ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

Does that mean hubert disagreed with roy on his use of walker? Or just desperate to fill a slot? I mean i have honestly been mixed in my feelings about coach and players alike for a long time. But to hear kessler was part of the reason coach retired is a tough pill to swallow. For him to come back would almost be a slap in the face. There has to be much more to the story than what we know
Yes - I am guessing some of it is how WK was used, but I wonder if WK had issues with Brooks getting minutes WK thought he deserved. But WK missed a lot of time due to COVID, and didn't seem to me up to speed physically or strategy wise until late in the season.

And even then WK could be dominated by stronger people in the post. Imagine WK going up against teams like Baylor or USC or even FSU - where he seemed to mostly be a no-show. It's not that black and white that he deserved more time.

Yes - I am guessing some of it is how WK was used, but I wonder if WK had issues with Brooks getting minutes WK thought he deserved.
And that's the type of questions he would be asked by the media. Everyone is going to know Roy is the reason he left and I'm not sure how he could give a good answer to those questions. That's probably going to factor into his decision. I think something like that could keep him away.

And how would his teammates react to all of this? Personally, I wouldn't have the best opinion of him as a teammate. I think I could probably suck it up and deal with it on the court, but off the court I wouldn't have anything to do with him.

And that's the type of questions he would be asked by the media. Everyone is going to know Roy is the reason he left and I'm not sure how he could give a good answer to those questions. That's probably going to factor into his decision. I think something like that could keep him away.

And how would his teammates react to all of this? Personally, I wouldn't have the best opinion of him as a teammate. I think I could probably suck it up and deal with it on the court, but off the court I wouldn't have anything to do with him.

On the media - yeah that's tough. I guess he could spin it that he made a quick, emotional decision and once it began to set in he realized that Chapel Hill was the place for him. I think him handling the Roy retirement in a mature way by posting something will help him.

On his teammates - they don't care. Big time players now completely understand a guy doing what is for their own best interest. Do teammates get mad when guys declare for the NBA but then come back? No. I think that "all for one, you're with us or against us" attitude that we and certainly people older than us had is gone. Players support players now.

Reactions: Heelicious
Does that mean hubert disagreed with roy on his use of walker? Or just desperate to fill a slot? I mean i have honestly been mixed in my feelings about coach and players alike for a long time. But to hear kessler was part of the reason coach retired is a tough pill to swallow. For him to come back would almost be a slap in the face. There has to be much more to the story than what we know
For all we know, Roy Williams told Hubert to reach out to him again and try to get him to come back.

Reactions: notashelbyfan
Yes - I am guessing some of it is how WK was used, but I wonder if WK had issues with Brooks getting minutes WK thought he deserved. But WK missed a lot of time due to COVID, and didn't seem to me up to speed physically or strategy wise until late in the season.

And even then WK could be dominated by stronger people in the post. Imagine WK going up against teams like Baylor or USC or even FSU - where he seemed to mostly be a no-show. It's not that black and white that he deserved more time.
For all we know, Roy Williams told Hubert to reach out to him again and try to get him to come back.
That would be very roy like

Reactions: strummingram
On the media - yeah that's tough. I guess he could spin it that he made a quick, emotional decision and once it began to set in he realized that Chapel Hill was the place for him. I think him handling the Roy retirement in a mature way by posting something will help him.

On his teammates - they don't care. Big time players now completely understand a guy doing what is for their own best interest. Do teammates get mad when guys declare for the NBA but then come back? No. I think that "all for one, you're with us or against us" attitude that we and certainly people older than us had is gone. Players support players now.
This situation isn't even remotely similar to declaring for the draft. This is a guy who helped run off the coach that recruited you. It wasn't totally his fault, but Roy specifically mentioned it as an example.

Reactions: gunslingerdick
This situation isn't even remotely similar to declaring for the draft. This is a guy who helped run off the coach that recruited you. It wasn't totally his fault, but Roy specifically mentioned it as an example.

I think it is.

Don’t know what to tell you man. You seem pretty butt hurt that Hubert is pushing for him to come back but taking the pulse of both UNC sites you’re in the pretty far minority on that one.

He’s a kid who seemingly was influenced by a pretty shitty parent. Guys close to the program all say he loved UNC and his father pushed him out. If the kid is now saying FU to his dad and coming back cuz he loves it here then why are we supposed to be mad at him?

I think it is.

Don’t know what to tell you man. You seem pretty butt hurt that Hubert is pushing for him to come back but taking the pulse of both UNC sites you’re in the pretty far minority on that one.

He’s a kid who seemingly was influenced by a pretty shitty parent. Guys close to the program all say he loved UNC and his father pushed him out. If the kid is now saying FU to his dad and coming back cuz he loves it here then why are we supposed to be mad at him?
Why do people over the age of 15 use the team butt hurt? Makes you sound like noir. My issue is that I watched Roy's press conference and saw how sad he was and how bad he felt because he thought he couldn't get it done anymore. Kessler played a part in that. It might have been a very small part, but it was still a part. I want nothing to do with that. Plus TH50 said he's a little bitch, so I stand with him.

Why do people over the age of 15 use the team butt hurt? Makes you sound like noir. My issue is that I watched Roy's press conference and saw how sad he was and how bad he felt because he thought he couldn't get it done anymore. Kessler played a part in that. It might have been a very small part, but it was still a part. I want nothing to do with that. Plus TH50 said he's a little bitch, so I stand with him.

We can disagree about Kessler but I won’t tolerate slandering the term “butt hurt”

I'd like to think more highly of Mr. Roy Williams than to believe he would let one player that played for him for one year run him off a hall of fame career at his dream job. Roy's better than that.

Besides, Roy said he wasn't the best man for the job. Kessler clearly agreed with him on that. Roy clearly thought Hubert was the best man for the job. If Kessler returns, he would again be agreeing with Roy on that. Seems like him and Roy are on the same page.

Its not all about roys retirement or HD seeking kessler out, its about kessler quitting for me. More so about the attitude of the kids today and the culture of basketball in general. I simply miss what i witnessed growing up. Commitment, dedication, and honoring the school.

Its not all about roys retirement or HD seeking kessler out, its about kessler quitting for me. More so about the attitude of the kids today and the culture of basketball in general. I simply miss what i witnessed growing up. Commitment, dedication, and honoring the school.
You’d be shocked to learn how many of your favorite Tar Heels came close to transferring.

Most just didn’t have a dominating Dad like Walker’s, just some shady uncles.

Makes you sound like noir. TH50 said he's a little bitch, so I stand with him.
In all my years of posting here, I would guess I've used the term "butthurt" maybe ten times if that many, and always to describe fellow posters who lash out because their candidate just lost the election or something comparable. Of course, had I referred to such individuals as "a little bitch," by your own low standards it would be all right.

Dean kept an office at the DES Center for a while after he retired. Does anyone remember what he did there after retirement? Do you see Roy doing something similar?

Dean kept an office at the DES Center for a while after he retired. Does anyone remember what he did there after retirement? Do you see Roy doing something similar?
I think Hubert said that he wants Coach Williams to KEEP his present office as it is, because Hubert wants him there. He said it makes him feel comforted to know that Roy is there with him... or something like that.

You’d be shocked to learn how many of your favorite Tar Heels came close to transferring.

Probably wouldnt suprise me. But most listened to a steady hand.

I don't think Kessler had much of an impact on Roy retiring at all. If anything I could see Roy being slightly less tempted to give it one more year since they lost a major talent. Just too many unknowns this offseason to bet on being any better next year.

If the roster looked like 2009 or 2017 there isn't a chance in hell he retires now.

being an old-timer, when this sort of thing comes up, I try to point out the dissension that would occasionally erupt once Dean started signing the super talent. Those young guns would come in throwing shade and if they weren't starting by the third game, the locker room would become an uncomfortable place. One of them did transfer, Cliff Rozier. This article sheds some familiar light on what can fall out from that and what Roy has gone through.

https://www.bradenton.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/alan-dell/article34794525.html

And as a matter of fact, the very best basketball ever played, IMO, was played by those Dean teams when the talent was good but not outrageously good. Talent wins out in the long run, but it's just a beautiful thing to see when players check the egos at the door and buy 100% into a coach and his system.

Brooks looks to be taking his Super Senior season but will do it elsewhere as he has entered transfer portal

At least he proved all those "insiders" on radar are full of shit. Of course anyone paying attention already knew that.
Dude he apparently told Hubert he was coming back. If kids start lying about that shit then good luck to anyone ever trying to predict anything.

Reactions: Heelicious
Dude he apparently told Hubert he was coming back. If kids start lying about that shit then good luck to anyone ever trying to predict anything.
Dude, everyone on radar claiming they are plugged in has fell on their face since the season was over on multiple predictions. Kessler coming back was about the 372 prediction they've gotten wrong.

Reactions: strummingram
I guess the rumor is Auburn tampered during the season. Kid has an older brother that's a lawyer down there...might've played a part. Parents are terrible. Family can be terrible. I feel like Kessler would be a lot better off if they'd stay out of his business.
I agree, but at some point in your life you have to sack up and do what you want to do. I guess his balls haven't dropped yet.

I didn't like the going back after him from the start. But thats troll talk on THR!
I thought Hubert shouldn't have done it so publicly. He looked weak because of it. It's not completely his fault, but it's a bad look because he was public about it. Need some good hires on staff, but since he's only going to hire UNC guys that limits his options. He also needs to get some guys from the portal. I'm not encourage by the hire so far.

ADVERTISEMENT