a worthless hack announcer he was. I wish I could watch the game with Woody announcing it
Funny you mention that. I rewatched all the Heels championships last year, and noticed that Packer never said anything about Illinois moving screens until very late in the game.

Also, I agree that it would be awesome if all those games could be watched with Woody's call instead.

Here's another great one to watch. Skip to 51 minute mark if you want to see the start of the comeback. Sam Cassell is still choking on that cheese. :D

I was in the building for that game as a student. My buddies and I got up to leave midway through the second half but couldn’t bring ourselves to follow through. Instead, we went to the seats in the very last row of the upper level and watched from there. When George Lynch got the steal for the go-ahead dunk, that place exploded. One of my buddies squeezed me so hard I think he cracked a rib, lol.

Perfect assessment!

I have it on DVD but I’m pretty sure it’s the Nance/Packer call. I seem to remember some enterprising fan overdubbing it with Woody but can’t remember if it was online or something you had to buy.

Reactions: Heelicious
I was in the building for that game as a student. My buddies and I got up to leave midway through the second half but couldn’t bring ourselves to follow through. Instead, we went to the seats in the very last row of the upper level and watched from there. When George Lynch got the steal for the go-ahead dunk, that place exploded. One of my buddies squeezed me so hard I think he cracked a rib, lol.
I had gone to a Hornets game that night, and listened to Woody while we were driving back to Greensboro. I damn near ran off the interstate when Lynch put the Heels ahead. We were all yelling in the car like a bunch of fools. Good times.

Reactions: Raising Heel

No you're right. I should've said we've always been one of the favorites, though not necessarily the favorite. Would be cool to come out of left field and win one, but I'll take a natty any way Roy wants to serve it up :cool:

Reactions: Heelicious
My greatest in person unc b-ball experience was the uva comeback led by Jordan when they had Sampson. Musta been 90degrees in Carmichael. I lost my voice for several days.

hon mention I went to N.C. state to see unc in ‘78. My friend was a huge guy and shot putter for unc and his bro was a powerlifter at state and got us tix. My pal wore a carolina blue leisure suit. Lol. Unc went up 41-9 and all you could hear was our screaming. Then they came back and took the lead. Place was nuts. We were getting pelted with ice and cups. Dudley Bradley fires up a brick and Clyde Austin was bringing the ball up with the lead and the game was over....but then Bradley redeems himself and picks austins pocket while he’s looking up at the game clock and goes down for the slam. We literally ran for our lives out of the stadium. When we got back to chapel hill it was surreal. There were couch fires burning on frat court and toilet paper everywhere.

Got that free medical treatment and bounced. I thought he could be a really good player for us in his last couple of years.
I have to wonder if he sees that his pt next year will be low again. Maybe a transfer closer to home, and a year off to get healthier is best for him. I hope its on good terms and wish him the best

Kind of surprised by that. We have talent coming in but not depth at his position so I think he'd have seen decent PT. Plus after the way Roy/UNC stuck with him through years of injury/rehab. But hope he stays healthy and it works out well for him.

Reactions: tarheel0910
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT