ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

Dude, everyone on radar claiming they are plugged in has fell on their face since the season was over on multiple predictions. Kessler coming back was about the 372 prediction they've gotten wrong.

Can't speak as much to the basketball side of things, but with Covid, unless you're on campus, or tied into someone close to the program, it's really hard to get good info. I'm not a premium member, but sounds like IC was more confident than warranted as well.

I thought Hubert shouldn't have done it so publicly. He looked weak because of it. It's not completely his fault, but it's a bad look because he was public about it. Need some good hires on staff, but since he's only going to hire UNC guys that limits his options. He also needs to get some guys from the portal. I'm not encourage by the hire so far.
He rolled the dice and he rolled a snake eyes.

It's not looking good, so far. And, I don't have much confidence in him being able to land big-time talent. The HOF coach is gone. It's going to be a tough sell to get these guys to come play for the guy that has never coached anywhere before. He might be able to get some guys. But, he still has to be able to coach them. He was a little too public and boisterous about his self-imposed restrictions, too. It hardly sounds professional or practical to hamstring yourself to only hiring former UNC players. If he's going to be Roy Williams 2.0, then it will not work, in the long term. I doubt it will work in the short-term because... he's NOT Roy Williams.

It sounds warm & fuzzy to be all baby-blue-and-white at a PC full of UNC people that are fresh from basically 60 years of constant UNC success. But, once that feeling wears-off, and the win/loss record doesn't show the right results, that feeling is going to turn into buyer's remorse.

He rolled the dice and he rolled a snake eyes.

It's not looking good, so far. And, I don't have much confidence in him being able to land big-time talent. The HOF coach is gone. It's going to be a tough sell to get these guys to come play for the guy that has never coached anywhere before. He might be able to get some guys. But, he still has to be able to coach them. He was a little too public and boisterous about his self-imposed restrictions, too. It hardly sounds professional or practical to hamstring yourself to only hiring former UNC players. If he's going to be Roy Williams 2.0, then it will not work, in the long term. I doubt it will work in the short-term because... he's NOT Roy Williams.

It sounds warm & fuzzy to be all baby-blue-and-white at a PC full of UNC people that are fresh from basically 60 years of constant UNC success. But, once that feeling wears-off, and the win/loss record doesn't show the right results, that feeling is going to turn into buyer's remorse.
Im going to use the term you already used, "cultish"
UNC has an awesome brand built on right things. But coaching fruit vs player fruit from the same tree is much different. The coaches UNC produces are probably not bad coaches, but definitely not dean or roy like in my book. Hubert is an investment in the existing establishment. People have blamed UNC's lackluster appeal the past few years on many things. Part of it is that system. Being dogmatic in todays enviorment can cost seasons. Im going to give HD a chance, but im not optimistic about the outcome. To me Kessler was toxic in how he left and the rumors that floated around. Then HD goes all in only to allow the school as a whole to get burnt a second time by this kid. We will win without you is deans saying, but deans not at the helm anymore

Heels pick up the OU dude Brady Manek off the portal. He's a stretch 4 that can actually knock down some 3's. Great pickup by Hubert. We only get him for one year, but IMO he'll be more valuable to us than the 1 move year we would've gotten if Kessler stayed.

Heels pick up the OU dude Brady Manek off the portal. He's a stretch 4 that can actually knock down some 3's. Great pickup by Hubert. We only get him for one year, but IMO he'll be more valuable to us than the 1 move year we would've gotten if Kessler stayed.
We'll have to see, but I think Kessler probably would have been a three year guy unless he actually does become an outside threat next year. I guess this is a good pick up, but I just can't get really excited about it since I already know he's a OAD. I'm much more interested to see what Hubert's coaching philosophy will be.

I hope the crap they are saying on raidar isnt true about a possibility of kessler coming anyway. I really dont want a fickle wishy washy kid on the team

7f5fe2ca-bdba-48db-837c-cbd7aa1e3c8c-db1f0661bd.png

K is retiring after this year. Not surprised, because I thought he was just waiting for Roy to retire. Announcing his retirement now should hurt their recruiting, so I'm good with that.

There's the difference between the two men. One needs a full-blown Farewell Tour for an entire season. The other, he retires somewhat surprisingly, and fairly modestly, immediately AFTER the season ends.

Reactions: carolinablue34
Ya, that egomaniacal prick couldn't bear to not get the red carpet rolled out for him at every stop along the way this year as a farewell tour.

I wonder if he'll actually book some out of conference road games for once so that he can get the ball washing treatment at as many places as possible.

Reactions: Heelicious
Ya, that egomaniacal prick couldn't bear to not get the red carpet rolled out for him at every stop along the way this year as a farewell tour.

I wonder if he'll actually book some out of conference road games for once so that he can get the ball washing treatment at as many places as possible.
Probably all the original acc teams

So what's the deal with Shaver, @dadika13? I know you follow recruiting closely, so figured you could give me a run down. Seems like a pretty blah commitment.

So what's the deal with Shaver, @dadika13? I know you follow recruiting closely, so figured you could give me a run down. Seems like a pretty blah commitment.
Much better than the ranking. He lost like 40 pounds and turned into a hell of a player and crushed a more recent AAU event. He’s a big that can step out and he’s got solid post moves. His jumper is very good.

I’d bet he’s ranked around 75 and a 4 star by this time next year. He should be a good 4 year player, Jawad Williams type.

Also, I think more importantly, we need to see if Hubert can close these kids when they OV. He’s 1 for 1.

I heard Sean May was a big part of this and he’s an absolute star on the recruiting trail.

Much better than the ranking. He lost like 40 pounds and turned into a hell of a player and crushed a more recent AAU event. He’s a big that can step out and he’s got solid post moves. His jumper is very good.

I’d bet he’s ranked around 75 and a 4 star by this time next year. He should be a good 4 year player, Jawad Williams type.

His offer list is legit so I think everybody knows he's way underranked.

I hadn't heard or seen much of him before he committed yesterday so I spent some time reading about him and watching his highlights. Even trimmed down, he doesn't look like a great rim runner. A bit of a plodder. He does have good hands and a great stroke. I like that he never seems rushed or panicked. Good poise and a smooth, calm game. He didn't look like much of a presence defensively or on the boards in the clips I watched but he is 6'10" and long.

My concern is how does this impact us with other bigs we're recruiting - Lively, Traudt, Green, Washington? I think we still need 2 more of that group (Lively and Traudt being my preference).

Reactions: dadika13
His offer list is legit so I think everybody knows he's way underranked.

I hadn't heard or seen much of him before he committed yesterday so I spent some time reading about him and watching his highlights. Even trimmed down, he doesn't look like a great rim runner. A bit of a plodder. He does have good hands and a great stroke. I like that he never seems rushed or panicked. Good poise and a smooth, calm game. He didn't look like much of a presence defensively or on the boards in the clips I watched but he is 6'10" and long.

My concern is how does this impact us with other bigs we're recruiting - Lively, Traudt, Green, Washington? I think we still need 2 more of that group (Lively and Traudt being my preference).
So I still think we take 2 more bigs. We have 5 scholarships for 2022 and I think we want 3 of those 4/5 guys, one wing (Taylor is my hope/prediction) and a PG.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT